Background & Aims
Abbreviations:HBV (hepatitis B virus), HCV (hepatitis C virus), HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma), NSW (New South Wales), NDD (Notifiable Diseases Database), RBDM (Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages), ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), NHD (National HIV Database), NAR (National AIDS Registry), NCHECR (National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research), SMR (standardised mortality ratio), NSPs (Needle and Syringe Programs)
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hepatitis B and hepatitis C in 2009.Liver Int. 2009; 29: 1-8
- Natural History of Hepatitis C.Clin Liver Dis. 2005; 9: 383-398
- The Natural History of Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection.Hepatology. 2009; 49: S45-S55
- Prospective study of hepatocellular carcinoma and liver cirrhosis in asymptomatic chronic hepatitis B virus carriers.Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 1039-1047
- Estimation of stage-specific fibrosis progression rates in chronic hepatitis C virus infection: a meta-analysis and meta-regression.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 418-431
- Natural history models for hepatitis C-related liver disease: different disease progression parameters for different settings.Antivir Ther. 2003; 8: 365-372
- Estimating progression to cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis C virus infection.Hepatology. 2001; 34: 809-816
- The development of cirrhosis in patients with chronic type B hepatitis: a prospective study.Hepatology. 1988; 8: 493-496
- Causes of death after diagnosis of hepatitis B or Hepatitis C infection: a large community-based linkage study.Lancet. 2006; 368: 938-945
- Cause of death in individuals with chronic HBV and/or HCV infection, a nationwide community-based register study.J Viral Hepatol. 2008; 15: 538-550
- A population-based record linkage study of mortality in hepatitis C-diagnosed persons with or without HIV coinfection in Scotland.Stat Methods Med Res. 2009; 18: 271-283
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Demographic Statistics, September 2009. Cat. No. 3101.0. Canberra; 2009.
- Antiviral therapy for adults with chronic hepatitis B: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 111-124
- Modelling the hepatitis C virus epidemic in Australia.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007; 91: 228-235
- The epidemiology of hepatitis C in Australia: notifications, treatment uptake and liver transplantations, 1997–2006.Hepatology. 2009; 24: 1648-1654
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research. Australian NSP Survey National Data Report 2003–2007. Sydney: National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales; 2008.
- Chronic Hepatitis B.Hepatology. 2007; 45: 507-539
- Estimates of chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Australia, 2000.Aust NZ J Public Health. 2004; 28: 212-216
- Modelling hepatitis C virus incidence, prevalence and long-term sequelae in Australia, 2001.Int J Epidemiol. 2003; 32: 717-724
Cowie B, Kelly H. Outcomes of a complex dynamic mathematical model of hepatitis B virus in Australia (PP-027). In: 20th Conference of the Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver (APASL). Beijing: Hepatology International; 2010.
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Drug-induced Deaths – A Guide to ABS Causes of Death Data. Cat. No. 4809.0.55.001. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra; 2002.
- The pattern of diagnosed HIV infection in Australia, 1984–1992.AIDS. 1994; 8: 513-519
ChoiceMaker Technologies, Inc. New York, NY 10010.
The Centre for Health Record Linkage. Available from: www.cherel.org.au.
- Documenting the heroin shortage in New South Wales.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2006; 25: 297-305
- Effects of a sustained heroin shortage in three Australian States.Addiction. 2005; 100: 908-920
- An evaluation of a heroin overdose prevention and education campaign.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010; 29: 5-11
- Impact of a reduction in heroin availability on patterns of drug use, risk behaviour and incidence of hepatitis C virus infection in injecting drug users in New South Wales, Australia.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007; 89: 244-250
- Changes in patterns of drug injection concurrent with a sustained reduction in the availability of heroin in Australia.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2003; 70: 275-286
- The impact of illicit drug market changes on health agency operations in Sydney, Australia.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2005; 28: 35-40
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research. HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis and sexually transmissible infections in Australia Annual Surveillance Report 2009. Sydney: National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales; 2009.
- Lamivudine treatment of decompensated hepatitis B virus-related cirrhosis.Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2006; 5: 10-15
- Lamivudine as initial treatment for chronic hepatitis B in the United States.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1256-1263
- Lamivudine for patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced liver disease.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1521-1531
- Therapeutic advances in chronic hepatitis B.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 19: S5-S9
- Chronic hepatitis B – treatment with nucleoside analogues.Med J Malaysia. 2005; 60: 22-27
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of adefovir dipivoxil and pegylated interferon-alpha-2a for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.J Viral Hepatol. 2007; 14: 75-88
- Antiviral therapy in compensated and decompensated cirrhotic patients with chronic HCV infection.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009; 10: 1929-1938
- Antiviral therapy of HBV- and HCV-induced liver cirrhosis.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2000; 30: 234-241
Gidding HF, Dore GJ, Amin J, Law MG. Trends in all cause and liver-related hospitalizations in people with hepatitis B or C: a population-based linkage study. BMC Public Health 2010; accepted for publication.
- Predictors and survival in hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma in New South Wales, Australia.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009; 24: 436-442
- Liver cancer and hepatitis B and C in New South Wales, 1990–2002: a linkage study.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2007; 31: 475-482
- An epidemiologic study of hepatocellular carcinoma in Canada.Can J Public Health. 2002; 93: 443-446
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: recent trends in the United States.Gastroenterology. 2004; 127: S27-S34
- Hepatocellular carcinoma incidence, mortality, and survival trends in the United States from 1975 to 2005.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 1485-1491
- Estimates and projections of hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma in Australia among people born in Asia-Pacific countries.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 23: 922-929
- Characterization of hepatocellular carcinoma developed after achieving sustained virological response to interferon therapy for hepatitis C.J Surg Oncol. 2009; 99: 32-37
- Development of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis C who had a sustained virological response to interferon therapy: a multicenter, retrospective cohort study of 1124 patients.Liver Int. 2007; 27: 186-191
- Spontaneous viral clearance following acute hepatitis C infection: a systematic review of longitudinal studies.J Viral Hepatol. 2006; 13: 34-41