- •Experimental and human NASH is associated with reduced urea cycle enzyme expression.
- •Hypermethylation of urea cycle enzymes is a potential underlying mechanism.
- •The functional changes of urea synthesis in NASH are associated with hyperammonemia.
- •Hyperammonemia can cause progression of liver injury and fibrosis.
- •Ammonia is a potential novel target for prevention of progression of NASH.
Background & Aims
- Liver disease in the UK: a Lancet Commission.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1537-1538
- The burden of liver disease in Europe: a review of available epidemiological data.J Hepatol. 2013; 58: 593-608
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a spectrum of clinical and pathological severity.Gastroenterology. 1999; 116: 1413-1419
- Are oxidative stress mechanisms the common denominator in the progression from hepatic steatosis towards non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)?.Liver Int. 2014; 34: e180-190
- Fibrosis stage is the strongest predictor for disease-specific mortality in NAFLD after up to 33 years of follow-up.Hepatology. 2015; 61: 1547-1554
- Liver fibrosis, but no other histologic features, is associated with long-term outcomes of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2015; 149: e310
- Molecular mechanisms of hepatic fibrosis in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.Dig Dis. 2010; 28: 229-235
- Urea biosynthesis I. The urea cycle and relationships to the citric acid cycle.Am J Clin Nutr. 1977; 30: 2083-2087
- NASH: a mitochondrial disease.J Hepatol. 2005; 42: 928-940
- Experimental nonalcoholic steatohepatitis compromises ureagenesis, an essential hepatic metabolic function.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014; 307: G295-301
- Ammonia produces pathological changes in human hepatic stellate cells and is a target for therapy of portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2016; 64: 823-833
- Histopathological algorithm and scoring system for evaluation of liver lesions in morbidly obese patients.Hepatology. 2012; 56: 1751-1759
- Primer-BLAST: a tool to design target-specific primers for polymerase chain reaction.BMC Bioinf. 2012; 13: 134
- Structure of the rat ornithine carbamoyltransferase gene, a large, X chromosome-linked gene with an atypical promoter.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987; 84: 6136-6140
- Promoter and 11-kilobase upstream enhancer elements responsible for hepatoma cell-specific expression of the rat ornithine transcarbamylase gene.Mol Cell Biol. 1990; 10: 1180-1191
- Determination of tissue specificity of the enhancer by combinatorial operation of tissue-enriched transcription factors. Both HNF-4 and C/EBP beta are required for liver-specific activity of the ornithine transcarbamylase enhancer.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 1323-1331
- Contribution of hyperammonemia and inflammatory factors to cognitive impairment in minimal hepatic encephalopathy.Metab Brain Dis. 2012; 27: 51-58
- Alterations in adipocytokines and cGMP homeostasis in morbid obesity patients reverse after bariatric surgery.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 229-237
- Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 1313-1321
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
- A morphological method for ammonia detection in liver.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12: e0173914
- IHC profiler: an open source plugin for the quantitative evaluation and automated scoring of immunohistochemistry images of human tissue samples.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9: e96801
- AGA technical review on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2002; 123: 1705-1725
- Liver abnormalities in severely obese subjects: effect of drastic weight loss after gastroplasty.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998; 22: 222-226
- Epigenetic modification of liver mitochondrial DNA is associated with histological severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gut. 2013; 62: 1356-1363
- Mitonuclear communication in homeostasis and stress.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2016; 17: 213-226
- Assembly factors of human mitochondrial respiratory chain complexes: physiology and pathophysiology.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012; 748: 65-106
- Long-chain fatty acids suppress the induction of urea cycle enzyme genes by glucocorticoid action.FEBS Lett. 1996; 399: 310-312
- DNA methylation analysis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease suggests distinct disease-specific and remodeling signatures after bariatric surgery.Cell Metab. 2013; 18: 296-302
- Relationship between methylome and transcriptome in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2013; 145: 1076-1087
- Potential epigenetic mechanism in non-alcoholic Fatty liver disease.Int J Mol Sci. 2015; 16: 5161-5179
- Transcriptomic and epigenetic changes in early liver steatosis associated to obesity: effect of dietary methyl donor supplementation.Mol Genet Metab. 2013; 110: 388-395
- Differential DNA methylation of genes involved in fibrosis progression in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and alcoholic liver disease.Clin Epigenetics. 2015; 7: 25
- DNA methylation patterns and epigenetic memory.Genes Dev. 2002; 16: 6-21
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease proteomics.Proteomics Clin Appl. 2010; 4: 362-371
De Chiara F, Habtension A, Davies N, Andreola F, Rombouts K, Arias N, Thomsen KL, et al. Early increase in ammonia is a feature of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and the ammonia lowering drug, Ornithine Phenylacetate (OCR-002) prevents progression of fibrosis in a rodent model. Abstract, The International Liver Congress. 2017.
☆Guest Editor: Didier Samuel.