- •Alcohol use disorder is a major contributor to HCV-related liver disease burden.
- •Alcohol use could reduce individual and population level benefits of HCV treatment.
- •Impact of alcohol use on liver disease should be monitored in the DAA era.
- •World Health Organization has set a 65% HCV mortality reduction target by 2030.
- •To achieve this target, strategies are needed to manage the use and impact of alcohol.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global prevalence and genotype distribution of hepatitis C virus infection in 2015: a modelling study.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 2: 161-167
World Health Organization. Global health sector strategy on viral hepatitis 2016–2021. Towards ending viral hepatitis. [cited July 2017)]; Available from: www.who.int/hepatitis/strategy2016-2021/ghss-hep/en/.
- Moderate, excessive or heavy alcohol consumption: each is significantly associated with increased mortality in patients with chronic hepatitis C.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013; 37: 703-709
- Trends in mortality after diagnosis of hepatitis C virus infection: an international comparison and implications for monitoring the population impact of treatment.J Hepatol. 2015; 62: 269-277
- Excluding people who use drugs or alcohol from access to hepatitis C treatments–Is this fair, given the available data?.J Hepatol. 2015; 63: 779-782
- Restrictions on access to direct-acting antivirals for people who inject drugs: The European Hep-CORE study and the role of patient groups in monitoring national HCV responses.Int J Drug Policy. 2017; 47: 47-50
- Global burden of alcoholic liver diseases.J Hepatol. 2013; 59: 160-168
- Assessing hepatitis C burden and treatment effectiveness through the British Columbia Hepatitis Testers Cohort (BC-HTC): design and characteristics of linked and unlinked participants.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0150176
British Columbia Ministry of Health [creator]. Discharge Abstract Database (Hospital Separations). Victoria, BC: British Columbia Ministry of Health [publisher]; 2013. [cited June 2017)]; Available from: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health.
British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency [creator]. Vital Statistics Deaths. Victoria, BC: British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency [publisher]. Data Extract. British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency (2014). [cited June 2017)]; Available from: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/death-and-bereavement.
The Centre for Health Record Linkage (CHeReL). [cited June 2017)]; Available from: http://www.cherel.org.au/.
- The pattern of diagnosed HIV infection in Australia, 1984–1992.Aids. 1994; 8: 513-519
National Services Scotland. Information Services Division. [cited June 2017)]; Available from: www.isdscotland.org/index.asp.
National Records of Scotland. Births, Death and Marriage Records. [cited June 2017)]; Available from: www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/birth-death-and-marriage-records.
- Attributable and unattributable risks and fractions and other scenario comparisons.Stata J. 2013; 13: 672-698
- Alcohol use in adults.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 365-373
- Hepatitis C disease burden and strategies to manage the burden (Guest Editors Mark Thursz, Gregory Dore and John Ward).J Viral Hepat. 2014; 21: 1-4
- Liver mortality attributable to chronic hepatitis C virus infection in Denmark and Scotland—Using spontaneous resolvers as the benchmark comparator.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 1506-1516
- Alcohol: taking a population perspective.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 13: 426-434
- Minimum alcohol pricing policies in practice: a critical examination of implementation in Canada.J Public Health Policy. 2016; 38: 39-57
- The raising of minimum alcohol prices in Saskatchewan, Canada: impacts on consumption and implications for public health.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: e103-e110
- Does minimum pricing reduce alcohol consumption? The experience of a Canadian province.Addiction. 2012; 107: 912-920
- The relationship between minimum alcohol prices, outlet densities and alcohol-attributable deaths in British Columbia, 2002–09.Addiction. 2013; 108: 1059-1069
The Scottish Government. The Scottish Health Survey 2014: Volume 1: Main Report, Page 318753. [cited March 2017)]; Available from: http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/09/6648/318753.
Livingston, M. Understanding recent trends in Australian alcohol consumption. Canberra: Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education. 2015 [cited March 2017)]; Available from: http://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/gm9lbv/Livingston%20-%20Understanding-recent-trends-in-Australian-alcohol-consumpti....pdf.
- Real or perceived impediments to minimum pricing of alcohol in Australia: public opinion, the industry and the law.Int J Drug Policy. 2013; 24: 517-523
- Public support for alcohol policies associated with knowledge of cancer risk.Int J Drug Policy. 2015; 26: 371-379
Australian National Preventive Health Agency. Exploring the public interest case for a minimum (floor) price for alcohol. 2013 [cited March 2017)]; Available from: http://health.gov.au/internet/anpha/publishing.nsf/Content/minimum-price-final-report.
- Epidemiology and outcomes of hepatitis C infection in elderly US Veterans.J Viral Hepat. 2016; 23: 687-696
- Natural history of hepatitis C.J Hepatol. 2014; 61: S58-S68
- Estimation of stage-specific fibrosis progression rates in chronic hepatitis C virus infection: A meta-analysis and meta-regression.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 418-431
- Adverse outcomes in Alaska natives who recovered from or have chronic hepatitis C infection.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: e921
- Treatment of alcohol use disorders in patients with alcoholic liver disease.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 618-630
- Association of self-reported alcohol use and hospitalization for an alcohol-related cause in Scotland: a record-linkage study of 23 183 individuals.Addiction. 2009; 104: 593-602
- Validation of key behaviourally based mental health diagnoses in administrative data: suicide attempt, alcohol abuse, illicit drug abuse and tobacco use.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 18
- Rise in testing and diagnosis associated with Scotland's Action Plan on Hepatitis C and introduction of dried blood spot testing.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2014; 68: 1182-1188
- Time to decompensated cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma after an HBV or HCV notification: A population-based study.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 879-887
- Late hepatitis B and C diagnosis in relation to disease decompensation and hepatocellular carcinoma development.J Hepatol. 2017; 67: 909-917