- •Among patients with cirrhosis and bacterial infections, 48% have bacterial infection related-ACLF.
- •ACLF following bacterial infection occurs most commonly in the Indian subcontinent and less so in Southern Europe.
- •ACLF occurs more frequently following spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, pneumonia, and nosocomial infections.
- •Patients with ACLF have lower infection resolution rate and higher mortality rate.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Bacterial infections in cirrhosis: a position statement based on the EASL Special Conference 2013.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 1310-1324
- Infections in patients with cirrhosis increase mortality four-fold and should be used in determining prognosis.Gastroenterology. 2010; 139: 1246-1256.e5
- Infections complicating cirrhosis.Liver Int. 2018; 38: 126-133
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure is a distinct syndrome that develops in patients with acute decompensation of cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144: 1426-1437.e9
- Survival in infection-related acute-on-chronic liver failure is defined by extrahepatic organ failures.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 250-256
- Epidemiology and effects of bacterial infections in patients with cirrhosis worldwide.Gastroenterology. 2019; 156: 1368-1380.e10
- Hepatic encephalopathy in chronic liver disease: 2014 practice guideline by the European Association for the Study of the Liver and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.J Hepatol. 2014; 61: 642-659
- Development and validation of a prognostic score to predict mortality in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure.J Hepatol. 2014; 61: 1038-1047
- NACSELD acute-on-chronic liver failure (NACSELD-ACLF) score predicts 30-day survival in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 2367-2374
- Health care and equity in India.Lancet. 2011; 377: 505-515
- Bacterial and fungal infections in acute-on-chronic liver failure: prevalence, characteristics and impact on prognosis.Gut. 2018; 67: 1870-1880
- Clinical course of acute-on-chronic liver failure syndrome and effects on prognosis.Hepatology. 2015; 62: 243-252
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship