Hepatic encephalopathy (HE) is a major complication of liver disease that has a multi-faceted pathophysiology.
It is associated with a substantial burden to the individual, their caregivers, society and the overall healthcare system. The emergence of HE as a leading cause of re-admissions, mortality and psychosocial impairment in cirrhosis should be a rallying cry to improve its management.
- Stepanova M.
- Mishra A.
- Venkatesan C.
- Younossi Z.M.
In-hospital mortality and economic burden associated with hepatic encephalopathy in the United States from 2005 to 2009.
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 10 ([e1031]): 1034-1041
The current demographic trend towards an aging population makes diagnosis challenging and increases the burden of HE, since most older patients are not liver transplant candidates.
- Bajaj J.S.
- Reddy K.R.
- Tandon P.
- Wong F.
- Kamath P.S.
- Garcia-Tsao G.
- et al.
The 3-month readmission rate remains unacceptably high in a large North American cohort of patients with cirrhosis.
Hepatology. 2016; 64: 200-208
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- In-hospital mortality and economic burden associated with hepatic encephalopathy in the United States from 2005 to 2009.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 10 ([e1031]): 1034-1041
- The 3-month readmission rate remains unacceptably high in a large North American cohort of patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2016; 64: 200-208
- Hepatic encephalopathy in chronic liver disease: 2014 Practice Guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the European Association for the Study of the Liver.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 715-735
- Critical flicker frequency for quantification of low-grade hepatic encephalopathy.Hepatology. 2002; 35: 357-366
- Review article: the design of clinical trials in hepatic encephalopathy–an International Society for Hepatic Encephalopathy and Nitrogen Metabolism (ISHEN) consensus statement.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 33: 739-747
- Lactulose improves cognitive functions and health-related quality of life in patients with cirrhosis who have minimal hepatic encephalopathy.Hepatology. 2007; 45: 549-559
- Characteristics, risk factors, and mortality of cirrhotic patients hospitalized for hepatic encephalopathy with and without acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF).J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 275-281
- The nutritional management of hepatic encephalopathy in patients with cirrhosis: International Society for Hepatic Encephalopathy and Nitrogen Metabolism Consensus.Hepatology. 2013; 58: 325-336
- Hepatic encephalopathy expands the predictivity of model for end-stage liver disease in liver transplant setting: Evidence by means of 2 independent cohorts.Liver Transpl. 2016; 22: 1333-1342
- Persistence of cognitive impairment after resolution of overt hepatic encephalopathy.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 2332-2340
Accepted: November 1, 2017
Received in revised form: September 27, 2017
Received: July 13, 2017
© 2017 European Association for the Study of the Liver. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.