- •Serum FGF19 and bile acids are significantly increased in patients with alcoholic hepatitis.
- •Total and conjugated bile acids correlated positively with FGF19 and with disease severity (MELD score).
- •Modulation of bile acid metabolism or signaling could represent a promising target for treatment of alcoholic hepatitis.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Spectrum of alcoholic liver disease.Clin Liver Dis. 2016; 20: 419-427
- Prednisolone or pentoxifylline for alcoholic hepatitis.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 282-283
- Corticosteroid therapy of alcoholic hepatitis.Gastroenterology. 1978; 75: 193-199
- A new scoring system for prognostic stratification of patients with alcoholic hepatitis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2008; 103: 2747-2756
- Management of alcoholic hepatitis.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: S39-S45
- A histologic scoring system for prognosis of patients with alcoholic hepatitis.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146 (e1231–e1236): 1231-1239
- Nuclear receptors as drug targets in cholestatic liver diseases.Clin Liver Dis. 2013; 17: 161-189
- Serum bile acids and cholestasis in alcoholic hepatitis. Relationship with usual liver tests and histological features.J Hepatol. 1994; 21: 235-240
- High expression of the bile salt-homeostatic hormone fibroblast growth factor 19 in the liver of patients with extrahepatic cholestasis.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1228-1235
- Expression of hepatic Fibroblast Growth Factor 19 is enhanced in Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and correlates with severity of the disease.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 13462
- Circulating FGF19 closely correlates with bile acid synthesis and cholestasis in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0178580
- Continued alcohol misuse in human cirrhosis is associated with an impaired gut-liver axis.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2017; 41: 1857-1865
- Intestinal FXR agonism promotes adipose tissue browning and reduces obesity and insulin resistance.Nat Med. 2015; 21: 159-165
R: A language and environment for statistical computing [computer program]. http://www.R-project.org/2014.
- Bile acids and dysbiosis in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0151829
- Up-regulation of fibroblast growth factor 19 and its receptor associates with progression from fatty liver to hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 52329-52339
- Bile acid metabolism and signaling in cholestasis, inflammation, and cancer.Adv Pharmacol. 2015; 74: 263-302
- Bile acids activate fibroblast growth factor 19 signaling in human hepatocytes to inhibit cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase gene expression.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 297-305
- Expression of the bile salt export pump is maintained after chronic cholestasis in the rat.Gastroenterology. 2000; 118: 163-172
- Multidrug resistance-associated protein 4 is up-regulated in liver but down-regulated in kidney in obstructive cholestasis in the rat.J Hepatol. 2004; 40: 585-591
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha-dependent up-regulation of Lrh-1 and Mrp3(Abcc3) reduces liver injury in obstructive cholestasis.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 36688-36698
- Colonic inflammation and secondary bile acids in alcoholic cirrhosis.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014; 306: G929-G937
- Fibroblast growth factor signaling controls liver size in mice with humanized livers.Gastroenterology. 2015; 149 (e715): 728-740
- Loss of ileum decreases serum fibroblast growth factor 19 in relation to liver inflammation and fibrosis in pediatric onset intestinal failure.J Hepatol. 2015; 62: 1391-1397
- Engineered fibroblast growth factor 19 reduces liver injury and resolves sclerosing cholangitis in Mdr2-deficient mice.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 914-929
- Modulation of the intestinal bile acid-FXR-FGF15 axis improves alcoholic liver disease in mice.Hepatology. 2017 Nov 21; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Engineered fibroblast growth factor 19 protects from acetaminophen-induced liver injury and stimulates aged liver regeneration in mice.Cell Death Dis. 2017; 8e3083
- A placebo-controlled trial of obeticholic acid in primary biliary cholangitis.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 631-643
- Farnesoid X nuclear receptor ligand obeticholic acid for non-cirrhotic, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (FLINT): a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 956-965
- NGM282 for treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1174-1185
☆Guest Editor Didier Samuel.