- •RIPA-56 reduces hepatic inflammation and fibrosis in dietary obese mice.
- •RIPA-56 reverses steatosis and dampens body weight gain in obese mice.
- •RIPK1 regulates triglyceride content in hepatocytes by activating MLKL, which controls mitochondrial biomass and activity.
- •RIPK1 and MLKL are significantly increased in the serum of patients with NASH.
- •Targeting RIPK1/MLKL represents a promising strategy for NASH treatment.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global burden of NAFLD and NASH: trends, predictions, risk factors and prevention.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 15: 11-20
- Mechanisms of NAFLD development and therapeutic strategies.Nat Med. 2018; 24: 908-922
- Cell death and cell death responses in liver disease: mechanisms and clinical relevance.Gastroenterology. 2014; 147: 765-783.e4
- Regulated necrosis: the expanding network of non-apoptotic cell death pathways.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2014; 15: 135-147
- Caspase functions in cell death and disease.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2013; 5: a008656
- Necroptosis is a key pathogenic event in human and experimental murine models of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.Clin Sci (Lond). 2015; 129: 721-739
- A positive feedback loop between RIP3 and JNK controls non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.EMBO Mol Med. 2014; 6: 1062-1074
- Necroptosis in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 1: 264-265
- RIP kinases as modulators of inflammation and immunity.Nat Immunol. 2018; 19: 912-922
- RIP3 induces apoptosis independent of pronecrotic kinase activity.Mol Cell. 2014; 56: 481-495
- Necrostatin-1 analogues: critical issues on the specificity, activity and in vivo use in experimental disease models.Cell Death Dis. 2012; 3: e437
- Discovery of a highly potent, selective, and metabolically stable inhibitor of receptor-interacting protein 1 (RIP1) for the treatment of systemic inflammatory response syndrome.J Med Chem. 2017; 60: 972-986
- RIPK1-RIPK3-MLKL-dependent necrosis promotes the aging of mouse male reproductive system.Elife. 2017; 6https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.27692
- Utility and appropriateness of the fatty liver inhibition of progression (FLIP) algorithm and steatosis, activity, and fibrosis (SAF) score in the evaluation of biopsies of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 565-575
- Interleukin-4 induces human hepatocyte apoptosis through a Fas-independent pathway.FASEB J. 2007; 21: 1433-1444
- Inhibition of caspases increases the sensitivity of L929 cells to necrosis mediated by tumor necrosis factor.J Exp Med. 1998; 187: 1477-1485
- Lipid and glucose metabolism in hepatocyte cell lines and primary mouse hepatocytes: a comprehensive resource for in vitro studies of hepatic metabolism.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2019; 316: E578-E589
- RIPK3 promotes sepsis-induced acute kidney injury via mitochondrial dysfunction.JCI Insight. 2018; 3https://doi.org/10.1172/jci.insight.98411
- Necroptosis regulated proteins expression is an early prognostic biomarker in patient with sepsis: a prospective observational study.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 84066-84073
- RIPK3 in cell death and inflammation: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Immunol Rev. 2017; 277: 102-112
- Loss of RIP3 initiates annihilation of high-fat diet initialized nonalcoholic hepatosteatosis: a mechanism involving Toll-like receptor 4 and oxidative stress.Free Radic Biol Med. 2019; 134: 23-41
- The necroptosis-inducing kinase RIPK3 dampens adipose tissue inflammation and glucose intolerance.Nat Commun. 2016; 7: 11869
- Receptor interacting protein 3 protects mice from high-fat diet-induced liver injury.Hepatology. 2016; 64: 1518-1533
- Control of life-or-death decisions by RIP1 kinase.Annu Rev Physiol. 2014; 76: 129-150
- Phosphorylation-driven assembly of the RIP1-RIP3 complex regulates programmed necrosis and virus-induced inflammation.Cell. 2009; 137: 1112-1123
- Necrostatin-1 ameliorates peripheral nerve injury-induced neuropathic pain by inhibiting the RIP1/RIP3 pathway.Front Cell Neurosci. 2019; 13: 211
- Necrostatin-1 treatment inhibits osteocyte necroptosis and trabecular deterioration in ovariectomized rats.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 33803
- Necrostatin-1 reduces intestinal inflammation and colitis-associated tumorigenesis in mice.Am J Cancer Res. 2015; 5: 3174-3185
- RIPK1 inhibitor Cpd-71 attenuates renal dysfunction in cisplatin-treated mice via attenuating necroptosis, inflammation and oxidative stress.Clin Sci (Lond). 2019; 133: 1609-1627
- Adaptation of hepatic mitochondrial function in humans with non-alcoholic fatty liver is lost in steatohepatitis.Cell Metab. 2015; 21: 739-746
- Hepatic fat as clinical outcome and therapeutic target for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Liver Int. 2019; 39: 250-256
- The pseudokinase MLKL regulates hepatic insulin sensitivity independently of inflammation.Mol Metab. 2019; 23: 14-23
- Association of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease with insulin resistance.Am J Med. 1999; 107: 450-455
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship