Abbreviations:HCV (hepatitis C virus), HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), SVR (sustained virologic response), RVR (rapid virologic response), eRVR (extended rapid virologic response), EVR (early virologic response), peg (pegylated), IFN (interferon), IL28B (interleukin 28B), DAA (directly acting antiviral agent)
A need for interferon-free treatment regimens for chronic hepatitis C
The current repertoire of DAA agents for all-oral combination therapies
HCV NS3-4A protease inhibitors
HCV NS5A inhibitors
HCV N5B polymerase inhibitors
Drugs targeting host factors
- Coelmont L.
- Kaptein S.
- Paeshuyse J.
- Vliegen I.
- Dumont J.M.
- Vuagniaux G.
- et al.
- Janssen H.L.
- Reesink H.W.
- Zeuzem S.
- Lawitz E.
- Rodriguez-Torres M.
- Chen A.
- et al.
- Janssen H.L.
- Reesink H.W.
- Zeuzem S.
- Lawitz E.
- Rodriguez-Torres M.
- Chen A.
- et al.
Clinical trials evaluating interferon-free treatment regimens
Combinations of NS3-4A inhibitors and nucleoside analogue NS5B inhibitors, with or without ribavirin
- Gane E.J.
- Roberts S.K.
- Stedman C.A.
- Angus P.W.
- Ritchie B.
- Elston R.
- et al.
Combinations of NS3-4A inhibitors and non-nucleoside analogue NS5B inhibitors, with or without ribavirin
Combinations of NS3-4A inhibitors and NS5A inhibitors
- Suzuki F.
- Ikeda K.
- Toyota J.
- Karino Y.
- Ohmura T.
- Chayama K.
- et al.
Combinations of NS5A inhibitors and nucleoside analogue NS5B inhibitors with ribavirin
Combinations of multiple DAAs with ribavirin
Cyclophilin inhibitor-based therapies
Perspectives and challenges for the further development of IFN-free regimens
Conflict of interest
- Boceprevir for previously treated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1207-1217
- Telaprevir for previously untreated chronic hepatitis C virus infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2405-2416
- Boceprevir for untreated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1195-1206
- Telaprevir for retreatment of HCV infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2417-2428
- Review article: specifically targeted anti-viral therapy for hepatitis C – a new era in therapy.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010; 32: 14-28
- Preliminary study of two antiviral agents for hepatitis C genotype 1.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 216-224
- Dual therapy with the nonstructural protein 5A inhibitor, daclatasvir, and the nonstructural protein 3 protease inhibitor, asunaprevir, in hepatitis C virus genotype 1b-infected null responders.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 742-748
- Hepatitis C.Nature. 2011; 474: S1-S21
- Nonstructural protein 3-4A: the Swiss army knife of hepatitis C virus.J Viral Hepat. 2011; 18: 305-315
- Antiviral activity of telaprevir (VX-950) and peginterferon alfa-2a in patients with hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 640-648
- Dynamic hepatitis C virus genotypic and phenotypic changes in patients treated with the protease inhibitor telaprevir.Gastroenterology. 2007; 132: 1767-1777
- SCH 503034, a novel hepatitis C virus protease inhibitor, plus pegylated interferon alpha-2b for genotype 1 nonresponders.Gastroenterology. 2007; 132: 1270-1278
- Characterization of resistance to the protease inhibitor boceprevir in hepatitis C virus-infected patients.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 1709-1718
- Safety and antiviral activity of MK-5172, a novel HCV NS3/4A protease inhibitor with potent activity against known resistance mutants, in genotype 1 and 3 HCV-infected patients.Hepatology. 2010; 52: 706
- Rapid HCV-RNA decline with once daily TMC435: a phase I study in healthy volunteers and hepatitis C patients.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 913-921
- MK-5172, a selective inhibitor of hepatitis C virus NS3/4a protease with broad activity across genotypes and resistant variants.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 4161-4167
- Potency, safety, and pharmacokinetics of the NS3/4A protease inhibitor BI201335 in patients with chronic HCV genotype-1 infection.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: 1114-1122
- Antiviral activity of TMC435 monotherapy in patients infected with HCV genotypes 2–6: TMC435-C202, a phase IIa, open-label study.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 1247-1253
- Resistance to direct antiviral agents in patients with hepatitis C virus infection.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 447-462
- GT-1a or GT-1b subtype-specific resistance profiles for hepatitis C virus inhibitors telaprevir and HCV-796.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 2129-2132
- A review of drug interactions with boceprevir and telaprevir: implications for HIV and transplant patients.Ann Hepatol. 2012; 11: 179-185
- Replication of hepatitis C virus.Nat Rev Microbiol. 2007; 5: 453-463
- Chemical genetics strategy identifies an HCV NS5A inhibitor with a potent clinical effect.Nature. 2010; 465: 96-100
- Multiple ascending dose study of BMS-790052, an NS5A replication complex inhibitor, in patients infected with hepatitis C virus genotype 1.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 1956-1965
- Genotypic and phenotypic analysis of variants resistant to hepatitis C virus nonstructural protein 5A replication complex inhibitor BMS-790052 in humans: in vitro and in vivo correlations.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 1924-1935
- Daclatasvir for previously untreated chronic hepatitis C genotype-1 infection: a randomised, parallel-group, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-finding, phase 2a trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 671-677
- Allosteric inhibition of the hepatitis C virus NS5B RNA dependent RNA polymerase.Infect Disord Drug Targets. 2006; 6: 31-41
Le Pogam S, Yan J, Chhabra M, Ilnicka M, Kang H, Kosaka A, et al. Characterization of HCV quasispecies dynamics upon short term dual-therapy with the HCV NS5B nucleoside polymerase inhibitor mericitabine and the NS3/4 protease inhibitor danoprevir. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012 [epub].
- Resistance to mericitabine, a nucleoside analogue inhibitor of HCV RNA-dependent RNA polymerase.Antivir Ther. 2012; 17: 411-423
- Interferon-free treatment with a combination of mericitabine and danoprevir with or without ribavirin in treatment-naive HCV genotype 1-infected patients.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 555-556
- First SVR data with the nucleoside analogue polymerase inhibitor mericitabine (RG7128) combined with peginterferon/ribavirin in treatment-naive HCV G1/4 patients: interim analysis of the JUMP-C trial.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: 538
- Once-daily PSI-7977 plus peg/RBV in treatment-naive patients with HCV GT1: robust end of treatment response rates are sustained post-treatment.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 113
- ATOMIC: 97% RVR for PSI-7977 + PEG/RBV × 12 week regimen in HCV GT1: an end to response-guided therapy?.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 1
- Non-nucleoside inhibitors of the HCV NS5B polymerase: progress in the discovery and development of novel agents for the treatment of HCV infections.Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2007; 8: 614-634
- Crystal structure of the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase from hepatitis C virus reveals a fully encircled active site.Nat Struct Biol. 1999; 6: 937-943
- Antiviral activity of the hepatitis C virus polymerase inhibitor filibuvir in genotype 1-infected patients.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 50-59
- Rapid and strong antiviral activity of the non-nucleosidic NS5B polymerase inhibitor BI 207127 in combination with peginterferon alfa 2a and ribavirin.J Hepatol. 2012; 57: 39-46
- Characterization of resistance to the nonnucleoside NS5B inhibitor filibuvir in hepatitis C virus-infected patients.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 1331-1341
- Valopicitabine alone or with PEG-interferon/ribavirin retreatment in patients with HCV-1 infection and prior non-response to PEGIFN/RBV: One-year results.J Hepatol. 2007; 46: 5
- HCV796: a selective nonstructural protein 5B polymerase inhibitor with potent anti-hepatitis C virus activity in vitro, in mice with chimeric human livers, and in humans infected with hepatitis C virus.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 745-752
- Antiviral activity of the non-nucleoside polymerase inhibitor, HCV-796, in combination with pegylated interferon alfa-2b in treatment-naive patients with chronic HCV.J Hepatol. 2007; 46: 24
- Drugs in development for chronic hepatitis C: a promising future.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2011; 11: 1611-1622
- Essential role of cyclophilin A for hepatitis C virus replication and virus production and possible link to polyprotein cleavage kinetics.PLoS Pathog. 2009; 5: e1000546
- Debio 025, a cyclophilin binding molecule, is highly efficient in clearing hepatitis C virus (HCV) replicon-containing cells when used alone or in combination with specifically targeted antiviral therapy for HCV (STAT-C) inhibitors.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 967-976
- Once daily alisporivir (Debio025) plus pegIFNalfa2a/ribavirin results in superior sustained virologic response (SVR) in chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 treatment naive patients.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: 24
- The cyclophilin inhibitor Debio 025 combined with PEG IFN alpha 2a significantly reduces viral load in treatment-naive hepatitis C patients.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1460-1468
- Silibinin is a potent antiviral agent in patients with chronic hepatitis C not responding to pegylated interferon/ribavirin therapy.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1561-1567
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled safety and anti-viral proof of concept study of miravirsen, an oligonucleotide targeting mir-122, in treatment naive patients with genotype 1 chronic HCV infection.Hepatology. 2010; 54: 1071
- Oral combination therapy with a nucleoside polymerase inhibitor (RG7128) and danoprevir for chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 infection (INFORM-1): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1467-1475
Gilead press releases 2012. <http://www.gilead.com/pr_1684792>.
- Once daily PSI-7977 plus RBV: pegylated interferon-alpha not required for complete rapid viral response in treatment-naive patients with HCV Gt2 or Gt3.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 18
- Electron: once daily PSI-7977 plus RBV in HCV Gt1/2/3.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 438-439
- Efficacy of the protease inhibitor BI 201335, polymerase inhibitor BI 207127, and ribavirin in patients with chronic HCV infection.Gastroenterology. 2011; 141: 2047-2055
- SVR4 and SVR12 with an interferon-free regimen of BI201335 and BI207127, +/-ribavirin, in treatment-naive patients with chronic genotype-1 HCV infection: interim results of Sound-C2.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 45
- The protease inhibitor GS-9256 and non-nucleoside polymerase inhibitor tegobuvir alone, with RBV or peginterferon plus RBV in hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 749-758
- VX-222/telaprevir in combination with peginterferon-alfa-2a and ribavirin in treatment-naive genotype 1 HCV patients treated for 12 weeks: Zenith study, SVR 12 interim analyses.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 1442
- 12-Week interferon-free regimen of ABT-450/R +ABT-333 +ribavirin achieved SVR12 in more than 90% of treatment-naive HCV genotype-1-infected subjects and in 47% of previous non-responders.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 549-550
- 12-Week interferon-free regimen of ABT-450/R, ABT-072, and ribavirin was well tolerated and achieved sustained virologic response in 91% treatment-naive HCVIL28B-CC genotype-1-infected subjects.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 7
- Dual oral therapy with the NS5A inhibitor daclatasvir (BMS-790052) and NS3 protease inhibitor asunaprevir (BMS-650032) in HCV genotype 1b-infected null responders or ineligible/intolerant to peginterferon/ribavirin.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 7-8
- Potent viral suppression with all-oral combination of daclatasvir (NS5A inhibitor) and GS-7977 (NS5B inhibitor), +/− ribavirin, in treatment-naive patients with chronic HCV GT1, 2, or 3.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 560
- High sustained virologic response rate in treatment-naive HCV genotype 1a and 1b patients treated for 12 weeks with an interferon-free all-oral quad regimen: interim results.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 560
- Alisporivir plus ribavirin is highly effective as interferon-free or interferon-add-on regimen in previously untreated HCV-GT2 or GT3 patients: SVR12 results from the VITAL-1 phase 2b study.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 553
- Effect of IL28B genotype on early viral kinetics during interferon-free treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C.Gastroenterology. 2012; 142: 790-795
- Hepatitis C virus drug resistance and immune-driven adaptations: relevance to new antiviral therapy.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1069-1082
- Naturally occurring dominant resistance mutations to hepatitis C virus protease and polymerase inhibitors in treatment-naive patients.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 1769-1778
- IL28B single nucleotide polymorphisms in the treatment of hepatitis C.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 692-701
- Telaprevir and peginterferon with or without ribavirin for chronic HCV infection.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1839-1850
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy