- •HEV can be transmitted in spite of pool testing of blood donors for HEV RNA.
- •APCs and FFP are associated with a higher risk of transmitting HEV than RCCs.
- •Pooled BD testing insufficiently reduces the risk of tt HEV when giving APC and FFP donations.
- •Single donor testing for HEV RNA should significantly increase the safety of blood products.
Background and Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2095-2128
- Hepatitis E.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1237-1244
- A nationwide survey of hepatitis E viral infection in French blood donors.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 1145-1154
- The burden of hepatitis E among patients with haematological malignancies: a retrospective European cohort study.J Hepatol. 2019; 71: 465-472
- Transfusion-transmitted hepatitis E in a 'nonhyperendemic' country.Transfus Med. 2006; 16: 79-83
- Transfusion-transmitted hepatitis E virus infection in France.Transfus Med Rev. 2019; 33: 146-153
- Hepatitis E virus in blood components: a prevalence and transmission study in southeast England.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1766-1773
- Life cycle and morphogenesis of the hepatitis E virus.Emerg Microbes Infect. 2018; 7: 196
- Transfusion-transmitted hepatitis E: NAT screening of blood donations and infectious dose.Front Med (Lausanne). 2018; 5: 5
- Hepatitis E risks: pigs or blood-that is the question.Transfusion. 2017; 57: 267-272
- Blood donor screening for hepatitis E virus in the European union.Transfus Med Hemother. 2019; 46: 95-103
- Impact of hepatitis E virus testing on the safety of blood components in Germany - results of a simulation study.Vox Sang. 2018; 113: 811-813
- Grifols. Procleix UltrioPlex E assay. 2021 ([cited 2021 23.04.2021]; Available from:)
- Human liver chimeric mice as a new model of chronic hepatitis E virus infection and preclinical drug evaluation.J Hepatol. 2016; 64: 1033-1040
- Detection of hepatitis E virus (HEV) from porcine livers in Southeastern Germany and high sequence homology to human HEV isolates.J Clin Virol. 2011; 52: 50-54
- HEVnet: a One Health, collaborative, interdisciplinary network and sequence data repository for enhanced hepatitis E virus molecular typing, characterisation and epidemiological investigations.Euro Surveill. 2019; 24
- MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput.Nucleic Acids Res. 2004; 32: 1792-1797
- RAxML version 8: a tool for phylogenetic analysis and post-analysis of large phylogenies.Bioinformatics. 2014; 30: 1312-1313
- Update: proposed reference sequences for subtypes of hepatitis E virus (species Orthohepevirus A).J Gen Virol. 2020; 101: 692-698
- Wantai HEV ELISA assays.2021 ([cited 13.07.2021]; Available from:)
- Hepatitis E virus blood donor NAT screening: as much as possible or as much as needed?.Transfusion. 2019; 59: 612-622
- Hepatitis E virus seroprevalence among adults, Germany.Emerg Infect Dis. 2012; 18: 1654-1657
- Absence of persistent hepatitis E virus infection in antibody-deficient patients is associated with transfer of antigen-neutralizing antibodies from immunoglobulin products.J Infect Dis. 2019; 219: 245-253
- Absence of chronic hepatitis E in a German cohort of common variable immunodeficiency patients.Infect Dis Rep. 2012; 4: e28
- Characterization of the quasi-enveloped hepatitis E virus particles released by the cellular exosomal pathway.J Virol. 2017; 91
- Characterization of the lipid envelope of exosome encapsulated HEV particles protected from the immune response.Biochimie. 2017; 141: 70-79
- Hepatitis E virus genome detection in commercial pork livers and pork meat products in Germany.J Viral Hepat. 2021; 28: 196-204
- Meat consumers and non-meat consumers in Germany: a characterisation based on results of the German National Nutrition Survey II.J Nutr Sci. 2019; 8: e21
- Meat consumption is a major risk factor for hepatitis E virus infection.PloS One. 2017; 12e0176414
- Rabbit HEV in immunosuppressed patients with hepatitis E acquired in Switzerland.J Hepatol. 2019; 70: 1023-1025
- Rabbit hepatitis E virus infections in humans, France.Emerg Infect Dis. 2017; 23: 1191-1193
- Hepatitis E virus in feral rabbits along a rural-urban transect in Central Germany.Infect Genet Evol. 2018; 61: 155-159
- Hepatitis E in blood donors: investigation of the natural course of asymptomatic infection, Germany, 2011.Euro Surveill. 2016; : 21