- •Downregulation of TLR3 in HCC is associated with poor prognosis and with resistance to TLR3-triggered apoptosis.
- •Downregulation of TLR3 is an escape mechanism for HCC cells which prevents their apoptosis and enhances tumor progression.
- •The effect of TLR3 on apoptosis, which limits tumor progression, is independent of the immune response.
- •TLR3 ligands may represent an effective treatment option for HCC expressing TLR3.
Background & Aims
Low levels of toll-like receptor 3 (TLR3) in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are associated with poor prognosis, primarily owing to the loss of inflammatory signaling and subsequent lack of immune cell recruitment to the liver. Herein, we explore the role of TLR3-triggered apoptosis in HCC cells.
Quantitative reverse transcription PCR, western blotting, immunohistochemistry and comparative genomic hybridization were used to analyze human and mouse HCC cell lines, as well as surgically resected primary human HCCs, and to study the impact of TLR3 expression on patient outcomes. Functional analyses were performed in HCC cells, following the restoration of TLR3 by lentiviral transduction. The role of TLR3-triggered apoptosis in HCC was analyzed in vivo in a transgenic mouse model of HCC.
Lower expression of TLR3 in tumor compared to non-tumor matched tissue was observed at both mRNA and protein levels in primary HCC, and was predictive of shorter recurrence-free survival after surgical resection in both univariate (hazard ratio [HR] 1.79; 95% CI 1.04–3.06; p = 0.03) and multivariate analyses (HR 1.73; CI 1.01–2.97; p = 0.04). Immunohistochemistry confirmed frequent downregulation of TLR3 in human and mouse primary HCC cells. None of the 6 human HCC cell lines analyzed expressed TLR3, and ectopic expression of TLR3 following lentiviral transduction not only restored the inflammatory response but also sensitized cells to TLR3-triggered apoptosis. Lastly, in the transgenic mouse model of HCC, absence of TLR3 expression was accompanied by a lower rate of preneoplastic hepatocyte apoptosis and accelerated hepatocarcinogenesis without altering the tumor immune infiltrate.
Downregulation of TLR3 protects transforming hepatocytes from direct TLR3-triggered apoptosis, thereby contributing to hepatocarcinogenesis and poor patient outcome.
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a heterogeneous disease associated with a poor prognosis. In patients with HCC, TLR3 downregulation is associated with reduced survival. Herein, we show that the absence of TLR3 is associated with a lower rate of apoptosis, and subsequently more rapid hepatocarcinogenesis, without any change to the immune infiltrate in the liver. Therefore, the poor prognosis associated with low TLR3 expression in HCC is likely linked to tumors ability to escape apoptosis. TLR3 may become a promising therapeutic target in TLR3-positive HCC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship
- Induction and function of type I and III interferon in response to viral infection.Curr Opin Virol. 2011; 1: 476-486
- Innate immunity to virus infection.Immunol Rev. 2009; 227: 75-86
- Recognition of double-stranded RNA and activation of NF-kappaB by Toll-like receptor 3.Nature. 2001; 413: 732-738
- Toll-like receptor 3 recognizes incomplete stem structures in single-stranded viral RNA.Nat Commun. 2013; 4: 1833
- mRNA is an endogenous ligand for Toll-like receptor 3.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 12542-12550
- Activation of chemokine and inflammatory cytokine response in hepatitis C virus-infected hepatocytes depends on Toll-like receptor 3 sensing of hepatitis C virus double-stranded RNA intermediates.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 666-675
- Characterization of HCV interactions with Toll-like receptors and RIG-I in liver cells.PLoS ONE. 2011; 6e21186
- TLR3 can directly trigger apoptosis in human cancer cells.J Immunol. 2006; 176: 4894-4901
- Toll-like receptor 3 expressed by melanoma cells as a target for therapy?.Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13: 4565-4574
- Poly(I:C) induces intense expression of c-IAP2 and cooperates with an IAP inhibitor in induction of apoptosis in cancer cells.BMC Cancer. 2010; 10: 327
- Toll-like receptor 3 signaling induces apoptosis in human head and neck cancer via survivin associated pathway.Oncol Rep. 2010; 24: 225-231
- Toll-like receptor 3 triggers apoptosis of human prostate cancer cells through a PKC-alpha-dependent mechanism.Carcinogenesis. 2008; 29: 1334-1342
- dsRNA induces apoptosis through an atypical death complex associating TLR3 to caspase-8.Cell Death Differ. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2012.22
- TLR3 signaling in a hepatoma cell line is skewed towards apoptosis.J Cell Biochem. 2007; 100: 1301-1312
- Toll-Like Receptor 3 Expressing Tumor Parenchyma and Infiltrating Natural Killer Cells in Hepatocellular Carcinoma Patients.JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2012; 104: 1796-1807https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djs436
- Infection of a human hepatoma cell line by hepatitis B virus.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002; 99: 15655-15660
- Oncogenic role of the frizzled-7/β-catenin pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2005; 43: 854-862
- Time-course development of differentiated hepatocarcinoma and lung metastasis in transgenic mice.J Hepatol. 1991; 13: 227-239
- Immune biomarkers PD-1/PD-L1 and TLR3 in malignant pleural mesotheliomas.Hum Pathol. 2016; 52: 9-18
- TLR3 plays significant roles against HBV-associated HCC.Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2015; 2015572171
- Dual topology of functional Toll-like receptor 3 expression in human hepatocellular carcinoma: differential signaling mechanisms of TLR3-induced NF-kappaB activation and apoptosis.Int J Oncol. 2008; 33: 929-936
- TLR3 expression correlates with apoptosis, proliferation and angiogenesis in hepatocellular carcinoma and predicts prognosis.BMC Cancer. 2015; 15: 245
- Genome-wide molecular profiles of HCV-induced dysplasia and hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2007; 45: 938-947
- p53 regulates Toll-like receptor 3 expression and function in human epithelial cell lines.Mol Cell Biol. 2008; 28: 6557-6567
- The mutational landscape of hepatocellular carcinoma.Clin Mol Hepatol. 2015; 21: 220-229
- Association of TP53 mutations with stem cell-like gene expression and survival of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2011; 140: 1063-1070
- Expression and functionality of Toll- and RIG-like receptors in HepaRG cells.J Hepatol. 2015; 63: 1077-1085
- Cleaved/associated TLR3 represents the primary form of the signaling receptor.J Immunol. 2012; https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1202173
- Activation of innate immunity is required for efficient nuclear reprogramming.Cell. 2012; 151: 547-558
- Distinct poly(I-C) and virus-activated signaling pathways leading to interferon-beta production in hepatocytes.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 16739-16747
- Enhanced expression of type I interferon and toll-like receptor-3 in primary biliary cirrhosis.Lab Invest. 2005; 85: 908-920
- Release of c-FLIP brake selectively sensitizes human cancer cells to TLR3-mediated apoptosis.Cell Death Dis. 2018; 9
- Inflammatory tumor microenvironment is associated with superior survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients.J Hepatol. 2010; 52: 370-379https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2009.07.013
- TLR-mediated activation of NK cells and their role in bacterial/viral immune responses in mammals.Immunol Cell Biol. 2014; 92: 256-262
- Nucleic acid-sensing Toll-like receptors are essential for the control of endogenous retrovirus viremia and ERV-induced tumors.Immunity. 2012; 37: 867-879
- Repression of stress-induced LINE-1 expression protects cancer cell subpopulations from lethal drug exposure.Cancer Cell. 2017; 32: 221-237.e13
- Double-stranded RNA of intestinal commensal but not pathogenic bacteria triggers production of protective interferon-β.Immunity. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2013.02.024
- Toll-like receptor 3 signaling attenuates liver regeneration.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 198-206
- Toll like receptor 3 plays a critical role in the progression and severity of acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8e65899
Published online: June 17, 2019
Accepted: May 21, 2019
Received in revised form: May 17, 2019
Received: January 29, 2019
© 2019 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of European Association for the Study of the Liver.