Abbreviations:ABC (ATP-binding cassette), CCC (cholangiocarcinoma), CT (computed tomography), FNH (focal nodular hyperplasia), Gd-BOPTA (gadobenate dimeglumine), Gd-DO3A-butrol (gadobutrol), Gd-DOTA (gadoterate dimeglumine), Gd-EOB-DTPA (gadolinium ethoxybenzyl dimeglumine), Gd-DTPA (gadopentetate dimeglumine), HA (hepatocellular adenoma), HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma), ICG (indocyanin green), MELD (Mayo end-stage liver disease), MR (magnetic resonance), MRP (multidrug resistance protein), NTCP (sodium taurocholate-cotransporting polypeptide), OATP (organic anion transporter), SCTO (solute carrier transporter family of the OATPs), TIPS (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt)
Characteristics of Gd-EOB-DTPA
- Haradome H.
- Grazioli L.
- Tsunoo M.
- Tinti R.
- Frittoli B.
- Gambarini S.
- et al.
- Beuers U.
- Bilzer M.
- Chittattu A.
- Kullak-Ublick G.A.
- Keppler D.
- Paumgartner G.
- et al.
Liver tumor detection
- Ichikawa T.
- Saito K.
- Yoshioka N.
- Tanimoto A.
- Gokan T.
- Takehara Y.
- et al.
- Zech C.J.
- Grazioli L.
- Jonas E.
- Ekman M.
- Niebecker R.
- Gschwend S.
- et al.
- Zech C.J.
- Grazioli L.
- Jonas E.
- Ekman M.
- Niebecker R.
- Gschwend S.
- et al.
Liver tumor characterization
- Husarik D.B.
- Gupta R.T.
- Ringe K.I.
- Boll D.T.
- Merkle E.M.
Benign hepatocellular tumors
Bile duct diseases
Assessment of liver function
Conflict of interest
- Contrast-enhanced MR imaging of the liver.Radiology. 1997; 203: 297-306
- Biomarkers in abdominal imaging.Abdom Imaging. 2009; 34: 663-667
- Hepatobiliary contrast agents for contrast-enhanced MRI of the liver: properties, clinical development and applications.Eur Radiol. 2004; 14: 559-578
- Gadoxetate disodium-enhanced MRI of the liver: part 1, protocol optimization and lesion appearance in the noncirrhotic liver.Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: 13-28
- Pharmacokinetics and imaging properties of Gd-EOB-DTPA in patients with hepatic and renal impairment.Invest Radiol. 2011; 46: 556-566
- Preclinical evaluation of Gd-EOB-DTPA as a contrast agent in MR imaging of the hepatobiliary system.Radiology. 1992; 183: 59-64
- Comparison of magnetic properties of MRI contrast media solutions at different magnetic field strengths.Invest Radiol. 2005; 40: 715-724
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of abdominal solid organ and major vessel: comparison of enhancement effect between Gd-EOB-DTPA and Gd-DTPA.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 29: 636-640
- Vascular enhancement in early dynamic liver MR imaging in an animal model: comparison of two injection regimen and two different doses Gd-EOB-DTPA (gadoxetic acid) with standard Gd-DTPA.Invest Radiol. 2009; 44: 305-310
- Can MR fluoroscopic triggering technique and slow rate injection provide appropriate arterial phase images with reducing artifacts on gadoxetic acid-DTPA (Gd-EOB-DTPA)-enhanced hepatic MR imaging?.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010; 32: 334-340
- Dilution method of gadolinium ethoxybenzyl diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid (Gd-EOB-DTPA)-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 30: 849-854
- Double-dose gadoxetic acid-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in patients with chronic liver disease.Invest Radiol. 2011; 46: 141-145
- Diagnostic efficacy of gadoxetic acid (Primovist)-enhanced MRI and spiral CT for a therapeutic strategy: comparison with intraoperative and histopathologic findings in focal liver lesions.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 457-467
- Efficiency, thermodynamic and kinetic stability of marketed gadolinium chelates and their possible clinical consequences: a critical review.Biometals. 2008; 21: 469-490
- NSF prevention in clinical practice: summary of recommendations and guidelines in the United States, Canada, and Europe.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 30: 1357-1363
- Mechanism of hepatic uptake of gadoxetate disodium.Acad Radiol. 1996; 3: S232-S234
- Membrane transporters in drug development.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2010; 9: 215-236
- Hepatic uptake of the magnetic resonance imaging contrast agent Gd-EOB-DTPA: role of human organic anion transporters.Drug Metab Dispos. 2010; 38: 1024-1028
- Hepatic uptake of the magnetic resonance imaging contrast agent gadoxetate by the organic anion transporting polypeptide Oatp1.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999; 290: 153-157
- Molecular cloning and functional characterization of the mouse organic-anion-transporting polypeptide 1 (Oatp1) and mapping of the gene to chromosome X.Biochem J. 2000; 345: 115-120
- OATPs, OATs and OCTs: the organic anion and cation transporters of the SLCO and SLC22A gene superfamilies.Br J Pharmacol. 2012; 165: 1260-1287
- Multidrug resistance proteins (MRPs/ABCCs) in cancer chemotherapy and genetic diseases.FEBS J. 2011; 278: 3226-3245
- Retrieval of the mrp2 gene encoded conjugate export pump from the canalicular membrane contributes to cholestasis induced by tert-butyl hydroperoxide and chloro-dinitrobenzene.Biol Chem. 2000; 381: 487-495
- Tauroursodeoxycholic acid inserts the apical conjugate export pump, Mrp2, into canalicular membranes and stimulates organic anion secretion by protein kinase C-dependent mechanisms in cholestatic rat liver.Hepatology. 2001; 33: 1206-1216
- Enterohepatic bile salt transporters in normal physiology and liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 322-342
- Gadolinium-ethoxybenzyl-diethylenetriamine-pentaacetic acid interaction with clinical drugs in rats.Invest Radiol. 2002; 37: 680-684
- Evaluation of possible drug-drug interaction between gadoxetic acid and erythromycin as an inhibitor of organic anion transporting peptides (OATP).J Magn Reson Imaging. 2011; 33: 409-1622
- Phase II clinical evaluation of Gd-EOB-DTPA: dose, safety aspects, and pulse sequence.Radiology. 1996; 199: 177-183
- Liver tumors: comparison of MR imaging with Gd-EOB-DTPA and Gd-DTPA.Radiology. 1996; 200: 59-67
- Detection and characterization of focal liver lesions: a Japanese phase III, multicenter comparison between gadoxetic acid disodium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and contrast-enhanced computed tomography predominantly in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and chronic liver disease.Invest Radiol. 2010; 45: 133-141
- Added value of gadoxetic acid-enhanced hepatobiliary phase MR imaging in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma.Radiology. 2010; 255: 459-466
- Intraindividual comparison of gadoxetate disodium-enhanced MR imaging and 64-section multidetector CT in the detection of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis.Radiology. 2010; 256: 806-816
- Current limitations and potential breakthroughs for the early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma.Gut Liver. 2010; 5: 15-21
- Detection and characterisation of focal liver lesions in colorectal carcinoma patients: comparison of diffusion-weighted and GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MR imaging.Eur Radiol. 2011; 21: 832-840
- Detection and characterization of focal hepatic tumors: a comparison of T2-weighted MR images before and after the administration of gadoxectic acid.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 30: 437-443
- Imaging of liver on 3.0-Tesla system: effect of intravenous administration of gadoxetic acid disodium.Eur Radiol. 2010; 20: 1052-1060
- Health-economic evaluation of three imaging strategies in patients with suspected colorectal liver metastases: GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI vs. extracellular contrast media-enhanced MRI and 3-phase MDCT in Germany, Italy and Sweden.Eur Radiol. 2009; 19: S753-S763
- Contrast enhanced liver MRI in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis: inverse appearance of focal confluent fibrosis on delayed phase MR images with hepatocyte specific versus extracellular gadolinium based contrast agents.Acad Radiol. 2011; 18: 1549-1554
Gupta RT, Marin D, Boll DT, Husarik DB, Davis DE, Feuerlein S, et al. Hepatic hemangiomas: difference in enhancement pattern on 3T MR imaging with gadobenate dimeglumine versus gadoxetate disodium. Eur J Radiol, 2011 [Epub ahead of print].
- Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1020-1022
- Diagnosis of hepatic nodules 20 mm or smaller in cirrhosis: prospective validation of the noninvasive diagnostic criteria for hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2008; 47: 97-104
- Pathologic diagnosis of early hepatocellular carcinoma: a report of the international consensus group for hepatocellular neoplasia.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 658-664
- Will Gd-EOB-MRI change the diagnostic algorithm in hepatocellular carcinoma?.Oncology. 2010; 78: 87-93
- GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced magnetic resonance images of hepatocellular carcinoma: correlation with histological grading and portal blood flow.Eur Radiol. 2010; 20: 2405-2413
- Distinguishing hypervascular pseudolesions of the liver from hypervascular hepatocellular carcinomas with gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging.Radiology. 2010; 256: 151-158
- Imaging study of early hepatocellular carcinoma: usefulness of gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging.Radiology. 2011; 261: 834-844
- Consensus report of the 4th international forum for gadolinium-ethoxybenzyl-diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid magnetic resonance imaging.Korean J Radiol. 2011; 12: 403-415
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: hepatocyte-selective enhancement at gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging – correlation with expression of sinusoidal and canalicular transporters and bile accumulation.Radiology. 2010; 255: 824-833
- Paradoxical high signal intensity of hepatocellular carcinoma in the hepatobiliary phase of GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI: initial experience.Magn Reson Imaging. 2011; 29: 83-90
- Hepatobiliary transporter expression in human hepatocellular carcinoma.Liver Int. 2005; 25: 367-379
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: signal intensity at gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging – correlation with molecular transporters and histopathologic features.Radiology. 2010; 256: 817-826
- OATP 1B1/1B3 expression in hepatocellular carcinomas treated with orthotopic liver transplantation.Virchows Arch. 2011; 459: 141-146
- The uptake transporter OATP8 expression decreases during multistep hepatocarcinogenesis: correlation with gadoxetic acid enhanced MR imaging.Eur Radiol. 2011; 21: 2056-2066
- Gadoxetate disodium-enhanced hepatobiliary phase MRI of hepatocellular carcinoma: correlation with histological characteristics.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 197: 399-405
- Molecular classification of hepatocellular carcinoma.Dig Liver Dis. 2010; 42: S235-S241
- Multidrug resistance protein 2 implicates anticancer drug-resistance to sorafenib.Biol Pharm Bull. 2011; 34: 433-435
- Diagnostic and pathogenetic implications of the expression of hepatic transporters in focal lesions occurring in normal liver.J Pathol. 2005; 207: 471-482
- Diagnostic performance and description of morphological features of focal nodular hyperplasia in GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced liver magnetic resonance imaging: results of a multicenter trial.Invest Radiol. 2008; 43: 504-511
- Focal nodular hyperplasia-like nodule with reduced expression of organic anion transporter 1B3 in alcoholic liver cirrhosis.Intern Med. 2011; 50: 1193-1199
- Hepatocyte-specific magnetic resonance imaging contrast agents.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 678-682
- Multiple hepatocellular adenomas in a patient with glycogen storage disease type I: various enhancement patterns in MRI with Gd-EOB-DTPA.Abdom Imaging. 2012; 37: 239-243
- Enhancement of focal liver lesions at gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging: correlation with histopathologic findings and spiral CT – initial observations.Radiology. 2005; 234: 468-478
- Hepatocellular adenomas: accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging and liver biopsy in subtype classification.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1182-1191
- Hepatobiliary transit times of gadoxetate disodium (Primovist) for protocol optimization of comprehensive MR imaging of the biliary system – what is normal?.Eur J Radiol. 2011; 79: 201-205
- Biliary MR imaging with Gd-EOB-DTPA and its clinical applications.Radiographics. 2009; 29: 1707-1724
- Gd-EOB-DTPA as a functional MR cholangiography contrast agent: imaging gallbladder filling in patients with and without hepatobiliary dysfunction.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2011; 35: 439-445
Tamada T, Ito K, Sone T, Kanki A, Sato T, Higashi H. GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MR imaging: evaluation of biliary and renal excretion in normal and cirrhotic livers. Eur J Radiol, 2010 [Epub ahead of print].
- Contrast-enhanced MR cholangiography with Gd-EOB-DTPA in patients with liver cirrhosis: visualization of the biliary ducts in comparison with patients with normal liver parenchyma.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 1577-1586
- Respiratory-triggered three-dimensional T2-weighted MR cholangiography after injection of gadoxetate disodium: is it still reliable?.Radiology. 2010; 255: 451-458
- Incorporating indocyanin green clearance into the Model for End Stage Liver Disease (MELD-ICG) improves prognostic accuracy in intermediate to advanced cirrhosis.Gut. 2010; 59: 963-968
- Assessment of hepatic reserve for the indication of hepatic resection.J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2005; 12: 1-3
- Toward a total and regional scintigraphic liver function test enabling assessment of future remnant liver function.Nucl Med Commun. 2011; 32: 669-671
- In vivo imaging of hepatobiliary transport function mediated by multidrug resistance associated protein and P-glycoprotein.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2004; 54: 131-138
- Transporters involved in the hepatic uptake of (99m)Tc-mebrofenin and indocyanine green.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: 738-745
- Quantitative evaluation of liver function with MRI using Gd-EOB-DTPA.Korean J Radiol. 2004; 5: 231-239
- Liver parenchymal enhancement of hepatocyte-phase images in GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MR imaging: which biological markers of the liver function affect the enhancement?.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 30: 1042-1046
- Assessment of hepatic extraction fraction and input relative blood flow using dynamic hepatocyte-specific contrast-enhanced MRI.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009; 29: 1323-1331
- New proposal for the staging of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: evaluation of liver fibrosis on GD-EOB-DTPA-enhanced MRI.Eur J Radiol. 2010; 73: 137-142
- Cirrhotic rat liver: reference to transporter activity and morphologic changes in bile canaliculi – gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR imaging.Radiology. 2010; 256: 767-773
- Assessment of hepatic perfusion parameters with dynamic MRI.Magn Reson Med. 2002; 47: 135-142
- Capillarization of the sinusoids in liver fibrosis: noninvasive assessment with contrast-enhanced MRI in the rabbit.Magn Reson Med. 2003; 49: 692-699
- An integrated approach to model hepatic drug clearance.Eur J Pharm Sci. 2006; 29: 215-230
- Gd-EOB-DTPA enhancement pattern of hepatocellular carcinomas in rats: comparison with Tc-99m-IDA uptake.J Magn Reson Imaging. 1994; 4: 351-354
- How organic anions accumulate in hepatocytes lacking Mrp2: evidence in rat liver.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011; 336: 624-632
- The emerging role of transport systems in liver function tests.Eur J Pharmacol. 2012; 675: 1-5
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy