We thank Wang et al. for their interest in our study on the use of serum HBV RNA to characterize the transcriptionally active viral reservoir in patients receiving nucleos(t)ide analogue (NA) treatment.
Apart from pregenome RNA, Wang et al. revealed the existence of HBV RNA splicing variants in sera of patients treated with NAs, paving the way for a better understanding of the nature of serum HBV RNA and its clinical implications in the future.
- Wang J.
- Yu Y.
- Li G.
- Shen C.
- Meng Z.
- Zheng J.
- et al.
Relationship between serum HBV-RNA levels and intrahepatic viral as well as histologic activity markers in entecavir-treated patients.
J Hepatol. 2018; 68 (PMID:28870671): 16-24
- Wang J.
- Sheng Q.
- Ding Y.
- Chen R.
- Sun X.
- Chen X.
- et al.
HBV RNA virion-like particles produced under nucleos(t)ide analogues treatment are mainly replication-deficient.
J Hepatol. 2018; 68 (PMID:29113914): 847-849
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship
- Relationship between serum HBV-RNA levels and intrahepatic viral as well as histologic activity markers in entecavir-treated patients.J Hepatol. 2018; 68 (PMID:28870671): 16-24
- HBV RNA virion-like particles produced under nucleos(t)ide analogues treatment are mainly replication-deficient.J Hepatol. 2018; 68 (PMID:29113914): 847-849
- In vivo and in vitro expression of defective hepatitis B virus particles generated by spliced hepatitis B virus RNA.Hepatology. 1995; 22: 10-19
- HBV RNA pre-genome encodes specific motifs that mediate interactions with the viral core protein that promote nucleocapsid assembly.Nat Microbiol. 2017; 2: 17098
- Context-dependent control of alternative splicing by RNA-binding proteins.Nat Rev Genet. 2014; 15: 689-701
- Expression of defective hepatitis B virus particles derived from singly spliced RNA is related to liver disease.J Infect Dis. 2008; 198: 218-225
- Hepatitis B virus splicing is enhanced prior to development of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2013; 59: 1022-1028
- Hepatitis B virus spliced variants are associated with an impaired response to interferon therapy.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 16459
- Alternative splicing of hepatitis B virus: a novel virus/host interaction altering liver immunity.J Hepatol. 2017; 67: 687-699
- Serum hepatitis B virus RNA is encapsidated pregenome RNA that may be associated with persistence of viral infection and rebound.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 700-710
- Hepatitis B virus RNA is measurable in serum and can be a new marker for monitoring lamivudine therapy.J Gastroenterol. 2006; 41: 785-790
- Hepatitis B virus pregenomic RNA is present in virions in plasma and is associated with a response to pegylated interferon alfa-2a and nucleos(t)ide analogues.J Infect Dis. 2016; 213: 224-232
- Serum HBV pgRNA as a clinical marker for cccDNA activity.J Hepatol. 2017; 66: 460-462
- Serum hepatitis B virus RNA levels as an early predictor of hepatitis B envelope antigen seroconversion during treatment with polymerase inhibitors.Hepatology. 2015; 61: 66-76
- Nucleoside/nucleotide analogues in the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66: 2715-2725
Published online: November 04, 2017
© 2017 European Association for the Study of the Liver. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.