- •Non-enhanced MRI consisted of diffusion-weighted and T2-weighted imaging.
- •Non-enhanced MRI showed significantly higher sensitivity and specificity than ultrasonography for HCC detection.
- •The estimated scan time of non-enhanced MRI was less than 6 min with a total of 25–35 min of room occupancy.
- •Given the good performance and lack of contrast agent-associated risks, non-enhanced MRI has potential for HCC surveillance.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis, staging, and management of hepatocellular carcinoma: 2018 Practice Guidance by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.Hepatology. 2018; 68: 723-750
- EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 182-236
- 2018 Korean Practice Guideline for the Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.Korean Liver Cancer Association, National Cancer Center, Seoul2018
- Meta-analysis: surveillance with ultrasound for early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 30: 37-47
- Surveillance imaging and alpha fetoprotein for early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis: a meta-analysis.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 1706-1718.e1
- MRI with liver-specific contrast for surveillance of patients with cirrhosis at high risk of hepatocellular carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 456-463
- Surveillance for hepatocellular cancer with ultrasonography vs. computed tomography – a randomised study.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013; 38: 303-312
- Hepatocellular carcinoma detection: diagnostic performance of a simulated abbreviated MRI protocol combining diffusion-weighted and T1-weighted imaging at the delayed phase post gadoxetic acid.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017; 42: 179-190
- Diagnostic per-patient accuracy of an abbreviated hepatobiliary phase gadoxetic acid-enhanced MRI for hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 204: 527-535
- Small hepatocellular carcinomas: improved sensitivity by combining gadoxetic acid-enhanced and diffusion-weighted MR imaging patterns.Radiology. 2012; 264: 761-770
- New MR imaging criteria with a diffusion-weighted sequence for the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic liver diseases.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 126-132
- Diagnostic per-lesion performance of a simulated gadoxetate disodium-enhanced abbreviated MRI protocol for hepatocellular carcinoma screening.Clin Radiol. 2018; 73: 485-493
- Computed tomography--an increasing source of radiation exposure.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 2277-2284
- Comparative 13-year meta-analysis of the sensitivity and positive predictive value of ultrasound, CT, and MRI for detecting hepatocellular carcinoma.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2016; 41: 71-90
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: diagnostic performance of multidetector CT and MR imaging-a systematic review and meta-analysis.Radiology. 2015; 275: 97-109
- Gadolinium-based contrast agent toxicity: a review of known and proposed mechanisms.Biometals. 2016; 29: 365-376
- Gadolinium retention after contrast-enhanced MRI.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1853-1854
- Noncontrast MRI with diffusion-weighted imaging as the sole imaging modality for detecting liver malignancy in patients with high risk for hepatocellular carcinoma.Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 32: 610-618
- The diagnostic performance of liver MRI without intravenous contrast for detecting hepatocellular carcinoma: a case-controlled feasibility study.Korean J Radiol. 2018; 19: 568-577
- Hypovascular hypointense nodules on hepatobiliary phase gadoxetic acid-enhanced MR images in patients with cirrhosis: potential of DW imaging in predicting progression to hypervascular HCC.Radiology. 2012; 265: 104-114
- Diffusion-weighted MRI provides additional value to conventional dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI for detection of hepatocellular carcinoma.Eur Radiol. 2009; 19: 2456-2466
- Prospective analysis of risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with liver cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2003; 37: 520-527
- CT/MRI LI-RADS® v2018 Core.(Available from:)https://www.acr.org/-/media/ACR/Files/RADS/LI-RADS/LI-RADS-2018-Core.pdf?la=enDate accessed: March 3, 2018
- Evaluation of early Stage hepatocellular carcinoma by magnetic resonance imaging with gadoxetic acid detects additional lesions and increases overall survival.Gastroenterology. 2015; 148: 1371-1382
- Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1020-1022
- Poor sensitivity of sonography in detection of hepatocellular carcinoma in advanced liver cirrhosis: accuracy of pretransplantation sonography in 118 patients.Eur Radiol. 2003; 13: 1693-1698
- Detection of hepatocellular carcinoma at advanced stages among patients in the HALT-C trial: where did surveillance fail?.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 425-432
- Factors that affect efficacy of ultrasound surveillance for early stage hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 12: 1927-1933.e2
- CT and MRI improve detection of hepatocellular carcinoma, compared with ultrasound alone, in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 9: 161-167
- The obese emergency patient: imaging challenges and solutions.Radiographics. 2011; 31: 811-823
- Management of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan as a world-leading model.Liver Cancer. 2018; 7: 134-147
- Cost-effectiveness of risk score-stratified hepatocellular carcinoma screening in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2017; 8: e101
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship