- •Adherence to monitoring/surveillance for liver complications was assessed in patients with cirrhosis.
- •Adherence rates for HCC surveillance (8.78%), laboratory testing (29.72%) and EV surveillance (10.6%) were disappointing.
- •Adherence rates did improve in more recent years.
- •Age, insurance plan, being followed up by specialist, severity of cirrhosis, and comorbidities were linked to adherence.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Natural history and prognostic indicators of survival in cirrhosis: a systematic review of 118 studies.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 217-231
- Natural history of untreated hepatocellular carcinoma in a US cohort and the role of cancer surveillance.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 15 (273-281 e271)
- 1 and 5 year survival estimates for people with cirrhosis of the liver in England, 1998-2009: a large population study.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 282-289
- Burden of liver diseases in the world.J Hepatol. 2019; 70: 151-171
- Deaths: leading causes for 2017.2019
- Mortality due to cirrhosis and liver cancer in the United States, 1999-2016: observational study.BMJ. 2018; 362k2817
- A nationwide study of inpatient Admissions, mortality, and costs for patients with cirrhosis from 2005 to 2015 in the USA.Dig Dis Sci. 2020; 65: 1520-1528
- Trends in burden of cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma by underlying liver disease in US veterans, 2001-2013.Gastroenterology. 2015; 149 (1471-1482 e1475; quiz e1417-1478)
- Surveillance programme of cirrhotic patients for early diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: a cost effectiveness analysis.Gut. 2001; 48: 251-259
- Development of quality measures in cirrhosis by the practice metrics committee of the American association for the study of liver diseases.Hepatology. 2019; 69: 1787-1797
- EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines for the management of patients with decompensated cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 406-460
- Portal hypertensive bleeding in cirrhosis: risk stratification, diagnosis, and management: 2016 practice guidance by the American Association for the study of liver diseases.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 310-335
- Diagnosis, staging, and management of hepatocellular carcinoma: 2018 practice guidance by the American association for the study of liver diseases.Hepatology. 2018; 68: 723-750
- An explicit quality indicator set for measurement of quality of care in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 8: 709-717
- Measurement of the quality of care of patients admitted with decompensated cirrhosis.Liver Int. 2014; 34: 204-210
- Use of hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance in patients with cirrhosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Hepatology. 2020;
- Poor adherence to hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance: a systematic review and meta-analysis of a complex issue.Liver Int. 2018; 38: 503-514
- Factors affecting screening for hepatocellular carcinoma.Ann Hepatol. 2014; 13: 204-210
- Adherence to a semiannual surveillance program for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with liver cirrhosis.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2017; 51: 557-563
- Oral medications enhance adherence to surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma and survival in chronic hepatitis B patients.PloS One. 2017; 12e0166188
- Detection of hepatocellular carcinoma at advanced stages among patients in the HALT-C trial: where did surveillance fail?.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 425-432
- Liver care and surveillance: the global impact of COVID-19 pandemic.Hepatol Commun. 2020;
- The COVID-19 pandemic will have a long-lasting impact on the quality of cirrhosis care.J Hepatol. 2020; 73: 441-445
- Electronic address eee, European association for the study of the L. EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 182-236
- Effectiveness of surveillance for hepatocellular carcinoma in clinical practice: a United States cohort.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 1148-1154
- Primary care providers report challenges to cirrhosis management and specialty care coordination.Dig Dis Sci. 2015; 60: 2628-2635
- The quality and outcomes of care provided to patients with cirrhosis by advanced practice providers.Hepatology. 2020; 71: 225-234
- Acceptance and use of a smartphone application in cirrhosis.Liver Int. 2020; 40: 1556-1563
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship