Dosimetry and radiobiology
- Chiesa C.
- Maccauro M.
- Romito R.
- Spreafico C.
- Pellizzari S.
- Negri A.
- et al.
- Lau W.Y.
- Kennedy A.S.
- Kim Y.H.
- Lai H.K.
- Lee R.C.
- Leung T.W.
- et al.
Tolerability and safety
Treatment outcomes and potential roles according to tumor stages
Intermediate and early stages
Inclusion in the treatment paradigm and future prospects
Conflict of interest
- Transcatheter therapy for hepatic malignancy: standardization of terminology and reporting criteria.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2009; 20: S425-S434
- General selection criteria of patients for radioembolization of liver tumors: an International Working Group report.Am J Clin Oncol. 2011; 34: 337-341
- Transarterial therapies for hepatocellular carcinoma.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011; 12: 1057-1073
- Radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: systematic review of radiobiology and modeling projections indicate reconsideration of its use.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 25: 664-671
- Hepatic toxicity resulting from cancer treatment.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995; 31: 1237-1248
- Partial volume tolerance of the liver to radiation.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2005; 15: 279-283
- Hepatic arterial 90Yttrium glass microspheres (Therasphere) for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: interim safety and survival data on 65 patients.Liver Transpl. 2004; 10: S107-S110
- Treatment of nonresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with intrahepatic 90Y-microspheres.J Nucl Med. 2000; 41: 1673-1681
- Radiation lobectomy: preliminary findings of hepatic volumetric response to lobar yttrium-90 radioembolization.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16: 1587-1596
- Analysis of prognostic factors after Yttrium-90 radioembolization of advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 77: 1441-1448
- Yttrium-90 microspheres (TheraSphere) treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: downstaging to resection, RFA and bridge to transplantation.J Surg Oncol. 2006; 94: 572-586
- Safety and efficacy of 90Y radiotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma with and without portal vein thrombosis.Hepatology. 2008; 47: 71-81
- Selective internal radiation therapy for nonresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with intraarterial infusion of 90yttrium microspheres.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 40: 583-592
- Treatment of inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma with intrahepatic arterial yttrium-90 microspheres: a phase I and II study.Br J Cancer. 1994; 70: 994-999
- Treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with use of 90Y microspheres (TheraSphere): safety, tumor response, and survival.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2005; 16: 1627-1639
- Radioembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma using Yttrium-90 microspheres: a comprehensive report of long-term outcomes.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 52-64
- Radioembolization using 90Y-resin microspheres for patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 792-800
- Radiologic–pathologic correlation of hepatocellular carcinoma treated with internal radiation using yttrium-90 microspheres.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1185-1193
- Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the Barcelona-2000 EASL conference. European Association for the Study of the Liver.J Hepatol. 2001; 35: 421-430
- Role of the EASL, RECIST, and WHO response guidelines alone or in combination for hepatocellular carcinoma: radiologic–pathologic correlation.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: 695-704
- Computer modeling of yttrium-90-microsphere transport in the hepatic arterial tree to improve clinical outcomes.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: 631-637
- Pathologic response and microdosimetry of (90)Y microspheres in man: review of four explanted whole livers.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004; 60: 1552-1563
- Multimodality imaging can predict the metabolic response of unresectable colorectal liver metastases to radioembolization therapy with Yttrium-90 labeled resin microspheres.Phys Med Biol. 2008; 53: 6591-6603
- Dose distribution following selective internal radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1991; 21: 463-467
- Quantitative comparison of yttrium-90 (90Y)-microspheres and technetium-99m (99mTc)-macroaggregated albumin SPECT images for planning 90Y therapy of liver cancer.Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 9: 253-262
- Diagnostic pharmaco-scintigraphy with hepatic intra-arterial technetium-99m macroaggregated albumin in the determination of tumour to non-tumour uptake ratio in hepatocellular carcinoma.Br J Radiol. 1994; 67: 136-139
- Need, feasibility and convenience of dosimetric treatment planning in liver selective internal radiation therapy with 90Y microspheres: the experience of the National Tumor Institute of Milan.Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011; 55: 168-197
- Efficacy and toxicity related to treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma with 90Y-SIR spheres: radiobiologic considerations.J Nucl Med. 2010; 51: 1377-1385
- Patient selection and activity planning guide for selective internal radiotherapy with Yttrium-90 resin microspheres.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.08.015
- Safety and efficacy of Y-90 microsphere treatment in patients with primary and metastatic liver cancer: the tumor selectivity of the treatment as a function of tumor to liver flow ratio.J Transl Med. 2007; 5: 15
- Radioembolization with yttrium-90 glass microspheres in hepatocellular carcinoma: European experience on safety and long-term survival.Hepatology. 2010; 52: 1741-1749
- Radiographic response to locoregional therapy in hepatocellular carcinoma predicts patient survival times.Gastroenterology. 2011; 141: 526-535
- Survival after (90) Y resin microsphere radioembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma across BCLC stages: a European evaluation.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 868-878
- Radioembolization with use of yttrium-90 resin microspheres in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and portal vein thrombosis.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010; 21: 1205-1212
- A prospective study regarding the complications of transcatheter intraarterial lipiodol chemoembolization in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer. 2002; 94: 1747-1752
- Safety of yttrium-90 microsphere radioembolization in patients with biliary obstruction.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010; 21: 1213-1218
- Biocompatibility, inflammatory response, and recanalization characteristics of nonradioactive resin microspheres: histological findings.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2009; 32: 727-736
- Gastroduodenal injury after radioembolization of hepatic tumors.Am J Gastroenterol. 2007; 102: 1216-1220
- Gastroduodenal ulceration associated with radioembolization for the treatment of hepatic tumors: an institutional experience and review of the literature.Dig Dis Sci. 2010; 55: 2450-2458
- Radiation pneumonitis after selective internal radiation treatment with intraarterial 90yttrium-microspheres for inoperable hepatic tumors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995; 33: 919-924
- Adverse hepatic events caused by radiotherapy for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 20: 1512-1518
- Hepatic structural dosimetry in (90)Y microsphere treatment: a Monte Carlo modeling approach based on lobular microanatomy.J Nucl Med. 2010; 51: 301-310
- Liver disease induced by radioembolization of liver tumors: description and possible risk factors.Cancer. 2008; 112: 1538-1546
Force UPST. Guide to clinical preventive services: report of the US Preventive Services Task Force. In: Publishing D, editor; 1998. p. 24.
- Randomized controlled trial for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis: intra-arterial iodine-131-iodized oil versus medical support.J Nucl Med. 1994; 35: 1782-1787
- Prospective randomized trial of chemoembolization versus intra-arterial injection of 131I-labeled-iodized oil in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 1997; 26: 1156-1161
- Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 378-390
- A retrospective comparative analysis of the effect of Y90-radioembolization on the survival of patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatogastroenterology. 2009; 56: 1683-1688
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): subanalysis of Sharp trial based on Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer (BCLC) stage.J Hepatol. 2009; 50: S28
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma and prior antitumor therapy: a subanalysis from the SHARP trial.J Hepatol. 2008; 20 ([Abs. 994]): S372
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma according to ECOG performance status: a subanalysis from the SHARP trial.J Clin Oncol. 2008; ([Abs 4587])
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma and vascular invasion or extrahepatic spread: a subanalysis from the SHARP trial.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 4584
- Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1020-1022
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients in the Asia–Pacific region with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase III randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 25-34
- Is selective internal radioembolization safe and effective for patients with inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma and venous thrombosis?.J Am Coll Surg. 2009; 208: 375-382
- Clinical features and prognosis of patients with extrahepatic metastases from hepatocellular carcinoma.World J Gastroenterol. 2007; 13: 414-420
- Arterial embolisation or chemoembolisation versus symptomatic treatment in patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1734-1739
- Randomized controlled trial of transarterial lipiodol chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2002; 35: 1164-1171
- Transarterial chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Radiology. 2002; 224: 47-54
- Systematic review of randomized trials for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: chemoembolization improves survival.Hepatology. 2003; 37: 429-442
- Evolving strategies for the management of intermediate-stage hepatocellular carcinoma: available evidence and expert opinion on the use of transarterial chemoembolization.Cancer Treat Rev. 2011; 37: 212-220
- Applicability of staging systems for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma is dependent on treatment method – analysis of 2010 Taiwanese patients.Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 1630-1639
- Chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: comprehensive imaging and survival analysis in a 172-patient cohort.Radiology. 2010; 255: 955-965
- The efficacy of treatment schedules according to Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer staging for hepatocellular carcinoma – Survival analysis of 3892 patients.Eur J Cancer. 2008; 44: 1000-1006
- Radioembolization results in longer time-to-progression and reduced toxicity compared with chemoembolization in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2011; 140 (e492): 497-507
- Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in relation to treatment across BCLC stages.Ann Surg Oncol. 2011; 18: 1964-1971
- Therapeutic equivalence in survival for hepatic arterial chemoembolization and yttrium 90 microsphere treatments in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a two-cohort study.Cancer. 2011; 116: 1305-1314
- Comparison of yttrium-90 radioembolization and transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for the treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010; 21: 224-230
- Efficacy of selective transarterial chemoembolization in inducing tumor necrosis in small (<5 cm) hepatocellular carcinomas.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1580-1589
- Radiologic-pathologic correlation of hepatocellular carcinoma treated with chemoembolization.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2010; 33: 1143-1152
- Histopathologic outcome of neoadjuvant image-guided therapy of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Gastrointest Liver Dis. 2009; 18: 169-176
- Radiofrequency ablation of small hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhotic patients awaiting liver transplantation: a prospective study.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 900-909
- Short-term follow-up of radioembolization with yttrium-90 microspheres before liver transplantation: new perspectives in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.Transplantation. 2010; 90: 930-931
- Use of yttrium-90 microspheres (TheraSphere) in a patient with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma leading to liver transplantation: a case report.Liver Transpl. 2005; 11: 1127-1131
- A comparative analysis of transarterial downstaging for hepatocellular carcinoma: chemoembolization versus radioembolization.Am J Transplant. 2009; 9: 1920-1928
- Radiation segmentectomy: a novel approach to increase safety and efficacy of radioembolization.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 163-171
- Comparison of post-embolization syndrome in the treatment of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: trans-catheter arterial chemo-embolization versus yttrium-90 glass microspheres.World J Nucl Med. 2004; 3: 49-56
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: v59-v64
National comprehensive cancer network clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Hepatobiliary guidelines. V2.2010. Available from: www.ncccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/hepatobiliary.pdf [accessed 08.06.11].
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: consensus recommendations of the National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials Planning Meeting.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3994-4005
- Yttrium-90 microspheres for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2004; 127: S194-S205
- Treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma with intrahepatic yttrium 90 microspheres: a risk-stratification analysis.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2005; 16: 195-203
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy