- •The rate of advanced fibrosis in community hepatitis C is significant at 16.5%.
- •No laboratory features of active disease were seen in 8.5% at risk of cirrhosis.
- •Rates of advanced fibrosis were comparable between a hospital and community groups.
- •Older age, high BMI, ALT and alcohol use were linked to elevated liver stiffness.
- •A liver stiffness greater than 24 kPa predicted liver related events in this cohort.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A modelling study.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 2: 161-176
- The global burden of viral hepatitis from 1990 to 2013: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1081-1088
- Global cancer statistics, 2012.CA Cancer J Clin. 2015; 65: 87-108
- Surveillance for early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: how best to do it?.World J Gastroenterol. 2013; 19: 8808-8821
- Hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance is associated with improved survival and can be targeted to high risk populations.Hepatology. 2015; 62: 432A
- 1 and 5 year survival estimates for people with cirrhosis of the liver in England, 1998–2009: a large population study.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 282-289
- The cascade of care for an Australian community-based hepatitis C treatment service.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0142770
TheKirbyInstitute. HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmissible infections in Australia Annual Surveillance Report 2016. In: The Kirby Institute UA, Sydney NSW 2052, editor, 2016.
- Chronic hepatitis C burden and care cascade in Australia in the era of interferon-based treatment.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 32: 229-236
- Enhanced antiviral treatment efficacy and uptake in preventing the rising burden of hepatitis C-related liver disease and costs in Australia.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 29: 1-9
- Combating hepatitis B and C to reach elimination by 2030.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2016
TheKirbyInstitute. Monitoring hepatitis C treatment uptake in Australia (Issue 7). In: TheKirbyInstitute, editor, UNSW, 2017.
- Transient elastography: a new noninvasive method for assessment of hepatic fibrosis.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2003; 12: 1705-1713
- Prospective comparison of transient elastography, Fibrotest, APRI, and liver biopsy for the assessment of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C.Gastroenterology. 2005; 128: 343-350
- Non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis by stiffness measurement in patients with chronic hepatitis B.Liver Int. 2009; 29: 242-247
- Liver stiffness measurements in patients with HBV vs. HCV chronic hepatitis: A comparative study.World J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16: 4832
- Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis by measurement of stiffness in patients with chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 48-54
- Dual cut-off transient elastography to assess liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B: a cohort study with internal validation.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 34: 353-362
- Transient elastography for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2010; 7: 811-823
- Non-invasive evaluation of liver fibrosis using transient elastography.J Hepatol. 2008; 48: 835-847
- EASL-ALEH Clinical Practice Guidelines: Non-invasive tests for evaluation of liver disease severity and prognosis.J Hepatol. 2015; 63: 237-264
- Performance of transient elastography for the staging of liver fibrosis: a meta-analysis.Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 960-974
- Detection of early portal hypertension with routine data and liver stiffness in patients with asymptomatic liver disease: a prospective study.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 561-569
- Prospective risk assessment for hepatocellular carcinoma development in patients with chronic hepatitis C by transient elastography.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1954-1961
- Prediction of liver-related events using Fibroscan in chronic hepatitis B patients showing advanced liver fibrosis.PLoS One. 2012; 7e36676
- Development of the alcohol use disorders identification test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption–II.Addiction. 1993; 88: 791-804
Council NHaMR. NHMRC Australian Guidelines to reduce health risks from drinking alcohol. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/ds10-alcohol.pdf; 2009.
UK Chief Medical Officers’ Low Risk Drinking Guidelines.. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545937/UK_CMOs__report.pdf: UK Department of Health; 2016.
- Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1640-1645
- Liver stiffness values in apparently healthy subjects: influence of gender and metabolic syndrome.J Hepatol. 2008; 48: 606-613
- Australian recommendations for the management of hepatitis C virus infection: a consensus statement.Med J Austr. 2016; 204: 268-272
- Australian Liver Association (ALA) expert consensus recommendations for the use of transient elastography in chronic viral hepatitis.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 30: 453-462
- Sample size estimation in epidemiologic studies.Caspian J Intern Med. 2011; 2: 289-298
- Sample size calculation in medical studies.Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2013; 6: 14-17
- The treatment cascade for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in the United States: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9e101554
- Characteristics of cirrhosis undiagnosed during life: a comparative analysis of 73 undiagnosed cases and 149 diagnosed cases of cirrhosis, detected in 4929 consecutive autopsies.J Intern Med. 1991; 230: 165-171
- Estimating progression to cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis C virus infection.Hepatology. 2001; 34: 809-816
- Screening for liver fibrosis in the general population: a call for action.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 1: 256-260
- Burden of liver disease among community-based people who inject drugs (PWID) in Chennai, India.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0147879
- HIV, age, and the severity of hepatitis C virus-related liver disease: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 658-666
- Transient elastography as a screening tool for liver fibrosis and cirrhosis in a community-based population aged over 45 years.Gut. 2011; 60: 977-984
- BreastScreen Australia monitoring report 2013–2014. Cancer series no. 100. Cat. no. CAN 99.AIHW, Canberra2016
AIHW. National Bowel Cancer Screening Program: monitoring report 2016. Canberra, 2016.
- Cancer screening, prevention, and treatment in people with mental illness.CA A Cancer J. 2016; 66: 133-151
- Is unhealthy substance use associated with failure to receive cancer screening and flu vaccination? A retrospective cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2011; 1
- Impact of alcohol on the histological and clinical progression of hepatitis C infection.Hepatology. 1998; 28: 805-809
- Prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in alcoholic patients: cohort study and systematic review.Alcohol Alcohol. 2013; 48: 564-569
- Clinical significance of concomitant hepatitis C infection in patients with alcoholic liver disease.Hepatology. 1994; 19: 554-557
- Daily cannabis smoking as a risk factor for progression of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2005; 42: 63-71
- Influence of cannabis use on severity of hepatitis C disease.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 6: 69-75
- Body-mass index and progression of hepatitis B: a population-based cohort study in men.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 5576-5582
- Metabolic syndrome increases the risk of liver cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis B.Gut. 2009; 58: 111-117
- Coincidental metabolic syndrome increases the risk of liver fibrosis progression in patients with chronic hepatitis B–a prospective cohort study with paired transient elastography examinations.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 39: 883-893
- Hepatitis B virus infection and metabolic syndrome: fact or fiction?.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 30: 14-20
- Relationship between steatosis, inflammation, and fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.Gastroenterology. 2006; 130: 1636-1642
- Noninvasive measures of liver fibrosis.Hepatology. 2006; 43: S113-S120
- Direct comparison of the FibroScan XL and M probes for assessment of liver fibrosis in obese and nonobese patients.Hepat Med. 2013; 5: 43-52
- Comparison of the M and XL FibroScan((R)) probes to estimate liver stiffness by transient elastography.Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 37: 233-239
- Non-invasive prediction of forthcoming cirrhosis-related complications.World J Gastroenterol. 2014; 20: 2613-2623
- A novel liver stiffness measurement-based prediction model for cirrhosis in hepatitis B patients.Liver Int. 2010; 30: 1073-1081
- Risk assessment of hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma development using liver stiffness measurement (FibroScan).Hepatology. 2011; 53: 885-894
- Liver stiffness measurement predicts liver-related events in patients with chronic hepatitis C: A retrospective study.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0184404
- Sofosbuvir and velpatasvir for HCV genotype 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 infection.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2599-2607
- Barriers to hepatitis C virus treatment in a Canadian HIV-hepatitis C virus coinfection tertiary care clinic.Can J Gastroenterol. 2008; 22: 133-137