Canalicular bile secretion
- Beuers U.
- Bilzer M.
- Chittattu A.
- Kullak-Ublick G.A.
- Keppler D.
- Paumgartner G.
- et al.
Cholangiocyte bile secretion
Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP; SLC10A1)
- Slijepcevic D.
- Roscam Abbing R.L.P.
- Katafuchi T.
- Blank A.
- Donkers J.M.
- van Hoppe S.
- et al.
- Qiu J.W.
- Deng M.
- Cheng Y.
- Atif R.M.
- Lin W.X.
- Guo L.
- et al.
Organic anion-transporting polypeptides (OATPs, SLCOs)
Organic solute transporter-alpha and beta (SLC51A and SLC51B)
Recent studies of OSTα-OSTβ function
Organic cation transporter 1 (OCT1, SLC22A1)
Bile salt export pump (ABCB11)
The multidrug resistance transporter 3 (MDR3, ABCB4)
- de Vries E.
- Mazzetti M.
- Takkenberg B.
- Mostafavi N.
- Bikker H.
- Marzioni M.
- et al.
The multidrug resistance protein 2 (MRP2, ABCC2)
Conclusions and future directions
|NTCP||p.S267F||Decreased susceptibility to HBV and HBV-related HCC|
|NTCP||p.S267F, p.I88T||Indirect hyperbilirubinemia, hypercholanaemia|
Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP) deficiency: identification of a novel SLC10A1 mutation in two unrelated infants presenting with neonatal indirect hyperbilirubinemia and remarkable hypercholanemia.
Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 106598-106607
|OSTα/OSTβ||p.F27fs||Chronic diarrhoea and steatorrhoea, cholestasis|
|OSTα/OSTβ||p.Q186||Cholestasis, congenital diarrhoea|
|OCT1||Multiple polymorphisms||Increased cholesterol, LDL and triglyceride levels|
|MDR3||Multiple||PFIC3, Cholelithiasis, ICP, progressive cholangiopathy|
Conflict of interest
- Multimedia component 1
- Mechanics of bile secretion: effect of perfusion pressure and temperature on bile flow and secretion pressure.Am J Physiol. 1954; 177: 103-112
- Secretion of organic anions in the formation of urine and bile.Pharmacol Rev. 1959; 11: 109-134
- Role of bile ducts during secretin choleresis in dogs.Am J Physiol. 1966; 210: 1153-1159
- Canalicular bile flow and bile secretory pressure: evidence for a non-bile salt dependent fraction in the isolated perfused rat liver.Gastro. 1970; 59: 853-859
- Cytochemical localization of Na+,K+-ATPase in the rat hepatocyte.J Clin Invest. 1978; 62: 1104-1108
- Nrf2-dependent and -independent induction of ABC transporters ABCC1, ABCC2, and ABCG2 in HepG2 cells under oxidative stress.J Exp Ther Oncol. 2007; 6: 335-348
- ATP-dependent transport of taurocholate across the hepatocyte canalicular membrane mediated by a 110-kDa glycoprotein binding ATP and bile salt.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 18920-18926
- Rat liver canalicular membrane vesicles containing an ATP-dependent bile acid transport system.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 1991; 88: 6590-6594
- ATP-dependent bile-salt transport in canalicular rat liver plasma-membrane vesicles.Biochem J. 1992; 284: 67-74
- Isolated rat hepatocyte couplets: a primary secretory unit for electrophysiologic studies of bile secretory function.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1984; 81: 6516-6520
- Isolation of small polarized bile duct units.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 1995; 92: 6527-6531
- Bile formation and secretion.Compr Physiol. 2013; 3: 1035-1078
- Regulation of bile secretion by calcium signaling in health and disease.Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2018; 1865: 1761-1770
- Claudin 2 deficiency reduces bile flow and increases susceptibility to cholesterol gallstone disease in mice.Gastroenterology. 2014; 147 (e1110): 1134-1145
- Heterogeneity in expression and subcellular localization of claudins 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the rat liver, pancreas, and gut.Gastroenterology. 2001; 120: 411-422
- The hepatobiliary paracellular pathway: a paradigm revisited.Gastroenterology. 2014; 147: 965-968
- Hepatic bile formation: canalicular osmolarity and paracellular and transcellular water flow.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2019; 371: 713-717
- A predictive 3D multi-scale model of biliary fluid dynamics in the liver lobule.Cell Syst. 2017; 4 (e279): 277-290
- Contractility of bile canaliculi, implications of liver functions.Science. 1981; 212: 1041-1042
- Motility of bile canaliculi in the living animal: implications for bile flow.J Cell Biol. 1991; 113: 1069-1080
- Intravital dynamic and correlative imaging reveals diffusion-dominated canalicular and flow-augmented ductular bile flux.Hepatology. 2020;
- Effects of chronic choleretic infusions of bile acids on the membrane of the bile canaliculus.Lab Invest. 1977; 36: 259-267
- Bile acid stimulates hepatocyte polarization through a cAMP-Epac-MEK-LKB1-AMPK pathway.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 1403-1408
- Bile canaliculi remodeling activates YAP via the actin cytoskeleton during liver regeneration.Mol Syst Biol. 2020; 16e8985
- Tauroursodesoxycholate-induced choleresis involves p38(MAPK) activation and translocation of the bile salt export pump in rats.Gastroenterology. 2001; 121: 407-419
- Tauroursodeoxycholic acid inserts the apical conjugate export pump, Mrp2, into canalicular membranes and stimulates organic anion secretion by protein kinase C-dependent mechanisms in cholestatic rat liver.Hepatology. 2001; 33: 1206-1216
- α5 β1-integrins are sensors for tauroursodeoxycholic acid in hepatocytes.Hepatology. 2013; 57: 1117-1129
- Therapeutic mechanisms of bile acids and nor-ursodeoxycholic acid in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Dig Dis. 2017; 35: 282-287
- Evidence for functional selectivity in TUDC- and norUDCA-induced signal transduction via α(5)β(1) integrin towards choleresis.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 5795
- Cyclic AMP regulates bicarbonate secretion in cholangiocytes through release of ATP into bile.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 1592-1602
- Extracellular nucleotides stimulate Cl- currents in biliary epithelia through receptor-mediated IP3 and Ca2+ release.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008; 295: G1004-G1015
- Bile acids stimulate cholangiocyte fluid secretion by activation of transmembrane member 16A Cl(-) channels.Hepatology. 2018; 68: 187-199
- Nuclear factor, erythroid 2-like 2 regulates expression of type 3 inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor and calcium signaling in cholangiocytes.Gastroenterology. 2015; 149 (e210): 211-222
- Post-translational regulation of the type III inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor by miRNA-506.J Biol Chem. 2015; 290: 184-196
- Up-regulation of microRNA 506 leads to decreased Cl-/HCO3- anion exchanger 2 expression in biliary epithelium of patients with primary biliary cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2012; 56: 687-697
- Secretin stimulates biliary cell proliferation by regulating expression of microRNA 125b and microRNA let7a in mice.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 1795-1808
- Calcium signaling in cholangiocytes: methods, mechanisms, and effects.Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19
- Bile acids go nuclear!.Hepatology. 1999; 30: 1107-1109
- Nuclear receptor ligands: rational and effective therapy for chronic cholestatic liver disease?.Gastroenterology. 2005; 129: 735-740
- Trauner M Bile acid transporteres and regulatory nuclear receptors in the liver and beyond.J Hepatol. 2013; 58: 155-168
- Hepatitis B and D viruses exploit sodium taurocholate co-transporting polypeptide for species-specific entry into hepatocytes.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 1070-1083
- Fine mapping of pre-S sequence requirements for hepatitis B virus large envelope protein-mediated receptor interaction.J Virol. 2010; 84: 1989-2000
- First-in-human application of the novel hepatitis B and hepatitis D virus entry inhibitor myrcludex B.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 483-489
- Hepatic uptake of conjugated bile acids is mediated by both sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide and organic anion transporting polypeptides and modulated by intestinal sensing of plasma bile acid levels in mice.Hepatology. 2017; 66: 1631-1643
- Na(+) -taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide inhibition has hepatoprotective effects in cholestasis in mice.Hepatology. 2018; 68: 1057-1069
- Mechanistic insights into the inhibition of NTCP by myrcludex B.JHEP Rep. 2019; 1: 278-285
- NTCP S267F variant associates with decreased susceptibility to HBV and HDV infection and decelerated progression of related liver diseases.Int J Infect Dis. 2019; 80: 147-152
- Genetic variations of NTCP are associated with susceptibility to HBV infection and related hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 105407-105424
- In vitro functional characterization and in silico prediction of rare genetic variation in the bile acid and drug transporter, Na(+)-Taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP, SLC10A1).Mol Pharm. 2020; 17: 1170-1181
- Increased sulfation of bile acids in mice and human subjects with sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide deficiency.J Biol Chem. 2019; 294: 11853-11862
- Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (SLC10A1) deficiency: conjugated hypercholanemia without a clear clinical phenotype.Hepatology. 2015; 61: 260-267
- Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP) deficiency: identification of a novel SLC10A1 mutation in two unrelated infants presenting with neonatal indirect hyperbilirubinemia and remarkable hypercholanemia.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 106598-106607
- Clinical and molecular characterization of four patients with NTCP deficiency from two unrelated families harboring the novel SLC10A1 variant c.595A>C (p.Ser199Arg).Mol Med Rep. 2019; 20: 4915-4924
- Ontogeny of human hepatic and intestinal transporter gene expression during childhood: age matters.Drug Metab Dispos. 2014; 42: 1268-1274
- Impaired uptake of conjugated bile acids and hepatitis b virus pres1-binding in na(+) -taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide knockout mice.Hepatology. 2015; 62: 207-219
- NTCP deficiency in mice protects against obesity and hepatosteatosis.JCI Insight. 2019; 5
- The bile acid chenodeoxycholic acid increases human Brown adipose tissue activity.Cell Metab. 2015; 22: 418-426
- Transporters and drug-drug interactions: important determinants of drug disposition and effects.Pharmacol Rev. 2013; 65: 944-966
- Organic anion transporting polypeptides: emerging roles in cancer pharmacology.Mol Pharmacol. 2019; 95: 490-506
- The SLCO (former SLC21) superfamily of transporters.Mol aspects Med. 2013; 34: 396-412
- Membrane transporters for bilirubin and its conjugates: a systematic review.Front Pharmacol. 2017; 8: 887
- Organic anion-transporting polypeptides.Curr Top Membr. 2014; 73: 205-232
- LST-3TM12 is a member of the OATP1B family and a functional transporter.Biochem Pharmacol. 2018; 148: 75-87
- OATP1B3-1B7, a novel organic anion transporting polypeptide, is modulated by FXR ligands and transports bile acids.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2019; 317: G751-G762
- Solute carrier organic anion transporter family member 3A1 is a bile acid efflux transporter in cholestasis.Gastroenterology. 2018; 155 (e1516): 1578-1592
- Expression cloning of two genes that together mediate organic solute and steroid transport in the liver of a marine vertebrate.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 9431-9436
- The heteromeric organic solute transporter alpha-beta, Osta-Ostb, is an ileal basolateral bile acid transporter.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 6960-6968
- Novel insights into the organic solute transporter alpha/beta, OSTα/β: from the bench to the bedside.Pharmacol Ther. 2020; 211: 107542
- N-Glycosylation of the alpha subunit does not influence trafficking or functional activity of the human organic solute transporter alpha/beta.BMC Cell Biol. 2008; 9: 57
- A novel di-leucine motif at the N-terminus of human organic solute transporter beta is essential for protein association and membrane localization.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0158269
- Upregulation of a basolateral FXR-dependent bile acid efflux transporter OSTalpha-OSTbeta in cholestasis in humans and rodents.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006; 290: G1124-G1130
- Basolateral efflux transporters: a potentially important pathway for the prevention of cholestatic hepatotoxicity.Appl Vitro Toxicol. 2016; 2: 207-216
- Organic solute transporter OSTα/β is overexpressed in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and modulated by drugs associated with liver injury.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2018; 314: G597-G609
- Novel in vitro method reveals drugs that inhibit organic solute transporter alpha/beta (OSTα/β).Mol Pharm. 2019; 16: 238-246
- A novel RARα/CAR-mediated mechanism for regulation of human organic solute transporter-β gene expression.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014; 306: G154-G162
- The organic solute transporters alpha and beta are induced by hypoxia in human hepatocytes.Liver Int. 2015; 35: 1152-1161
- Hypoxia-induced changes in the expression of rat hepatobiliary transporter genes.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007; 293: G25-G35
- Organic solute transporter-β (SLC51B) deficiency in two brothers with congenital diarrhea and features of cholestasis.Hepatology. 2018; 68: 590-598
- Organic solute transporter alpha deficiency: a disorder with cholestasis, liver fibrosis, and congenital diarrhea.Hepatology. 2020; 71: 1879-1882
- Organic solute transporter α-β protects ileal enterocytes from bile acid-induced injury.Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 5: 499-522
- Expression of organic cation transporter 1 (OCT1): unique patterns of indirect regulation by nuclear receptors and hepatospecific gene regulation.Drug Metab Rev. 2016; 48: 139-158
- Genetic polymorphisms of organic cation transporter 1 (OCT1) and responses to metformin therapy in individuals with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review.Medicine (Baltimore). 2018; 97e11349
- Global genetic analyses reveal strong inter-ethnic variability in the loss of activity of the organic cation transporter OCT1.Genome Med. 2015; 7: 56
- The human organic cation transporter OCT1 mediates high affinity uptake of the anticancer drug daunorubicin.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 20508
- Role of OCT1 in hepatocellular carcinoma.Onco Targets Ther. 2019; 12: 6013-6022
- Down-regulation of the organic cation transporter 1 of rat liver in obstructive cholestasis.Hepatology. 2004; 39: 1382-1389
- Expression of organic cation transporters OCT1 (SLC22A1) and OCT3 (SLC22A3) is affected by genetic factors and cholestasis in human liver.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 1227-1240
- OCT1 is a high-capacity thiamine transporter that regulates hepatic steatosis and is a target of metformin.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 9983-9988
- Organic cation transporter 1 (OCT1) modulates multiple cardiometabolic traits through effects on hepatic thiamine content.Plos Biol. 2018; 16e2002907
- Biosynthesis and trafficking of the bile salt export pump, BSEP: therapeutic implications of BSEP mutations.Mol aspects Med. 2014; 37: 3-14
- Analysis of the bile salt export pump (ABCB11) interactome employing complementary approaches.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0159778
- Bile salt export pump is dysregulated with altered farnesoid X receptor isoform expression in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatology. 2013; 57: 1530-1541
- Mechanistic insights into isoform-dependent and species-specific regulation of bile salt export pump by farnesoid X receptor.J Lipid Res. 2013; 54: 3030-3044
- Genotype correlates with the natural history of severe bile salt export pump deficiency.J Hepatol. 2020; 73: 84-93
- FXR isoforms control different metabolic functions in liver cells via binding to specific DNA motifs.Gastroenterology. 2020; 159 (e1810): 1853-1865
- Obeticholic acid improves hepatic bile acid excretion in patients with primary biliary cholangitis.J Hepatol. 2021; 74: 58-65
- Obeticholic acid may increase the risk of gallstone formation in susceptible patients.J Hepatol. 2019; 71: 986-991
- Variants in ABCB4 (MDR3) across the spectrum of cholestatic liver diseases in adults.J Hepatol. 2020; 73: 651-663
- Carriers of ABCB4 gene variants show a mild clinical course, but impaired quality of life and limited risk for cholangiocarcinoma.Liver Int. 2020 Sep 7; https://doi.org/10.1111/liv.14662
- Phenotypic spectrum and diagnostic pitfalls of ABCB4 deficiency depending on age of onset.Hepatol Commun. 2018; 2: 504-514
- A functional classification of ABCB4 variations causing progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis type 3.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 1620-1631
- Hydrophilic bile acids prevent liver damage caused by lack of biliary phospholipid in Mdr2(-/-) mice.J Lipid Res. 2019; 60: 85-97
- Elevated hepatic MRP3/ABCC3 expression in human obstructive cholestasis is mediated through TNFalpha and JNK/SAPK signaling pathway.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 1485-1494