- •Rat HEV (HEV-C1) is antigenically distinct from human HEV genotypes.
- •Human HEV-based antigen and antibody assays may not diagnose HEV-C1 infection.
- •Prior exposure to human HEV genotypes is not protective against HEV-C1 infection.
- •An HEV-C1 peptide can be used for specific HEV-C1 serodiagnosis and vaccination.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Consensus proposals for classification of the family Hepeviridae.J Gen Virol. 2014; 95: 2223-2232
- Hepatitis E virus genotypes and evolution: emergence of camel hepatitis E variants.Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18
- Hepatitis E virus infection: circulation, molecular epidemiology, and impact on global Health.Pathogens. 2020; 9
- Hepatitis E virus and chronic hepatitis in organ-transplant recipients.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 811-817
- Genotype 4 hepatitis E virus is a cause of chronic hepatitis in renal transplant recipients in Hong Kong.J Viral Hepat. 2018; 25: 209-213https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.12799
- Long-term efficacy of a hepatitis E vaccine.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 914-922
- Orthohepevirus C: An expanding species of emerging hepatitis E virus variants.Pathogens. 2020; 9
- Hepatitis E virus in rats, Los Angeles, California, USA.Emerg Infect Dis. 2011; 17: 2216-2222
- Serological evidence of infection with rodent-borne hepatitis E virus HEV-C1 or antigenically related virus in humans.J Vet Med Sci. 2016; 78: 1677-1681
- Seroprevalence study in forestry workers from eastern Germany using novel genotype 3- and rat hepatitis E virus-specific immunoglobulin G ELISAs.Med Microbiol Immunol. 2012; 201: 189-200
- Rat hepatitis E virus as cause of persistent hepatitis after liver transplant.Emerging Infect Dis. 2018; 24: 2241-2250
- Rat hepatitis E virus linked to severe acute hepatitis in an immunocompetent patient.J Infect Dis. 2019; 220: 951-955https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jiz025
- Transmission of rat hepatitis E virus infection to humans in Hong Kong: a clinical and epidemiological analysis.Hepatology (Baltimore, Md). 2021; 73: 10-22
- Clustal W and clustal X version 2.0.Bioinformatics. 2007; 23: 2947-2948
- A comprehensive study of neutralizing antigenic sites on the hepatitis E virus (HEV) capsid by constructing, clustering, and characterizing a tool box.J Biol Chem. 2015; 290: 19910-19922
- Structural basis for the neutralization of hepatitis E virus by a cross-genotype antibody.Cell Res. 2015; 25: 604-620
- A valuable antigen detection method for diagnosis of acute hepatitis E.J Clin Microbiol. 2015; 53: 782-788
- Hepatitis E virus: neutralizing sites, diagnosis, and protective immunity.Rev Med Virol. 2012; 22: 339-349
- A bacterially expressed particulate hepatitis E vaccine: antigenicity, immunogenicity and protectivity on primates.Vaccine. 2005; 23: 2893-2901
- A rat model for hepatitis E virus.Dis Model Mech. 2016; 9: 1203-1210
- Characterization and epitope mapping of monoclonal antibodies raised against rat hepatitis E virus capsid protein: an evaluation of their neutralizing activity in a cell culture system.J Virol Methods. 2016; 233: 78-88
- Hepatitis E virus infection in Hong Kong blood donors.Vox Sang. 2020; 115: 11-17
- Rat hepatitis E virus derived from wild rats (Rattus rattus) propagates efficiently in human hepatoma cell lines.Virus Res. 2014; 185: 92-102
- Assessment of the cross-protective capability of recombinant capsid proteins derived from pig, rat, and avian hepatitis E viruses (HEV) against challenge with a genotype 3 HEV in pigs.Vaccine. 2012; 30: 6249-6255
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship