- •Patients of African origin who contract HDV less often have cirrhosis.
- •Patients with HDV and detectable viral load have worse clinical outcomes.
- •Patients with HDV genotype 5 less often develop hepatic decompensation.
- •Patients with HDV genotype 5 seem to respond better to peg-IFN treatment.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hepatitis delta virus.Lancet. 2011; 378: 73-85
- Hepatitis delta virus: insights into a peculiar pathogen and novel treatment options.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 13: 580-589
- Influence of hepatitis delta virus infection on morbidity and mortality in compensated cirrhosis type B. The European Concerted Action on Viral Hepatitis (Eurohep).Gut. 2000; 46: 420-426
- The adventure of delta.Liver Int. 2016; 36: 135-140
- Characterization of hepatitis delta virus in sub-Saharan Africa.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 1629-1636
- Hepatitis D virus infection–not a vanishing disease in Europe!.Hepatology. 2007; 45 (author reply 1332–1333): 1331-1332
- The increasing prevalence of hepatitis delta virus (HDV) infection in South London.J Med Virol. 2008; 80: 277-282
- A re-assessment of the epidemiology and patient characteristics of hepatitis D virus infection in inner city London.J Infect. 2013; 66: 521-527
- Epidemiology, pathogenesis and management of hepatitis D: update and challenges ahead.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 7: 31-40
- Anti-HDV IgM as a marker of disease activity in hepatitis delta.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e101002
- Molecular phylogenetic analyses indicate a wide and ancient radiation of African hepatitis delta virus, suggesting a deltavirus genus of at least seven major clades.J Virol. 2004; 78: 2537-2544
- Eighth major clade for hepatitis delta virus.Emerg Infect Dis. 2006; 12: 1447-1450
- Prevalence and genetic diversity of hepatitis B and delta viruses in pregnant women in Gabon: molecular evidence that hepatitis delta virus clade 8 originates from and is endemic in central Africa.J Clin Microbiol. 2008; 46: 754-756
- A genotype of hepatitis D virus that occurs in northern South America.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993; 90: 9016-9020
- Hepatitis delta virus mutant: effect on RNA editing.J Virol. 1995; 69: 7226-7231
- Genotypes and viremia of hepatitis B and D viruses are associated with outcomes of chronic hepatitis D patients.Gastroenterology. 2006; 130: 1625-1635
- Chronic hepatitis delta virus infection with genotype IIb variant is correlated with progressive liver disease.J Gen Virol. 2003; 84: 3275-3289
- Efficacy of peginterferon alpha-2b in chronic hepatitis delta: relevance of quantitative RT-PCR for follow-up.Hepatology. 2006; 44: 728-735
- Treatment of chronic hepatitis delta with pegylated interferon-alpha2b.Liver Int. 2006; 26: 805-810
- Peginterferon plus adefovir versus either drug alone for hepatitis delta.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 322-331
- Interferon treatment duration in patients with chronic delta hepatitis and its effect on the natural course of the disease.J Infect Dis. 2018; 217: 1184-1192
- Development and validation of an efficient in-house real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction assay for the quantitative detection of serum hepatitis delta virus RNA in a diverse South London population.J Virol Methods. 2012; 184: 55-62
- Virological and clinical characteristics of delta hepatitis in Central Europe.J Viral Hepat. 2009; 16: 883-894
- A 28-year study of the course of hepatitis Delta infection: a risk factor for cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2009; 136: 1629-1638
- Clinical outcome of acute and chronic hepatitis delta over time: a long-term follow-up study.J Viral Hepat. 2011; 18: 434-442
- High prevalence and predominance of hepatitis delta virus genotype 1 infection in Cameroon.J Clin Microbiol. 2011; 49: 1162-1164
- Virological and epidemiological features of hepatitis delta infection among blood donors in Nouakchott, Mauritania.J Clin Virol. 2012; 55: 12-16
- Hepatitis B and Delta virus are prevalent but often subclinical coinfections among HIV infected patients in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa: a cross-sectional study.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e99971
- Outcome of chronic delta hepatitis in Italy: a long-term cohort study.J Hepatol. 2010; 53: 834-840
- Antiviral treatment and liver-related complications in hepatitis delta.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 414-425
- Initiation of RNA replication of cloned Taiwan-3 isolate of hepatitis delta virus genotype II in cultured cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003; 306: 966-972
- Chemotherapy-induced hepatitis B reactivation in lymphoma patients with resolved HBV infection: a prospective study.Hepatology. 2014; 59: 2092-2100
- Pegylated interferon alpha-2b as monotherapy or in combination with ribavirin in chronic hepatitis delta.Hepatology. 2006; 44: 713-720
- Late HDV RNA relapse after peginterferon alpha-based therapy of chronic hepatitis delta.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 87-97
- Two-year interferon therapy with or without ribavirin in chronic delta hepatitis.Antivir Ther. 2005; 10: 721-726
- Treatment of chronic delta hepatitis with lamivudine vs lamivudine + interferon vs interferon.J Viral Hepat. 2008; 15: 314-321
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship