- •Baseline serum albumin per se should not guide the decision to start albumin therapy.
- •1-month on-treatment serum albumin levels predict survival and can be used to guide therapy.
- •The serum albumin target threshold to be pursued is 4.0 g/dl.
- •Baseline serum albumin and MELD score predict the achievement of this target.
- •A survival benefit is seen even when on-treatment serum albumin does not normalize.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term albumin administration in decompensated cirrhosis (ANSWER): an open-label randomised trial.Lancet. 2018; 391: 2417-2429
- Midodrine and albumin for prevention of complications in patients with cirrhosis awaiting liver transplantation. A randomized placebo-controlled trial.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 1250-1259
- Long-term administration of human albumin improves survival in patients with cirrhosis and refractory ascites.Liver Int. 2019; 39: 98-105
- Effects of albumin treatment on systemic and portal hemodynamics and systemic inflammation in patients with decompensated cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2019; 157: 149-162
- Assessing the sensitivity of methods for estimating principal causal effects.Stat Methods Med Res. 2015; 24: 657-674
- Performance of principal scores to estimate the marginal compliers causal effect of an intervention.Stat Med. 2016; 35: 752-767
- The NICE cost-effectiveness threshold: what it is and what that means.Pharmacoeconomics. 2008; 26: 733-744
- Survival and prognostic factors of cirrhotic patients with ascites: a study of 134 outpatients.Am J Gastroenterol. 1993; 88: 514-519
- Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices.J Surg. 1973; 60: 646-649
- The effect of age on serum albumin in healthy males: report from the Normative Aging Study.J Gerontol. 1988; 43: M18-M20
- Posttranscriptional changes of serum albumin: clinical and prognostic significance in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 1851-1860
- Albumin: pathophysiologic basis of its role in the treatment of cirrhosis and its complications.Hepatology. 2013; 58: 1836-1846
- Post-hoc data analysis: benefits and limitations.Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 13: 223-224
- The predictive approaches to treatment effect heterogeneity (PATH) statement.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 172: 35-45
- Prognosis Research Strategy (PROGRESS) 3: prognostic model research.PLoS Med. 2013; 10: e1001381
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship