- •Intelligent liver function testing utilises the smarter application of existing knowledge and technology.
- •Intelligent liver function testing increases diagnosis of liver disease by 43%, with diagnostic accuracy over 90%.
- •Intelligent liver function testing enables earlier identification of treatable liver disease.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
- Development of a decision support tool for primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease: a record-linkage population cohort study and decision analysis (ALFIE).Health Technol Assess [Internet]. 2009; 13 (Available from:)
- Presence and severity of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in a large prospective primary care cohort.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 234-240
- Reducing liver function tests for statin monitoring: an observational comparison of two clinical commissioning groups.Br J Gen Pract. 2017; 67: e194-e200
- Audit of physical health monitoring in children and adolescents receiving antipsychotics in neurodevelopmental clinics in Northumberland.World J Psychiatry. 2018; 16: 27-32
- Abnormal liver function tests in acute heart failure: relationship with clinical characteristics and outcome in the PROTECT study.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 830-839
- Development and validation of diagnostic triage criteria for liver disease from a minimum data set enabling the ‘intelligent LFT’ pathway for the automated assessment of deranged liver enzymes.Frontline Gastroenterol. 2018; 9
- A systematic review of the prevalence of mildly abnormal liver function tests and associated health outcomes.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol [Internet]. 2015; 2 (Available from:)
- Evaluation of abnormal liver-enzyme results in asymptomatic patients. (Review Article).N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1266
- Addressing liver disease in the UK: a blueprint for attaining excellence in health care and reducing premature mortality from lifestyle issues of excess consumption of alcohol, obesity, and viral hepatitis.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1953-1997
- The epidemiology of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Liver Int. 2017; 37: 81-84
- Epidemiology and natural history of alcoholic liver disease.Rev Recent Clin Trials. 2016; 11: 167-174
- Chronic hepatitis C and liver fibrosis.World J Gastroenterol. 2014; 20: 11033-11053
- Burden of liver disease in Europe: epidemiology and analysis of risk factors to identify prevention policies.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 718-735
- The SCottish Alcoholic Liver disease Evaluation: A Population-Level Matched Cohort Study of Hospital-Based Costs, 1991–2011.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11e0162980
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver.3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, 1997: 735-752
- Diagnosis and monitoring of hepatic injury. II. Recommendations for use of laboratory tests in screening, diagnosis, and monitoring.Clin. Chem. 2000; 46: 2050-2068
- Descriptive epidemiology of acute liver enzyme abnormalities in the general population of central Massachusetts.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 1999; 8: 275-283
- Normal serum aminotransferase concentration and risk of mortality from liver diseases: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2004; 328 (983–983)
- Should patients with abnormal liver function tests in primary care be tested for chronic viral hepatitis: cost minimisation analysis based on a comprehensively tested cohort.BMC Fam Pract. 2011; 12 (9–9)
- Prevalence of chronic liver disease in the general population of northern Italy: the Dionysos study.Hepatology. 1994; 20: 1442-1449
- The epidemiology of liver disease in Tayside database: a population-based record-linkage study.J Biomed Inform. 2002; 35: 186-193
- Development of a decision support tool to facilitate primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease [HTA03/38/02]. Abnormal Liver Function Investigations Evaluation (ALFIE).BMC Health Serv Res. 2007; 7 (54–54)
- How are abnormal results for liver function tests dealt with in primary care? Audit of yield and impact.BMJ. 2001; 322: 276-278
Jansky M, Mattlinger C, Nguyen-Tat M, Galle PR, Lammert F, Jäger J, et al. Abklärung von Leberwerterhöhungen in der hausärztlichen Praxis – Versorgungsrealität in Deutschland. Dtsch Med Wochenschr (EFirst), 2018.
- Guidelines on the management of abnormal liver blood tests.Gut. 2018; 67: 6-19
- Enhanced liver fibrosis test can predict clinical outcomes in patients with chronic liver disease.Gut. 2010; 59: 1245
- Validation of the FIB4 index in a Japanese nonalcoholic fatty liver disease population.BMC Gastroenterol. 2012; 12 (2–2)
European Association for the Study of the Liver. EASL-ALEH Clinical Practice Guidelines: Non-invasive tests for evaluation of liver disease severity and prognosis [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2018 Jun 26]. Available from: http://www.easl.eu/medias/cpg/Non-invasive/English-report.pdf.
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Weight management: lifestyle services for overweight or obese adults [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2018 Jun 21]. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph53/chapter/4-Considerations#cost-effectiveness.
- Design and analysis of stepped wedge cluster randomized trials.Contemp Clin Trials. 2007; 28: 182-191
Curtis L, Burns A. Unit Costs of Health & Social Care 2016 [Internet]. Personal Social Services Research Unit, University of Kent; 2016 [cited 2018 Jun 21]. Available from: https://www.pssru.ac.uk/pub/uc/uc2016/full.pdf.
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Guide to the methods of technology appraisal 2013 [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2018 Jun 21]. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/process/pmg9/chapter/Foreword.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a practical approach to diagnosis and staging.Frontline Gastroenterol. 2014; 5: 211
- ACG Clinical Guideline: Evaluation of Abnormal Liver Chemistries.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec; 20: 18
- NICE’s cost effectiveness threshold.BMJ. 2007; 335: 358-359
- The Performance of Enhanced Liver Fibrosis (ELF) test for the staging of liver fibrosis: a meta-analysis.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9e92772
- Extensive testing or focused testing of patients with elevated liver enzymes.J Hepatol. 2017; 66: 313-319