- •FFP transfusion before invasive procedures enhanced the total amount of generated thrombin by 5.7%.
- •Transfusion slightly decreased thrombin generation in a subgroup of patients, presumably by replenishing protein C.
- •Responses to FFP transfusion were similar in patients with compensated/decompensated cirrhosis, ACLF, infection or shock.
- •Benefit of FFP transfusion in cirrhosis was too modest to justify its indiscriminate use.
Background & Aims
- Evidence of normal thrombin generation in cirrhosis despite abnormal conventional coagulation tests.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 553-558
- Thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor deficiency in cirrhosis is not associated with increased plasma fibrinolysis.Gastroenterology. 2001; 121: 131-139
- An imbalance of pro- vs anti-coagulation factors in plasma from patients with cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2009; 137: 2105-2111
- Dismantling the myth of “autoanticoagulation” in cirrhosis: an old dogma dies hard.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 1634-1637
- Liver cirrhosis is associated with venous thromboembolism among hospitalized patients in a nationwide US study.CGH. 2010; 8: 800-805
- Epidemiology of venous thromboembolism in patients with liver diseases: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Intern Emerg Med. 2014; 10: 205-217
- Thrombin formation.Chest. 2003; 124: 4S-10S
- Patterns of blood component use in cirrhosis: a nationwide study.Liver Int. 2015; 36: 522-529
- A clinical survey of bleeding, thrombosis, and blood product use in decompensated cirrhosis patients.Ann Hepatol. 2012; 11: 686-690
- Thrombin generation in plasma from patients with cirrhosis supplemented with normal plasma: considerations on the efficacy of treatment with fresh-frozen plasma.Intern Emerg Med. 2012; 7: 139-144
- In vitro efficacy of pro- and anticoagulant strategies in compensated and acutely ill patients with cirrhosis.Liver Int. 2018; 38: 1988-1996
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure is a distinct syndrome that develops in patients with acute decompensation of cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144 (1426–143.e9)
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1453-1457
- Coagulation parameters in patients with cirrhosis and portal vein thrombosis treated sequentially with low molecular weight heparin and vitamin K antagonists.Digest Liver Dis. 2016; 48: 1208-1213
- Thrombin generation tests.Thromb Res. 2011; 127: S21-S25
- A computer assisted method to obtain the prothrombin activation velocity in whole plasma independent of thrombin decay processes.Thromb. Haemost. 1986; 56: 9-17
- Calibrated automated thrombin generation measurement in clotting plasma.Pathophysiol Haemos Thromb. 2003; 33: 4-15
- Consensus guidelines for periprocedural management of coagulation status and hemostasis risk in percutaneous image-guided interventions.JVIR. 2009; 20: S240-S249
- Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the bleeding academic research consortium.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2736-2747
- Practice guidelines for perioperative blood transfusion and adjuvant therapies: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Perioperative Blood Transfusion and Adjuvant Therapies.Anesthesiology. 2006; 105: 198-208
- Recommendations for the transfusion management of patients in the peri-operative period. III. The post-operative period.Blood Transfus. 2011; 9: 320-335
- Increased thrombin generation and fibrinogen level after therapeutic plasma transfusion: relation to bleeding.Thromb Haemost. 2008; 99: 64-70
- Transfusion guidelines: when to transfuse.Hematology. 2013; : 638-644
- How do we transfuse blood components in cirrhotic patients undergoing gastrointestinal procedures?.Transfusion. 2016; 56: 791-798
da Saúde do Brasil M. Guia para uso de Hemocomponentes. 2nd ed. (da Saúde do Brasil M, ed.). Brasilia; 2015. Available at: http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/publicacoes/guia_uso_hemocomponentes_2ed.pdf.
- Factors associated with prophylactic plasma transfusion before vascular catheterization in non-bleeding critically ill adults with prolonged prothrombin time: a case-control study.Br J Anaesth. 2012; 109: 919-927
- Utilization of frozen plasma in Ontario: a provincewide audit reveals a high rate of inappropriate transfusions.Transfusion. 2013; 53: 2222-2229
- Coagulation proteins influencing global coagulation assays in cirrhosis: hypercoagulability in cirrhosis assessed by thrombomodulin-induced thrombin generation assay.BioMed Res Int. 2013; 2013: 1-6
- Fresh frozen plasma transfusion fails to influence the hemostatic balance in critically ill patients with a coagulopathy.J Thromb Haemost. 2015; 13: 989-997
- Fresh frozen plasma reduces thrombin formation in newborn infants.J Thromb Haemost. 2003; 1: 1189-1194
- Bacterial infection in cirrhosis impairs coagulation by a heparin effect: a prospective study.J Hepatol. 2002; 37: 463-470
- Role of fresh frozen plasma infusion in correction of coagulopathy of chronic liver disease: a dual phase study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98: 1391-1394
- Abnormal hemostasis tests and bleeding in chronic liver disease: are they related? No.J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 721-723
- Toward rational fresh frozen plasma transfusion: the effect of plasma transfusion on coagulation test results.Am J Clin Pathol. 2006; 126: 133-139
- Liver biopsy.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1017-1044
- Correction of hemostatic abnormalities and portal pressure variations in patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2014; 60 (1442–1442)
- The portal pressure-blood volume relationship in cirrhosis.Gut. 1974; 15: 99-101
- Thrombin generation in patients with cirrhosis: the role of platelets.Hepatology. 2006; 44: 440-445
- Modified approach to fibrinogen replacement in the setting of dysfibrinogenaemia.J Clin Pathol. 2019; 72: 177-180
- Coagulation parameters and major bleeding in critically ill patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2016; 64: 556-568
- Ex vivo thrombin generation patterns in septic patients with and without disseminated intravascular coagulation.Thromb Res. 2015; 135: 192-197
National Institute of Health. Fresh-frozen plasma infusions to reduce risk of bleeding related to invasive procedures. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00233246.