- •The prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) has nearly tripled over the past decade.
- •Maternal and perinatal complications are more common in mothers with NAFLD than in those with other liver diseases.
- •NAFLD in pregnancy is independently associated with adverse maternal and perinatal outcomes.
- •Women with NAFLD warrant pre-conception counseling, and may benefit from high-risk obstetrics management during pregnancy.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis is the fastest growing cause of hepatocellular carcinoma in liver transplant candidates.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 17: 748-755.e3
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease incidence and impact on metabolic burden and death: a 20 year-community study.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 1726-1736
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis is the most rapidly increasing indication for liver transplantation in young adults in the United States.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2018; 52: 339-346
- NASH leading cause of liver transplant in women: updated analysis of indications for liver transplant and ethnic and gender variances.Am J Gastroenterol. 2018; 113: 1649-1659
- The diagnosis and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: practice guidance from the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 328-357
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Percentage of gestational diabetes mellitus attributable to overweight and obesity.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 1047-1052
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP).Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2018 (Available at:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jspDate accessed: January 1, 2020
- HELLP syndrome: understanding and management of a pregnancy-specific disease.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013; 33: 331-337
- Hospitalizations Related to Diabetes in Pregnancy, 2008: Statistical Brief #102.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs, Rockville (MD)2006
- Delivery Hospitalizations Involving Preeclampsia and Eclampsia, 2005-2014: Statistical Brief #222.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs, Rockville (MD)2006
- https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/trendwghts.jspDate accessed: January 1, 2020
- Using the HCUP National Inpatient Sample to Estimate Trends.U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2016
- Gestational diabetes mellitus is strongly associated with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016; 111: 658-664
- Gestational diabetes mellitus.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2019; 5: 47
- Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in young individuals.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2018; 15: 230-240
- Gestational diabetes in the United States: temporal changes in prevalence rates between 1979 and 2010.BJOG. 2017; 124: 804-813
- Pre-eclampsia: pathogenesis, novel diagnostics and therapies.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2019; 15: 275-289
- Alternative M2 activation of Kupffer cells by PPARdelta ameliorates obesity-induced insulin resistance.Cell Metab. 2008; 7: 496-507
- Link between the renin–angiotensin system and insulin resistance: implications for cardiovascular disease.Vasc Med. 2012; 17: 330-341
- Adverse outcomes of pregnancy in women with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Liver Int. 2016; 36: 268-274
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is a risk factor for large-for-gestational-age birthweight.PLoS One. 2019; 14: e0221400
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and pregnancy complications among Sri Lankan women: a cross sectional analytical study.PLoS One. 2019; 14: e0215326
- Effect of insulin on fat metabolism during and after normal pregnancy.Diabetes. 1999; 48: 834-838
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the first trimester and subsequent development of gestational diabetes mellitus.Diabetologia. 2019; 62: 238-248
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in early pregnancy predicts dysglycemia in mid-pregnancy: prospective study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016; 111: 665-670
- Parental non-alcoholic fatty liver disease increases risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in offspring.Liver Int. 2019; 39: 740-747
- Sex differences between parental pregnancy characteristics and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in adolescents.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 108-122
- The influence of maternal body mass index on infant adiposity and hepatic lipid content.Pediatr Res. 2011; 70: 287-291
- Intrahepatic fat is increased in the neonatal offspring of obese women with gestational diabetes.J Pediatr. 2013; 162: 930-936.e1
- Adiposity and hepatic lipid in healthy full-term, breastfed, and formula-fed human infants: a prospective short-term longitudinal cohort study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1034-1040
- Hepatic steatosis is prevalent in stillborns delivered to women with diabetes mellitus.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2015; 60: 152-158
- The progression and natural history of pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Clin Liver Dis. 2016; 20: 325-338
- Adherence to methodological standards in research using the national inpatient sample.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2011-2018
- Global burden of NAFLD and NASH: trends, predictions, risk factors and prevention.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 15: 11-20
- Practice Bulletin No. 183: postpartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: e168-e186
- Green-top Guideline No. 52.BJOG. 2017; 124: e106-e149