Defining antiviral treatment efficacy end points
- Martinot-Peignoux M.
- Stern C.
- Maylin S.
- Ripault M.P.
- Boyer N.
- Leclere L.
- et al.
Do therapeutic end points modify the natural history of HBV infection?
HBsAg seroclearance and seroconversion
Histological regression of cirrhosis
Prevention of liver disease progression
- Papatheodoridis G.V.
- Manolakopoulos S.
- Touloumi G.
- Vourli G.
- Raptopoulou-Gigi M.
- Vafiadis-Zoumbouli I.
- et al.
Reversal of clinical decompensation and increased survival following liver transplantation
European Liver Transplant Registry. http://www.eltr.org/spip.php?page=documents; 2012 [accessed 17.04.12].
Do therapeutic end points modify the natural history of HCV infection?
Conflict of interest
- New challenges in viral hepatitis.Gut. 2012; 61: i1ei5
- Management of HBV- and HCV-induced end stage liver disease.Gut. 2012; 61: i59-i67
- Endpoints of hepatitis B treatment.J Viral Hepat. 2010; 17: 675-684
EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines. Management of chronic hepatitis B virus infection. J Hepatol 2012;57:167–185.
- Management of hepatitis C virus infection.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 245-264
- A sustained virologic response is durable in patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin.Gastroenterology. 2010; 139: 1593-1601
- Eradication of hepatitis C virus in patients successfully treated for chronic hepatitis C.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 821-829
- Twelve weeks posttreatment follow-up is as relevant as 24 weeks to determine the sustained virologic response in patients with hepatitis C virus receiving pegylated interferon and ribavirin.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 1122-1126
- Twelve-week posttreatment follow-up to predict sustained virologic response for recurrent hepatitis C infection in liver recipients.Transplantation. 2012; 93: 450-453
- Twelve-week posttreatment follow-up predicts a sustained virological response to pegylated interferon and ribavirin therapy.Hepatology. 2010; 52: 1170-1171
- Twelve week post-treatment follow-up predicts sustained virological response to pegylated interferon and ribavirin therapy in HIV/hepatitis C virus co-infected patients.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66: 1351-1353
- Sustained HBeAg and HBsAg loss after long-term follow-up of HBeAg-positive patients treated with peginterferon alpha-2b.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 459-467
- The natural history of chronic HBV infection and geographical differences.Antivir Ther. 2010; 15: 25-33
- Carriers of inactive hepatitis B virus are still at risk for hepatocellular carcinoma and liver-related death.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 1747-1754
- Long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis B in Caucasian patients: mortality after 25 years.Gut. 2008; 57: 84-90
- Long-term follow-up of HBeAg-positive patients treated with interferon alfa for chronic hepatitis B.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996; 334: 1422-1427
- Nucleos(t)ide analogues only induce temporary hepatitis B e antigen seroconversion in most patients with chronic hepatitis B.Gastroenterology. 2010; 139: 491-498
- Durability of HBeAg seroconversion following antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis B: relation to type of therapy and pre-treatment serum hepatitis B virus DNA and alanine aminotransferase.Gut. 2003; 52: 420-424
- Hepatitis B e antigen seroconversion after lamivudine therapy is not durable in patients with chronic hepatitis B in Korea.Hepatology. 2000; 32: 803-806
- Durability of serologic response after lamivudine treatment of chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology. 2003; 37: 748-755
- Long-term results of lamivudine monotherapy in Korean patients with HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B: response and relapse rates, and factors related to durability of HBeAg seroconversion.Intervirology. 2005; 48: 341-349
- Entecavir (ETV) monotherapy for 96 weeks is comparable to combination therapy with ETV plus tenofovir (TDF) in nucleos(t)ide naive patients with chronic hepatitis B: the BELOW study.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 471A
- Incidence and determinants of spontaneous hepatitis B surface antigen seroclearance: a community-based follow-up study.Gastroenterology. 2010; 139: 474-482
- Determinants of spontaneous surface antigen loss in hepatitis B e antigen-negative patients with a low viral load.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 68-76
- Serum hepatitis B surface antigen levels predict surface antigen loss in hepatitis B e antigen seroconverters.Gastroenterology. 2011; 141: 517-525
- Serologic and clinical outcomes of 1536 Alaska Natives chronically infected with hepatitis B virus.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 759-768
- Hepatitis B surface antigen quantification: why and how to use it in 2011 – a core group report.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 1121-1131
- HBsAg seroclearance in chronic hepatitis B in Asian patients: replicative level and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1192-1199
- Hepatitis B virus maintains its pro-oncogenic properties in the case of occult HBV infection.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 102-110
- Long-term entecavir therapy results in the reversal of fibrosis/cirrhosis and continued histological improvement in patients with chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology. 2010; 52: 886-893
- Five years of treatment with tenofovir DF for chronic hepatitis B infection is associated with sustained viral suppression and significant regression of histological fibrosis and cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 1378A
- Lamivudine for patients with chronic hepatitis B and advanced liver disease.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1521-1531
- Incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis B patients receiving nucleos(t)ide therapy: a systematic review.J Hepatol. 2010; 53: 348-356
- Virological suppression does not prevent the development of hepatocellular carcinoma in HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B patients with cirrhosis receiving oral antiviral(s) starting with lamivudine monotherapy: results of the nationwide HEPNET. Greece cohort study.Gut. 2011; 60: 1109-1116
- Long-term effect of lamivudine treatment on the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis B virus infection.J Gastroenterol. 2012; 47: 577-585
- Entecavir monotherapy for nuc-naive chronic hepatitis B patients from field practice: high efficacy and favorable safety profile over 3 years.Hepatology. 2011; 54 (Abstract 1436): 1043A
- Lamivudine treatment-related morphological changes of esophageal varices in patients with liver cirrhosis.Hepatol Res. 2007; 37: 503-509
- Six years of on demand LAM + ADV combination therapy significantly reduces the development and progression of esophageal varices in patients with HBeAg-negative cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2007; 46: S189
- Antiviral therapy reduces portal pressure in patients with cirrhosis due to HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B and significant portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2009; 51: 468-474
- Effect of hepatitis B and C virus infections on the natural history of compensated cirrhosis: a cohort study of 297 patients.Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97: 2886-2895
- Hepatitis B virus-related cirrhosis: natural history and treatment.Semin Liver Dis. 2006; 26: 142-152
- Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), emtricitabine/TDF, and entecavir in patients with decompensated chronic hepatitis B liver disease.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 62-72
- Meta-analysis: oral anti-viral agents in adults with decompensated hepatitis B virus cirrhosis.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 35: 674-689
- Outcomes of patients with hepatitis B who developed antiviral resistance while on the liver transplant waiting list.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 5: 1454-1461
- Comparison of adefovir and tenofovir in the treatment of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus infection.Hepatology. 2004; 40: 1421-1425
European Liver Transplant Registry. http://www.eltr.org/spip.php?page=documents; 2012 [accessed 17.04.12].
- Low risk of hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence after liver transplantation: a 3-year follow-up study in 78 patients with chronic hepatitis B.J Hepatol. 2008; 48: 151
- New perspectives in the therapy of chronic hepatitis B.Gut. 2012; 61: i18-i24
- Mortality in patients with chronic and cleared hepatitis C viral infection: a nationwide cohort study.J Hepatol. 2010; 53: 36-42
- Causes of death after diagnosis of hepatitis B or hepatitis C infection: a large community-based linkage study.Lancet. 2006; 368: 938-945
- Viral hepatitis and liver cancer: the case of hepatitis C.Oncogene. 2006; 25: 3834-3847
- A sustained virologic response reduces risk of all-cause mortality in patients with hepatitis C.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 9: 509-516
- Sustained virologic response to antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis C virus infection: a cure and so much more.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 889-900
- Extrahepatic manifestations of hepatitis C virus infection: a general overview and guidelines for a clinical approach.Dig Liver Dis. 2007; 39: 2-17
- Cryoglobulinemia is associated with steatosis and fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2006; 43: 1337-1345
- Steatosis in chronic hepatitis C: why does it really matter?.Gut. 2006; 55: 123-130
- Insulin resistance in chronic hepatitis C: association with genotypes 1 and 4, serum HCV RNA level, and liver fibrosis.Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 416-423
- The interaction of metabolic factors with HCV infection: does it matter?.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: S56-S65
- Hepatitis C infection and risk of diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Hepatol. 2008; 49: 831-844
- Carotid atherosclerosis and chronic hepatitis C: a prospective study of risk associations.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 1317-1323
- Hepatitis C infection and chronic renal diseases.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 4: 207-220
- Treatment – clearing the mind.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 513-514
- Persistent expression of the full genome of hepatitis C virus in B cells induces spontaneous development of B-cell lymphomas in vivo.Blood. 2010; 116: 4926-4933
- Sustained virological response reduces incidence of onset of type 2 diabetes in chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 739-744
- Viral elimination reduces incidence of malignant lymphoma in patients with hepatitis C.Am J Med. 2007; 120: 1034-1041
- Effects of anti-viral therapy and HCV clearance on cerebral metabolism and cognition.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 549-556
- A sustained virological response prevents development of insulin resistance in chronic hepatitis C patients.Hepatology. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.25867
- The natural history of compensated cirrhosis due to hepatitis C virus: a 17-year cohort study of 214 patients.Hepatology. 2006; 43: 1303-1310
- Interferon therapy prolonged life expectancy among chronic hepatitis C patients.Gastroenterology. 2002; 123: 483-491
- Effectiveness of interferon-alfa on incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma and decompensation in cirrhosis type C.J Hepatol. 1997; 27: 201-205
- A sustained virological response to interferon or interferon/ribavirin reduces hepatocellular carcinoma and improves survival in chronic hepatitis C: a nationwide multicenter study in Taiwan.Antivir Ther. 2006; 11: 985-994
- Interferon therapy reduces the risk for hepatocellular carcinoma: national surveillance program of cirrhotic and noncirrhotic patients with chronic hepatitis C in Japan.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 131: 174-181
- Antiviral therapy for cirrhotic hepatitis C: association with reduced hepatocellular carcinoma development and improved survival.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 105-114
- Sustained virological response to interferon-alpha is associated with improved outcome in HCV-related cirrhosis: a retrospective study.Hepatology. 2007; 45: 579-587
- Sustained virological response and clinical outcomes in patients with chronic hepatitis C and advanced fibrosis.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 677-684
- Impact of peginterferon and ribavirin therapy on hepatocellular carcinoma: incidence and survival in hepatitis C patients with advanced fibrosis.J Hepatol. 2010; 52: 652-657
- Sustained virological response prevents the development of esophageal varices in compensated Child–Pugh class A hepatitis C virus-induced cirrhosis. A 12-year prospective follow-up study.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 2069-2076
- The course of esophageal varices in patients with hepatitis C cirrhosis responding to interferon/ribavirin therapy.Antivir Ther. 2011; 16: 677-684
- Brief communication: the relationship of regression of cirrhosis to outcome in chronic hepatitis C.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 399-403
- A morhometrical and immunohistochemical study to assess the benefit of a SVR in HCV cirrhotic patients.Hepatology. 2012; 56: 532-543
- Liver transplantation and hepatitis C.Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2011; 35: 805-812
- Efficacy, effectiveness, and comparative effectiveness in liver disease.Hepatology. 2010; 52: 403-407
- Report on a single-topic conference on “Chronic viral hepatitis – strategies to improve effectiveness of screening and treatment”.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 307-315
- Public health impact of antiviral therapy for hepatitis C in the United States.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 1750-1755
- Is chronic hepatitis B being undertreated in the United States?.J Viral Hepat. 2011; 18: 377-383
- Market uptake of new antiviral drugs for the treatment of hepatitis C.J Hepatol. 2008; 49: 528-536
- Gaps in the achievement of effectiveness of HCV treatment in national VA practice.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 320-325
- Interferon-free oral therapy for hepatitis C: “Faraway, so Close!”.Gastroenterology. 2012; 142: 1253-1254
- Direct acting antivirals for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C: one pill a day for tomorrow.Liver Int. 2012; 32: 88-102
- Persistence and adherence to nucleos(t)ide analogue treatment for chronic hepatitis B.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: 12-18
- Treatment of chronic non-A, non-B hepatitis with recombinant human alpha interferon. A preliminary report.N Engl J Med. 1986; 315: 1575-1578
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy