Interventional studies (antiviral therapy of HCV-B-NHL)
Treatment of indolent HCV-NHL
- Mauro E.
- Pedata M.
- Ermacora A.
- Mazzaro C.
Treatment of aggressive HCV-NHL
Pathomechanisms and molecular signature of HCV-B-NHL
- De Re V.
- De Vita S.
- Marzotto A.
- Rupolo M.
- Gloghini A.
- Pivetta B.
- et al.
- De Vita S.
- De Re V.
- Gasparotto D.
- Ballare M.
- Pivetta B.
- Ferraccioli G.
- et al.
Conclusions and perspectives
Conflict of interest
- Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1335-1374
- Occult infection of peripheral B cells by hepatitis C variants which have low translational efficiency in cultured hepatocytes.Gut. 2010; 59: 934-942
- Hepatitis C virus infection as a risk factor for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis. A case-control study.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 116: 97-102
- Clonal B-cell expansions in peripheral blood of HCV infected patients.Br J Haematol. 1995; 90: 548-552
- Clonal B cell populations in the blood and liver of patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection.Arthritis Rheum. 2004; 50: 3668-3678
- Hepatitis C virus infection and antiviral treatment in marginal zone lymphomas.Curr Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 5: 74-81
- Regression of splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytes after treatment of hepatitis C virus infection.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 89-94
- Low-grade malignant lymphoma, hepatitis C virus infection, and mixed cryoglobulinemia.Blood. 1994; 84: 3047-3053
- Hepatitis C virus infection in patients with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.Br J Haematol. 1994; 88: 392-394
- The association of hepatitis C virus infection with monoclonal rheumatoid factors bearing the WA cross-idiotype: implications for the etiopathogenesis and therapy of mixed cryoglobulinemia.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1995; 13: S101-S104
- A role for hepatitis C virus infection in type II cryoglobulinemia.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1490-1495
- Cryoglobulins.J Clin Pathol. 2002; 55: 4-13
- Incidence and characteristics of non-Hodgkin lymphomas in a multicenter case file of patients with hepatitis C virus-related symptomatic mixed cryoglobulinemias.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 101-105
- Relapse of hepatitis C virus-associated mixed cryoglobulinemia vasculitis in patients with sustained viral response.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 604-611
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: systematic review and meta-analysis.Gastroenterology. 2003; 125: 1723-1732
- Hepatitis C virus infection and lymphoproliferative diseases: prospective study on 1,576 patients in France.Am J Hematol. 2001; 67: 168-171
- Hepatitis C virus genotype distribution varies by underlying disease status among patients in the same geographic region: a retrospective multicenter study.J Clin Virol. 2012; 54: 218-222
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and other nonhepatic malignancies in Swedish patients with hepatitis C virus infection.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 652-659
- Hepatitis C virus and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a population-based case-control study among Connecticut women.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004; 13: 425-430
- Effect of hepatitis C virus infection on the risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studies.Cancer Sci. 2004; 95: 745-752
- Hepatitis C virus and risk of lymphoma and other lymphoid neoplasms: a meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15: 2078-2085
- Hepatitis B and C are associated with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: cross-sectional study of the National Inpatient Sample database.Hepatology. 2012; 56: 631a-632a
- Extrahepatic disorders of HCV infection: a distinct entity of B-cell neoplasia?.Int J Oncol. 2010; 36: 1331-1340
- Hepatitis C and risk of lymphoma: results of the European multicenter case-control study EPILYMPH.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 1879-1886
- Hepatitis C and non-Hodgkin lymphoma among 4784 cases and 6269 controls from the International Lymphoma Epidemiology Consortium.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 6: 451-458
- Hepatitis C virus and B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas: an Italian multicenter case-control study.Blood. 2003; 102: 996-999
- Regression of monoclonal B-cell expansion in patients affected by mixed cryoglobulinemia responsive to alpha-interferon therapy.Cancer. 1996; 77: 2604-2613
- Response to antiviral treatment in hepatitis C virus-associated marginal zone lymphomas.Leukemia. 2004; 18: 1711-1716
- Disappearance of gastric mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue in hepatitis C virus-positive patients after anti-hepatitis C virus therapy.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004; 38: 360-363
- Pegylated-interferon plus ribavirin for HCV positive indolent non-Hodgkin lymphomas.Br J Haematol. 2009; 145: 255-257
- Role of anti-hepatitis C virus (HCV) treatment in HCV-related, low-grade, B-cell, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a multicenter Italian experience.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 468-473
- Subcutaneous ‘lipoma-like’ B-cell lymphoma associated with HCV infection: a new presentation of primary extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: 1189-1195
- Long-lasting remission of primary hepatic lymphoma and hepatitis C virus infection achieved by the alpha-interferon treatment.Hematol J. 2004; 5: 530-533
- Hepatitis C virus-related B cell subtypes in non Hodgkin’s lymphoma.World J Hepatol. 2011; 3: 278-284
- Treatment of HCV-related mantle-cell lymphoma with ribavirin and pegylated interferon alfa.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 2078-2079
- Antiviral therapy after complete response to chemotherapy could be efficacious in HCV positive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.J Hepatol. 2008; 49: 557-563
- Diffuse B-large cell lymphomas (DBLCL) with hepatitis-C virus (HCV) infection: clinical outcome and preliminary results of a pilot study combining R-CHOP with antiviral therapy.Blood. 2005; 106: 688a
- Impact of treatment-related liver toxicity on the outcome of HCV positive non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas.Am J Hematol. 2010; 85: 46-50
- Characteristics and outcome of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in hepatitis C virus-positive patients in LNH 93 and LNH 98 Groupe d’Etude des Lymphomes de l’Adulte programs.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 953-960
- A randomized controlled trial of rituximab for the treatment of severe cryoglobulinemic vasculitis.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 843-853
- Rituximab plus Peg-interferon-alpha/ribavirin compared with Peg-interferon-alpha/ribavirin in hepatitis C-related mixed cryoglobulinemia.Blood. 2010; 116 (quiz 504–325): 326-334
- Pegylated interferon-alpha, ribavirin, and rituximab combined therapy of hepatitis C virus-related mixed cryoglobulinemia: a long-term study.Blood. 2010; 116: 343-353
- Hepatic toxicity and prognosis in hepatitis C virus-infected patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with rituximab-containing chemotherapy regimens: a Japanese multicenter analysis.Blood. 2010; 116: 5119-5125
- HCV positive status and hepatitis flares in patients with B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma treated with rituximab-containing regimens.Dig Liver Dis. 2011; 43: 139-142
- Telaprevir and peginterferon with or without ribavirin for chronic HCV infection.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1839-1850
- Boceprevir for untreated chronic HCV genotype 1 infection.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1195-1206
- New antiviral therapies in the management of HCV infection.Antivir Ther. 2012; 17: 771-783
- Hepatitis C in 2011: a new standard of care and the race towards IFN-free therapy.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 9: 67-68
- Establishment of B-cell lymphoma cell lines persistently infected with hepatitis C virus in vivo and in vitro: the apoptotic effects of virus infection.J Virol. 2003; 77: 2134-2146
- Hepatitis C virus lymphotropism and peculiar immunological phenotype: effects on natural history and antiviral therapy.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 2305-2308
- Hepatitis C virus lymphotropism: lessons from a decade of studies.Dig Liver Dis. 2007; 39: S38-S45
- Pre-malignant and malignant lymphoproliferations in an HCV infected type II mixed cryoglobulinemic patient are sequential phases of an antigen-driven pathological process.Int J Cancer. 2000; 87: 211-216
- Binding of hepatitis C virus to CD81.Science. 1998; 282: 938-941
- Peripheral B-cell CD5 expansion and CD81 overexpression and their association with disease severity and autoimmune markers in chronic hepatitis C virus infection.Clin Exp Immunol. 2002; 128: 353-358
- CD19: lowering the threshold for antigen receptor stimulation of B lymphocytes.Science. 1992; 256: 105-107
- Functional dissection of the CD21/CD19/TAPA-1/Leu-13 complex of B lymphocytes.J Exp Med. 1993; 178: 1407-1417
- Activation of naive B lymphocytes via CD81, a pathogenetic mechanism for hepatitis C virus-associated B lymphocyte disorders.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 18544-18549
- HLA DR-DQ combination associated with the increased risk of developing human HCV positive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is related to the type II mixed cryoglobulinemia.Tissue Antigens. 2010; 75: 127-135
- Influence of HLA-DR phenotype on the risk of hepatitis C virus-associated mixed cryoglobulinemia.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 44: 2118-2124
- Immunoglobulin gene mutations and frequent use of VH1-69 and VH4-34 segments in hepatitis C virus-positive and hepatitis C virus-negative nodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma.Am J Pathol. 2001; 159: 253-261
- Recombinant human monoclonal antibodies against different conformational epitopes of the E2 envelope glycoprotein of hepatitis C virus that inhibit its interaction with CD81.J Gen Virol. 2000; 81: 2451-2459
- Sequence analysis of the immunoglobulin antigen receptor of hepatitis C virus-associated non-Hodgkin lymphomas suggests that the malignant cells are derived from the rheumatoid factor-producing cells that occur mainly in type II cryoglobulinemia.Blood. 2000; 96: 3578-3584
- The B-cell receptor of a hepatitis C virus (HCV)-associated non-Hodgkin lymphoma binds the viral E2 envelope protein, implicating HCV in lymphomagenesis.Blood. 2001; 98: 3745-3749
- V(H)1–69 gene is preferentially used by hepatitis C virus-associated B cell lymphomas and by normal B cells responding to the E2 viral antigen.Blood. 2001; 97: 1023-1026
- Hepatitis C virus, human herpesvirus 8, and the development of plasma-cell leukemia.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 178-179
- Oligoclonal non-neoplastic B cell expansion is the key feature of type II mixed cryoglobulinemia: clinical and molecular findings do not support a bone marrow pathologic diagnosis of indolent B cell lymphoma.Arthritis Rheum. 2000; 43: 94-102
- Bcl-2 rearrangement in patients with chronic hepatitis C associated with essential mixed cryoglobulinemia type II.Blood. 2000; 96: 2910-2912
- Association of t(14;18) translocation with HCV infection in gastrointestinal MALT lymphomas.J Hepatol. 2008; 49: 170-174
- Prevalence of bcl-2 rearrangement in patients with hepatitis C virus-related mixed cryoglobulinemia with or without B-cell lymphomas.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 137: 571-580
- T(14;18) translocation in chronic hepatitis C virus infection.Hepatology. 2000; 31: 474-479
- Induction of interleukin-6 by hepatitis C virus core protein in hepatitis C-associated mixed cryoglobulinemia and B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12: 4491-4498
- B-Lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) up-regulation in mixed cryoglobulinaemia syndrome and hepatitis-C virus infection.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2007; 46: 37-43
- Hepatitis C virus-associated B-cell proliferation – the role of serum B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS/BAFF).Rheumatology (Oxford). 2007; 46: 65-69
- Surrogate markers of B cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in patients with hepatitis C virus-related cryoglobulinaemia vasculitis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 2177-2180
- BAFF AND APRIL: a tutorial on B cell survival.Ann Rev Immunol. 2003; 21: 231-264
- BAFF mediates survival of peripheral immature B lymphocytes.J Exp Med. 2000; 192: 1453-1466
- Generation and activation of multiple dimeric transcription factors within the NF-kappaB signaling system.Mol Cell Biol. 2008; 28: 3139-3150
- Dysregulation of global microRNA expression in splenic marginal zone lymphoma and influence of chronic hepatitis C virus infection.Leukemia. 2012; 26: 1654-1662
- Nek6 mediates human cancer cell transformation and is a potential cancer therapeutic target.Mol Cancer Res. 2010; 8: 717-728
- Lack of detection of negative-strand hepatitis C virus RNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and other extrahepatic tissues by the highly strand-specific rTth reverse transcriptase PCR.J Virol. 1995; 69: 8079-8083
- Specific detection of hepatitis C virus minus strand RNA in hematopoietic cells.J Clin Invest. 1996; 97: 845-851
- Hepatitis C virus infection involves CD34(+) hematopoietic progenitor cells in hepatitis C virus chronic carriers.Blood. 1998; 92: 3328-3337
- Expansion of innate CD5pos B cells expressing high levels of CD81 in hepatitis C virus infected liver.J Hepatol. 2003; 38: 642-650
- Enhancement of hepatitis C virus replication by Epstein-Barr virus-encoded nuclear antigen 1.EMBO J. 1999; 18: 5755-5760
- Enhanced expression of lymphomagenesis-related genes in peripheral blood B cells of chronic hepatitis C patients.Clin Immunol. 2010; 135: 459-465
- Hepatitis C virus and disrupted interferon signaling promote lymphoproliferation via type II CD95 and interleukins.Gastroenterology. 2009; 137: 285-296
- Expression of hepatitis C virus core protein associated with malignant lymphoma in transgenic mice.Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2003; 26: 115-124
- Persistent expression of the full genome of hepatitis C virus in B cells induces spontaneous development of B-cell lymphomas in vivo.Blood. 2010; 116: 4926-4933
- Hepatitis C virus-related lymphomagenesis in a mouse model.ISRN Hematol. 2011; 2011: 167501
- Hepatitis C virus induces a mutator phenotype: enhanced mutations of immunoglobulin and protooncogenes.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101: 4262-4267
- Somatic hypermutation and mRNA expression levels of the BCL-6 gene in patients with hepatitis C virus-associated lymphoproliferative diseases.J Viral Hepat. 2007; 14: 484-491
- B cells in chronically hepatitis C virus-infected individuals lack a virus-induced mutation signature in the TP53, CTNNB1, and BCL6 genes.J Virol. 2013; 87: 2956-2962
- Long-lasting complete remission of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection and HCV-associated immunocytoma with alpha-interferon treatment.Br J Haematol. 2001; 112: 370-372
- Regression of lymphoproliferative disorder after treatment for hepatitis C virus infection in a patient with partial trisomy 3, Bcl-2 overexpression, and type II cryoglobulinemia.Blood. 2002; 99: 2259-2261
- MALT lymphomas of the salivary glands. Review of the literature apropos of a case in a patient with hepatitis C virus infection.Recenti Prog Med. 1999; 90: 585-591
- MALT non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma associated with hepatitis C virus infection treated by interferon alpha.Am J Hematol. 1996; 53: 209
- Systematic screening for HCV infection should be performed in patients with splenic marginal zone lymphoma.Br J Haematol. 2004; 124: 252-253
- The relationship between splenic marginal zone B-cell lymphoma and chronic liver disease associated with hepatitis C virus infection.Ann Ital Med Int. 1999; 14: 288-293
- Splenic lymphoma with villous lymphocytes, associated with type II cryoglobulinemia and HCV infection: a new entity?.Blood. 2005; 105: 74-76
- Regression of B-cell lymphoma of the liver with hepatitis C virus infection after treatment with pegylated interferon-alpha and ribavirin.Dig Dis Sci. 2010; 55: 1791-1793
- An additional line of therapy with pegylated interferon and ribavirin after rituximab in a patient with hepatitis C virus-related mixed cryoglobulinaemia and indolent non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma previously treated with interferon.Blood Transfus. 2012; 10: 101-103
- Regression of Hodgkin lymphoma in response to antiviral therapy for hepatitis C virus infection.Intern Med. 2012; 51: 2745-2747
- Regression of advanced non-splenic marginal zone lymphoma after treatment of hepatitis C virus infection.Leuk Lymphoma. 2005; 46: 1365-1368
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy