We read with great interest the report by Reig et al. describing unexpected early tumor recurrence in patients with hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) undergoing treatment with interferon (IFN)-free direct-acting antivirals (DAA).
There is some debate as to whether DAA therapy increases the risk of liver cancer. We report herein a clinicopathological case series of patients who experienced HCC occurrence after DAA therapy, in order to shed some light on this emerging issue.
- Reig M.
- Marino Z.
- Perello C.
- Inarrairaegui M.
- Ribeiro A.
- Lens S.
- et al.
Unexpected early tumor recurrence in patients with hepatitis C virus -related hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing interferon-free therapy: a note of caution.
J Hepatol. 2016; 4: 8
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Unexpected early tumor recurrence in patients with hepatitis C virus -related hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing interferon-free therapy: a note of caution.J Hepatol. 2016; 4: 8
- Report of the 19th follow-up survey of primary liver cancer in Japan.Hepatol Res. 2016; 46: 372-390
- Pathology of early hepatocellular carcinoma: progression from early to advanced.Semin Surg Oncol. 1996; 12: 197-203
- Serological and histological indices of hepatocellular carcinoma and tumor volume doubling time.Mol Clin Oncol. 2013; 6: 977-981
- Preoperative tumor marker doubling time is a useful predictor of recurrence and prognosis after hepatic resection of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Surg Oncol. 2010; 102: 490-496
- Tumor marker doubling time can be useful as a prognostic marker for hepatocellular carcinoma.Kanzo. 2014; 55: 550-552
- DAAs rapidly reduce inflammation but increase serum VEGF level: a rationale for tumor risk during anti-HCV treatment.PLoS One. 2016; 11
- On-treatment decrease of NKG2D correlates to early emergence of clinically evident hepatocellular carcinoma after interferon-free therapy for chronic hepatitis C.PLoS One. 2017; 12
Published online: November 13, 2017
© 2017 European Association for the Study of the Liver. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.