Cyclophilin inhibitors: Structure and functional relationships
Non-immunosuppressive cyclophilin inhibitors
Chronic hepatitis C
- Coelmont L.
- Kaptein S.
- Paeshuyse J.
- Vliegen I.
- Dumont J.M.
- Vuagniaux G.
- et al.
- Pawlotsky J.M.
- Sarin S.K.
- Foster G.R.
- Peng C.Y.
- Rasenack J.
- Flisiak R.
- et al.
Chronic hepatitis B
- Yan H.
- Zhong G.
- Xu G.
- He W.
- Jing Z.
- Gao Z.
- et al.
Mitochondrial dysfunction in liver diseases and cyclophilin inhibition
- Liu Q.
- Rehman H.
- Harley R.A.
- Lemasters J.J.
- Zhong Z.
Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
Liver inflammation and fibrosis
- Liu Q.
- Rehman H.
- Harley R.A.
- Lemasters J.J.
- Zhong Z.
Acetaminophen liver toxicity
Conflict of interest
- The cyclophilins.Genome Biol. 2005; 6: 226
- Structural and biochemical characterization of the human cyclophilin family of peptidyl-prolyl isomerases.PLoS Biol. 2010; 8: e1000439
- Cyclophilin: a specific cytosolic binding protein for cyclosporin A.Science. 1984; 226: 544-547
- Cyclophilin and peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase are probably identical proteins.Nature. 1989; 337: 476-478
- Peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase is the cyclosporin A-binding protein cyclophilin.Nature. 1989; 337: 473-475
- A cyclophilin-related protein involved in the function of natural killer cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993; 90: 542-546
- Cyclophilin A: a key player for human disease.Cell Death Dis. 2013; 4: e888
- Cyclophilin A-deficient mice are resistant to immunosuppression by cyclosporine.J Immunol. 2005; 174: 6030-6038
- Cyclophilin inhibitors: a novel class of promising host-targeting anti-HCV agents.Immunol Res. 2012; 52: 200-210
- Functional aspects of extracellular cyclophilins.Biol Chem. 2014; 395: 721-735https://doi.org/10.1515/hsz-2014-0125
- Cyclosporin A slows collagen triple-helix formation in vivo: indirect evidence for a physiologic role of peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans-isomerase.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 1299-1303
- Cyclosporin A inhibits an initial step in folding of transferrin within the endoplasmic reticulum.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 14835-14838
- Cyclophilin A is required for CXCR4-mediated nuclear export of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein A2, activation and nuclear translocation of ERK1/2, and chemotactic cell migration.J Biol Chem. 2008; 283: 623-637
- Regulation of CD147 cell surface expression: involvement of the proline residue in the CD147 transmembrane domain.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 17013-17019
- Phosphorylation-dependent interaction of the asialoglycoprotein receptor with molecular chaperones.J Biol Chem. 2002; 277: 37798-37803
- Regulation of the tyrosine kinase Itk by the peptidyl-prolyl isomerase cyclophilin A.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002; 99: 1899-1904
- Cyclophilin A mediates vascular remodeling by promoting inflammation and vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation.Circulation. 2008; 117: 3088-3098
- Cyclophilin A may contribute to the inflammatory processes in rheumatoid arthritis through induction of matrix degrading enzymes and inflammatory cytokines from macrophages.Clin Immunol. 2005; 116: 217-224
- Cyclophilin A up-regulates MMP-9 expression and adhesion of monocytes/macrophages via CD147 signalling pathway in rheumatoid arthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008; 47: 1299-1310
- Contribution of cyclophilin A to the regulation of inflammatory processes in rheumatoid arthritis.J Clin Immunol. 2010; 30: 24-33
- Cyclophilin A enhances vascular oxidative stress and the development of angiotensin II-induced aortic aneurysms.Nat Med. 2009; 15: 649-656
- Cyclophilin A is a secreted growth factor induced by oxidative stress.Circ Res. 2000; 87: 789-796
- Identification of cyclophilin as a proinflammatory secretory product of lipopolysaccharide-activated macrophages.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992; 89: 3511-3515
- Extracellular cyclophilins contribute to the regulation of inflammatory responses.J Immunol. 2005; 175: 517-522
- Cyclophilin A is a proinflammatory cytokine that activates endothelial cells.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: 1186-1191
- Cyclophilin A is an inflammatory mediator that promotes atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.J Exp Med. 2011; 208: 53-66
- Cyclophilin A is upregulated in small cell lung cancer and activates ERK1/2 signal.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 361: 763-767
- Stable RNA interference-mediated suppression of cyclophilin A diminishes non-small-cell lung tumor growth in vivo.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 8853-8860
- Human cyclophilin B: a second cyclophilin gene encodes a peptidyl-prolyl isomerase with a signal sequence.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991; 88: 1903-1907
- Cyclophilin B trafficking through the secretory pathway is altered by binding of cyclosporin A.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994; 91: 3931-3935
- Cyclophilin D as a drug target.Curr Med Chem. 2003; 10: 1485-1506
- Physiologic functions of cyclophilin D and the mitochondrial permeability transition pore.Circ J. 2013; 77: 1111-1122
- Mitochondrial permeability transition in Ca2+-dependent apoptosis and necrosis.Cell Calcium. 2011; 50: 222-233
- Necroptosis.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 455-465
- Two independent pathways of regulated necrosis mediate ischemia-reperfusion injury.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 12024-12029
- Cyclophilin D-dependent mitochondrial permeability transition regulates some necrotic but not apoptotic cell death.Nature. 2005; 434: 652-658
- History of the discovery of cyclosporin and of its early pharmacological development.Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2002; 114: 433-437
- Cyclophilin inhibitors.Clin Liver Dis. 2009; 13: 403-417
- Update on alisporivir in treatment of viral hepatitis C.Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2012; 21: 375-382
- Structural basis for the non-immunosuppressive character of the cyclosporin A analogue Debio 025.Biochemistry. 2010; 49: 4679-4686
- Curing a viral infection by targeting the host: the example of cyclophilin inhibitors.Antiviral Res. 2013; 99: 68-77
- SCY-635, a novel nonimmunosuppressive analog of cyclosporine that exhibits potent inhibition of hepatitis C virus RNA replication in vitro.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 660-672
- Cyclophilin inhibitors as antiviral agents.Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2013; 23: 4485-4492
- Multiple mutations in hepatitis C virus NS5A domain II are required to confer a significant level of resistance to alisporivir.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 5113-5121
- Preclinical characterization of naturally occurring polyketide cyclophilin inhibitors from the sanglifehrin family.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 1975-1981
- Sanglifehrin A, a novel cyclophilin-binding compound showing immunosuppressive activity with a new mechanism of action.J Immunol. 2001; 166: 7165-7171
- Sanglifehrin-cyclophilin interaction: degradation work, synthetic macrocyclic analogues, X-ray crystal structure, and binding data.J Am Chem Soc. 2003; 125: 3849-3859
- Multiple cyclophilins involved in different cellular pathways mediate HCV replication.Virology. 2010; 397: 43-55
- Cyclophilin B is a functional regulator of hepatitis C virus RNA polymerase.Mol Cell. 2005; 19: 111-122
- Debio 025, a cyclophilin binding molecule, is highly efficient in clearing hepatitis C virus (HCV) replicon-containing cells when used alone or in combination with specifically targeted antiviral therapy for HCV (STAT-C) inhibitors.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 967-976
- Hepatitis C virus NS5A protein is a substrate for the peptidyl-prolyl cis/trans isomerase activity of cyclophilins A and B.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 13589-13601
- A critical role of cyclophilin A and its prolyl-peptidyl isomerase activity in the structure and function of the HCV replication complex.J Virol. 2009; 83: 6554-6565
- The isomerase active site of cyclophilin A is critical for hepatitis C virus replication.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 16998-17005
- Essential role of cyclophilin A for hepatitis C virus replication and virus production and possible link to polyprotein cleavage kinetics.PLoS Pathog. 2009; 5: e1000546
- DEB025 (Alisporivir) inhibits hepatitis C virus replication by preventing a cyclophilin A induced cis-trans isomerisation in domain II of NS5A.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e13687
- Completion of the entire hepatitis C virus life cycle in genetically humanized mice.Nature. 2013; 501: 237-241
- HCV resistance to cyclosporin A does not correlate with a resistance of the NS5A-cyclophilin A interaction to cyclophilin inhibitors.J Hepatol. 2010; 53: 50-56
- Profile of alisporivir and its potential in the treatment of hepatitis C.Drug Des Dev Ther. 2013; 7: 105-115
- The cyclophilin inhibitor SCY-635 disrupts hepatitis C virus NS5A-cyclophilin A complexes.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 3888-3897
- The combination of alisporivir plus an NS5A inhibitor provides additive to synergistic anti-hepatitis C virus activity without detectable cross-resistance.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 3327-3334
- Cyclosporine A inhibits hepatitis C virus nonstructural protein 2 through cyclophilin A.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 1638-1645
- Inhibition of HCV replication by cyclophilin antagonists is linked to replication fitness and occurs by inhibition of membranous web formation.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 1361-1372
- Safety, pharmacokinetics, and antiviral activity of the cyclophilin inhibitor NIM811 alone or in combination with pegylated interferon in HCV-infected patients receiving 14 days of therapy.Antiviral Res. 2011; 89: 238-245
- The cyclophilin inhibitor SCY-635 suppresses viral replication and induces endogenous interferons in patients with chronic HCV genotype 1 infection.J Hepatol. 2012; 57: 47-54
- Short duration treatment with SCY-635 restores sensitivity to Peg-IFN/RBV in difficult to treat, IL28B TT/CT, HCV Genotype 1 patients.Hepatology. 2012; 56: 234A
- Interferon (IFN)-free alisporivir (ALV) has a better overall safety profile compared to IFN-containing treatment: a pooled analysis of the ALV development program.J Hepatol. 2013; 58: S336-S337
- Alisporivir (ALV) plus Peg-Interferon/Ribavirin (PR) achieves high SVR12 rates among null responders, IL28BCT/TT and cirrhotic HCVG1 patients (FUNDAMENTAL study).J Hepatol. 2013; 58: S572
- Alisporivir plus ribavirin achieves high rates of sustained HCV clearance (SVR24) as interferon (FN)-free or IFN-add-on regimen in treatment-naïve patients with GT2 or GT3: final results of the VITAL-1 study.Hepatology. 2012; 56 ([abstr. 233]): 309A
- Hepatitis C virus protein expression causes calcium-mediated mitochondrial bioenergetic dysfunction and nitro-oxidative stress.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 58-65
- The cyclophilin inhibitor alisporivir prevents hepatitis C virus-mediated mitochondrial dysfunction.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 1333-1343
- Activation and inhibition of cellular calcium and tyrosine kinase signaling pathways identify targets of the HBx protein involved in hepatitis B virus replication.J Virol. 2003; 77: 7713-7719
- Characterisation of antiviral activities of DEB025 (Alisporivir) and NIM811 on Hepatitis B virus (HBV) replication and HBsAg secretion in vitro.J Hepatol. 2011; 54: S437-S438
- Alisporivir-induced inhibition of cellular cyclophilins disrupts hepatitis B virus (HBV) replication in vitro and is synergistic in combination with direct antiviral targeted HBV-DNA polymerase.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: S199-S200
- NVP018, A cyclophilin inhibitor for treatment of chronic HBV infection.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: S423
- Hepatitis B virus (HBV) surface antigen interacts with and promotes cyclophilin a secretion: possible link to pathogenesis of HBV infection.J Virol. 2010; 84: 3373-3381
- Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide is a functional receptor for human hepatitis B and D virus.Elife. 2012; 1: e00049https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife. 00049
- Cyclosporin A inhibits hepatitis B and hepatitis D virus entry by cyclophilin-independent interference with the NTCP receptor.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 723-731
- Cyclosporin A and its analogs inhibit hepatitis B virus entry into cultured hepatocytes through targeting a membrane transporter, sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP).Hepatology. 2014; 59: 1726-1737
- Monogenic mitochondrial disorders.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1132-1141
- Mitochondrial calcium regulates rat liver regeneration through the modulation of apoptosis.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 296-306
- NIM811, a mitochondrial permeability transition inhibitor, prevents mitochondrial depolarization in small-for-size rat liver grafts.Am J Transplant. 2007; 7: 1103-1111
- Small-for-size liver transplantation increases pulmonary injury in rats: prevention by NIM811.HPB Surg. 2012; 2012 ([Article ID 270372]): 13 pageshttps://doi.org/10.1155/2012/270372
- NASH: a mitochondrial disease.J Hepatol. 2005; 42: 928-940
- Anti-inflammatory effects of extracellular cyclosporines are exclusively mediated by CD147.J Med Chem. 2013; 56: 7302-7311
- Cyclophilin A affects inflammation, virus elimination and myocardial fibrosis in coxsackievirus B3-induced myocarditis.J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012; 53: 6-14
- N-methyl-4-isoleucine cyclosporine attenuates CCl4-induced liver fibrosis in rats by interacting with cyclophilin B and D.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 26: 558-567
- REFINE: a randomized trial comparing cyclosporine A and tacrolimus on fibrosis after liver transplantation for hepatitis C.Am J Transplant. 2014; 14: 635-646https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.12620
- Current issues with acetaminophen hepatotoxicity – A clinically relevant model to test the efficacy of natural products.Life Sci. 2011; 88: 737-745
- Mitochondrial permeability transition as a novel principle of hepatorenal toxicity in vivo.Apoptosis. 2002; 7: 395-405
- Mitochondrial permeability transition in acetaminophen-induced necrosis and apoptosis of cultured mouse hepatocytes.Hepatology. 2004; 40: 1170-1179
- Involvement of mitochondrial permeability transition in acetaminophen-induced liver injury in mice.J Hepatol. 2005; 42: 110-116
- Acetaminophen overdose-induced liver injury in mice is mediated by peroxynitrite independently of the cyclophilin D-regulated permeability transition.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 969-978
- Cyclophilin D deficiency protects against acetaminophen-induced oxidant stress and liver injury.Free Radic Res. 2011; 45: 156-164
- Cyclophilin A is a damage-associated molecular pattern molecule that mediates acetaminophen-induced liver injury.J Immunol. 2011; 187: 3347-3352
- Proteome analysis of hepatocellular carcinoma.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002; 291: 1031-1037
- Cyclophilin A as a new therapeutic target for hepatitis C virus-induced hepatocellular carcinoma.Korean J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013; 17: 375-383
- Novel combinational treatment of cisplatin with cyclophilin A inhibitors in human hepatocellular carcinomas.Arch Pharm Res. 2010; 33: 1401-1409
- Role of cyclophilin B in tumorigenesis and cisplatin resistance in hepatocellular carcinoma in humans.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 1661-1678
- Cyclophilin A promotes human hepatocellular carcinoma cell metastasis via regulation of MMP3 and MMP9.Mol Cell Biochem. 2011; 357: 387-395
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy