- •HFE hemochromatosis has become less and less severe over the last 30 years despite older age at diagnosis.
- •Chronic fatigue and distal arthralgias remain the most frequent opening symptoms.
- •Reduced alcohol intake and more overweight patients may explain decreased long-term iron load in hemochromatosis.
- •Tobacco smoking may aggravate iron loading.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Haemochromatosis.Lancet. 2016; 388: 706-716
- Iron-overload-related disease in HFE hereditary hemochromatosis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 221-230
- Genome-wide association study identifies TF as a significant modifier gene of iron metabolism in HFE hemochromatosis.J Hepatol. 2015; 62: 664-672
- Exome sequencing in HFE C282Y homozygous men with extreme phenotypes identifies a GNPAT variant associated with severe iron overload.Hepatology. 2015;
- An algorithm for the grading of activity in chronic hepatitis C. The METAVIR Cooperative Study Group.Hepatology. 1996; 24: 289-293
- Noninvasive prediction of fibrosis in C282Y homozygous hemochromatosis.Gastroenterology. 1998; 115: 929-936
- Redox active plasma iron in C282Y/C282Y hemochromatosis.Blood. 2005; 105: 4527-4531
- The natural history of serum iron indices for HFE C282Y homozygosity associated with hereditary hemochromatosis.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1945-1952
- Decreased cardiovascular and extrahepatic cancer-related mortality in treated patients with mild HFE hemochromatosis.J Hepatol. 2015; 62: 682-689
- Impact of HFE genetic testing on clinical presentation of hereditary hemochromatosis: new epidemiological data.BMC Med Genet. 2005; 6: 24
- Diagnosis of hereditary hemochromatosis in the era of genetic testing.Dig Dis Sci. 2012; 57: 2988-2994
- Hemochromatosis in Italy in the last 30 years: role of genetic and acquired factors.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 501-510
- HFE C282Y/H63D compound heterozygotes are at low risk of hemochromatosis-related morbidity.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 94-101
- Screening for hemochromatosis: recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 145: 204-208
- Idiopathic hemochromatosis. Demonstration of recessive transmission and early detection by family HLA typing.N Engl J Med. 1977; 297: 1017-1021
- Excess alcohol greatly increases the prevalence of cirrhosis in hereditary hemochromatosis.Gastroenterology. 2002; 122: 281-289
- Liver fibrosis in genetic hemochromatosis. Respective roles of iron and non-iron-related factors in 127 homozygous patients.J Hepatol. 1992; 16: 122-127
- Miscellaneous non-inflammatory musculoskeletal conditions. Haemochromatosis: the bone and the joint.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2011; 25: 649-664
- Iron-mediated regulation of liver hepcidin expression in rats and mice is abolished by alcohol.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 1979-1985
- Increased adipose tissue expression of hepcidin in severe obesity is independent from diabetes and NASH.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 788-796
- Iron: the hard player in diabetes pathophysiology.Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2014; 210: 717-732
- Decreased iron burden in overweight C282Y homozygous women: Putative role of increased hepcidin production.Hepatology. 2013; 57: 1784-1792
- Venesection therapy of insulin resistance-associated hepatic iron overload.J Hepatol. 2001; 35: 344-349
- Regulation of iron homeostasis by the hypoxia-inducible transcription factors (HIFs).J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 1926-1932
- Non-transferrin bound iron: a key role in iron overload and iron toxicity.BBA. 2012; 1820: 403-410
- The relationship between iron overload, clinical symptoms, and age in 410 patients with genetic hemochromatosis.Hepatology. 1997; 25: 162-166