Background & Aims
Abbreviations:HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma), AFP (alpha-fetoprotein), OS (overall survival), ALT (alanine aminotransferase), AST (aspartic aminotransferase), SHARP (Sorafenib HCC Assessment Randomized Protocol), AP (Sorafenib Asia-Pacific Trial), TTP (time to disease progression), ECOG (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group), ULN (upper limit of normal), DCR (disease control rate), RECIST (Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors), CR (complete response), PR (partial response), SD (stable disease), NCI–CTCAE (National Cancer Institute–Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events), HR (hazard ratio), CI (confidence interval), AE (adverse event), SAE (serious adverse event)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
- Tumor and liver determinants of prognosis in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a large case cohort study.Hepatol Int. 2009; 4: 396-405
- Clinical features and prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma with reference to serum alpha-fetoprotein levels: analysis of 606 patients.Cancer. 1989; 64: 1700-1707
- Prognostic factors in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma treated with sorafenib: a retrospective comparison with previously known prognostic models.Oncology. 2011; 80: 167-174
- Analysis of 6381 hepatocellular carcinoma patients in southern Taiwan: prognostic features, treatment outcome, and survival.J Gastroenterol. 2008; 43: 159-170
- Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices.Br J Surg. 1973; 60: 646-649
- Natural history of hepatocellular carcinoma and prognosis in relation to treatment: study of 850 patients.Cancer. 1985; 56: 918-928
A new prognostic system for hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective study of 435 patients: the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program (CLIP) investigators. Hepatology 1998;28:751–755.
Prospective validation of the CLIP score: a new prognostic system for patients with cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma: the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program (CLIP) investigators. Hepatology 2000;31:840–845.
- Construction of the Chinese University Prognostic Index for hepatocellular carcinoma and comparison with the TNM staging system, the Okuda staging system, and the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program staging system: a study based on 926 patients.Cancer. 2002; 94: 1760-1769
- Prognostic staging system for hepatocellular carcinoma (CLIP score): its value and limitations, and a proposal for a new staging system, the Japan Integrated Staging Score (JIS score).J Gastroenterol. 2003; 38: 207-215
- Validation of a new prognostic staging system for hepatocellular carcinoma: the JIS score compared with the CLIP score.Hepatology. 2004; 40: 1396-1405
- Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: the BCLC staging classification.Semin Liver Dis. 1999; 19: 329-338
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Hepatobiliary Cancers v. 2.2010, www.nccn.org [accessed 19.07.11].
- The molecular basis of cancer and the development of targeted therapy.Surg Clin North Am. 2009; 89: 1-15
- Molecular targeted therapies in hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 1312-1327
- Development of sorafenib and other molecularly targeted agents in hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer. 2008; 112: 250-259
- BAY 43-9006: preclinical data.Curr Pharm Des. 2002; 8: 2255-2257
- BAY 43-9006 exhibits broad spectrum oral antitumor activity and targets the RAF/MEK/ERK pathway and receptor tyrosine kinases involved in tumor progression and angiogenesis.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 7099-7109
- BAY 43-9006 inhibition of oncogenic RET mutants.J Nat Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 326-334
- SHARP Investigators Study Group. Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 378-390
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients in the Asia-Pacific region with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase III randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 25-34
- Sorafenib in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma from mild to advanced stage liver cirrhosis.Oncologist. 2009; 14: 70-76
- Prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: comparison of 7 staging systems in an American cohort.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 707-716
- Evaluation of abnormal liver-enzyme results in asymptomatic patients.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1266-1271
- Close association between high serum alanine aminotransferase levels and multicentric hepatocarcinogenesis in patients with hepatitis C virus-associated cirrhosis.Cancer. 2002; 94: 1787-1795
- Abundance of immunologically active alanine aminotransferase in sera of liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma patients.Clin Chem. 2009; 55: 1022-1025
- The role of serum alpha-fetoprotein estimation in the diagnosis and management of hepatocellular carcinoma.Clin Liver Dis. 2001; 5: 145-159
- A new prognostic classification for predicting survival in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Groupe d’Etude et de Traitement du Carcinome Hepatocellulaire.J Hepatol. 1999; 31: 133-141
- A new prognostic score system in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma not amenable to locoregional therapy: implication for patient selection in systemic therapy trials.Cancer. 2008; 113: 2742-2751
- The significance of early alpha-fetoprotein level changes in predicting clinical and survival benefits in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma patients receiving sorafenib.Oncologist. 2011; 16: 1270-1279
- Evaluation of abnormal liver function tests.Postgrad Med J. 2003; 79: 307-312
- Inhibition of paracetamol glucuronidation by tyrosine kinase inhibitors.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 71: 917-920
- Molecular genetic basis of Gilbert’s syndrome.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1999; 14: 960-966
- UGT1A1 polymorphism and hyperbilirubinemia in a patient who received sorafenib.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009; 65: 1-4
☆Presented in part in abstract form at: (1) American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute/American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)/American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)/Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) 2010 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium; Orlando, Florida, USA, January 22–24, 2010; (2) 46th ASCO Annual Meeting; Chicago, Illinois, USA, June 4–8, 2010; (3) 4th Annual International Liver Cancer Association (ILCA) Conference; Montreal, Québec, Canada, September 10–12, 2010; (4) European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Annual Meeting; Milan, Italy, October 8–12, 2010.