- •Multi-generational maternal exposure to high-fat diet causes increased incidence of DEN-induced HCC in offspring.
- •Gradually downregulated Acsl1 and Aldh2 are found in the offspring over generations, which promote tumor growth in synergy.
- •miR-27a-3p negatively regulates Acsl1 and Aldh2 in mouse and human HCC samples.
- •Increased serum miR-27a-3p is found in mothers fed a high-fat diet.
- •Offspring of miR-27a-3p agomir-injected mothers show increased HCC susceptibility.
Background & Aims
Obesity is an independent risk factor for malignancies, including hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). However, it remains unknown whether maternal obesity affects the incidence of HCC in offspring. Thus, we aimed to investigate this association and its underlying mechanisms.
Diethylnitrosamine (DEN) was used to induce HCC in a high-fat diet (HFD)-induced multigenerational obesity model. RNA-sequencing was performed to identify the genes and microRNAs (miRNAs) that were altered over generations. The role of the miR-27a-3p-Acsl1/Aldh2 axis in HCC was evaluated in cell lines and HCC-bearing nude mice, and its intergenerational impact was studied in pregnant mice and their offspring.
Under HFD stress, maternal obesity caused susceptibility of offspring to DEN-induced HCC, and such susceptibility was cumulative over generations. We identified that Acsl1 and Aldh2, direct targets of miR-27a-3p, were gradually changed over generations. Under hyperlipidemic conditions, downregulation of Acsl1 and Aldh2 increased cell proliferation (in vitro) or tumor growth (in vivo) in synergy. Intratumor injection of an miR-27a-3p agomir exacerbated tumor growth by downregulating Acsl1 and Aldh2; while intratumor injection of an miR-27a-3p antagomir had the opposite effect. Moreover, serum miR-27a-3p levels gradually increased in the HFD-fed maternal lineage over generations. Injecting pregnant mice with an miR-27a-3p agomir not only upregulated hepatic miR-27a-3p and downregulated Acsl1/Aldh2 in offspring (fetus, young and adult stages), but also exacerbated HCC development in DEN-treated offspring. In human HCC, upregulated miR-27a-3p and downregulated Acsl1/Aldh2 were negatively correlated with survival on TCGA analysis; while, hepatic miR-27a-3p was negatively correlated with Acsl1/Aldh2 expression in tumor/non-tumor tissues from fatty/non-fatty livers.
Maternal obesity plays a role in regulating cumulative susceptibility to HCC development in offspring over multiple generations through the miR-27a-3p-Acsl1/Aldh2 axis.
It is not currently known how maternal obesity affects the incidence of liver cancer in offspring. In this study, we identified a microRNA (miR-27a-3p) that was upregulated in obese mothers and could be passed on to their offspring. This microRNA enhanced the risk of liver cancer in offspring by regulating 2 genes (Acsl1 and Aldh2). This mechanism could be a future therapeutic target.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Overweight, obesity and cancer: epidemiological evidence and proposed mechanisms.Nat Rev Cancer. 2004; 4: 579-591
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and cancer.Clin Liver Dis. 2007; 11: 191-207
- Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 1625-1638
- Metabolic syndrome and hepatocellular carcinoma: two growing epidemics with a potential link.Cancer. 2009; 115: 5651-5661
- The risk of maternal obesity to the long-term health of the offspring.Clin Endocrinol. 2013; 78: 9-16
- The short- and long-term implications of maternal obesity on the mother and her offspring.BJOG. 2006; 113: 1126-1133
- Transgenerational endocrine pancreatic adaptation in mice from maternal protein restriction in utero.Mech Ageing Dev. 2011; 132: 110-116
- Accumulation of endoplasmic reticulum stress and lipogenesis in the liver through generational effects of high fat diets.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 900-907
- Interplay of early-life nutritional programming on obesity, inflammation and epigenetic outcomes.Proc Nutr Soc. 2012; 71: 276-283
- Transgenerational genetic effects.Epigenomics. 2010; 2: 797-806
- Small non-coding RNAs transfer through mammalian placenta and directly regulate fetal gene expression.Protein Cell. 2015; 6: 391-396
- Roles of microRNA across prenatal and postnatal periods.Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 17: E1994
- DNA hypomethylation of inflammation-associated genes in adipose tissue of female mice after multigenerational high fat diet feeding.Int J Obes. 2014; 38: 198-204
- Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase promotes liver tumorigenesis by modulating phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase.Hepatology. 2017; 66: 631-645
- Histone demethylase UTX is a therapeutic target for diabetic kidney disease.J Physiol. 2019; 597: 1643-1660
- Histone methyltransferase G9a protects against acute liver injury through GSTP1.Cell Death Differ. 2020; 27: 1243-1258
- Reducing protein regulator of cytokinesis 1 as a prospective therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma.Cell Death Dis. 2018; 9: 534
- Histone HIST1H1C/H1.2 regulates autophagy in the development of diabetic retinopathy.Autophagy. 2017; 13: 941-954
- ANGPTL8 negatively regulates NF-kappaB activation by facilitating selective autophagic degradation of IKKgamma.Nat Commun. 2017; 8: 2164
- MPHOSPH1: a potential therapeutic target for hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer Res. 2014; 74: 6623-6634
- ELABELA and an ELABELA fragment protect against AKI.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 28: 2694-2707
- Histone methyltransferase G9a modulates hepatic insulin signaling via regulating HMGA1.Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2018; 1864: 338-346
- Comprehensive characterization of the rRNA metabolism-related genes in human cancer.Oncogene. 2020; 39: 786-800
- Decreased expression of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase associates with glucose metabolism and tumor progression in hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer Res. 2016; 76: 3265-3276
- A switch from white to brown fat increases energy expenditure in cancer-associated cachexia.Cell Metab. 2014; 20: 433-447
- Hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1118-1127
- Controversies regarding and perspectives on clinical utility of biomarkers in hepatocellular carcinoma.World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 262-274
- Dietary and genetic obesity promote liver inflammation and tumorigenesis by enhancing IL-6 and TNF expression.Cell. 2010; 140: 197-208
- miRNA-mRNA interaction network in non-small cell lung cancer.Interdiscip Sci Comput Life Sci. 2016; 8: 209-219
- Yi Chuan. 2012; 34: 651-658
- MicroRNAs in hepatocellular carcinoma: regulation, function, and clinical implications.Scientific World J. 2013; 2013: 924206
- MicroRNA expression profiles classify human cancers.Nature. 2005; 435: 834-838
- MiR-27a-3p functions as an oncogene in gastric cancer by targeting BTG2.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 51943-51954
- MicroRNA-27a promotes proliferation and suppresses apoptosis by targeting PLK2 in laryngeal carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2014; 14: 678
- Dysregulated miR-27a-3p promotes nasopharyngeal carcinoma cell proliferation and migration by targeting Mapk10.Oncol Rep. 2017; 37: 2679-2687
- Secreted monocytic miR-150 enhances targeted endothelial cell migration.Mol Cell. 2010; 39: 133-144
- Second trimester extracellular microRNAs in maternal blood and fetal growth: an exploratory study.Epigenetics. 2017; 12: 804-810
- Liver-specific loss of long chain acyl-CoA synthetase-1 decreases triacylglycerol synthesis and beta-oxidation and alters phospholipid fatty acid composition.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 27816-27826
- Aldehyde dehydrogenases and cell proliferation.Free Radic Biol Med. 2012; 52: 735-746
- Aldehyde dehydrogenase-2 (ALDH2) opposes hepatocellular carcinoma progression by regulating AMP-activated protein kinase signaling in mice.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 1628-1644
- Network-based stratification analysis of 13 major cancer types using mutations in panels of cancer genes.BMC Genomics. 2015; 16: S7
- Targeting tumor suppressor networks for cancer therapeutics.Curr Drug Targets. 2014; 15: 2-16
- Regulation of cancer metabolism by oncogenes and tumor suppressors.Methods Enzymol. 2014; 542: 59-80
Published online: June 25, 2020
Accepted: March 20, 2020
Received in revised form: March 19, 2020
Received: October 11, 2019
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship
© 2020 European Association for the Study of the Liver. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.