What are the challenges of detecting portal hypertension in NAFLD?
What is the evidence for portal hypertension in non-cirrhotic NAFLD?
What cellular and molecular mechanisms are associated with subclinical portal hypertension in NAFLD?
What is the role of mechanotransduction in exacerbating disease progression and portal hypertension?
- Tanaka K.
- Joshi D.
- Timalsina S.
- Schwartz M.A.
Conflict of interest
- Multimedia component 1
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - a global public health perspective.J Hepatol. 2019; 70: 531-544
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Lancet. 2021; 397: 2212-2224
- Peripheral and hepatic vein cytokine levels in correlation with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)-related metabolic, histological, and haemodynamic features.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0143380
- Visceral adiposity and insulin resistance are independent predictors of the presence of non-cirrhotic NAFLD-related portal hypertension.Int J Obes (Lond). 2011; 35: 270-278
- Patients with signs of advanced liver disease and clinically significant portal hypertension do not necessarily have cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 17: 2101-2109 e2101
- Prevalence and indicators of portal hypertension in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 10: 1028-1033 e1022
- Stage of fibrosis and portal pressure correlation in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 29: 516-523
- Agreement between wedged hepatic venous pressure and portal pressure in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis-related cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2021; 74: 811-818
- Restoration of liver sinusoidal cell phenotypes by statins improves portal hypertension and histology in rats with NASH.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 20183
- Mechanical stretch increases expression of CXCL1 in liver sinusoidal endothelial cells to recruit neutrophils, generate sinusoidal microthombi, and promote portal hypertension.Gastroenterology. 2019; 157: 193-209 e199
- The portal hypertension syndrome: etiology, classification, relevance, and animal models.Hepatol Int. 2018; 12: 1-10
- The prognostic value of hepatic venous pressure gradient in patients with cirrhosis is highly dependent on the accuracy of the technique.Hepatology. 2015; 62: 1584-1592
- Invasive and non-invasive assessment of portal hypertension.Hepatol Int. 2018; 12: S44-S55
- The clinical use of HVPG measurements in chronic liver disease.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009; 6: 573-582
- Presinusoidal portal hypertension in non-alcoholic cirrhosis.Hepatology. 1985; 5: 415-418
- A comparison of the fibrotic potential of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and chronic hepatitis C.Hum Pathol. 2010; 41: 1178-1185
- Impact of deep sedation on the accuracy of hepatic and portal venous pressure measurements in patients with cirrhosis.Liver Int. 2014; 34: 16-25
- The natural history of advanced fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: data from the simtuzumab trials.Hepatology. 2019; 70: 1913-1927
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient predicts clinical decompensation in patients with compensated cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 481-488
- Porto-sinusoidal vascular disease: proposal and description of a novel entity.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 4: 399-411
- Portal pressure measurement: have we come full circle?.Gastrointest Endosc. 2021; 93: 573-576
- Application of artificial intelligence for diagnosis and risk stratification in NAFLD and NASH- the state of the art.Hepatology. 2021; 74: 2233-2240
- Hepatic microvascular dysfunction during evolution of dietary steatohepatitis in mice.Hepatology. 2004; 40: 386-393
- Increased intrahepatic resistance in severe steatosis: endothelial dysfunction, vasoconstrictor overproduction and altered microvascular architecture.Lab Invest. 2012; 92: 1428-1439
- Sinusoidal endothelial dysfunction precedes inflammation and fibrosis in a model of NAFLD.PLoS One. 2012; 7e32785
- Restoration of a healthy intestinal microbiota normalizes portal hypertension in a rat model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 1485-1498
- Does pressure cause liver cirrhosis? The sinusoidal pressure hypothesis.World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 10482-10501
- Noninvasive predictors of fibrosis in NASH with and without cirrhosis, just as good as histology (and hepatic venous pressure gradient?).Hepatology. 2016; 63: 660-661
- Liver sinusoidal endothelial cells: physiology and role in liver diseases.J Hepatol. 2017; 66: 212-227
- Role of liver sinusoidal endothelial cells in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J Hepatol. 2019; 70: 1278-1291
- Centrizonal arteries and microvessels in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Am J Surg Pathol. 2011; 35: 1400-1404
- Liver sinusoidal endothelial cells in hepatic fibrosis.Hepatology. 2015; 61: 1740-1746
- Electron microscopic observations in perfusion-fixed human non-alcoholic fatty liver disease biopsies.Pathology (Phila). 2021; 53: 220-228
- Single cell RNA sequencing of human liver reveals distinct intrahepatic macrophage populations.Nat Commun. 2018; 9: 4383
- Immunofluorescence identifies distinct subsets of endothelial cells in the human liver.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 44356
- Tissue mechanics and fibrosis.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013; 1832: 884-890
- Mechanotransduction in liver diseases.Semin Liver Dis. 2020; 40: 84-90
- Endothelial mechanotransduction, redox signaling and the regulation of vascular inflammatory pathways.Front Physiol. 2018; 9: 524
- Early events in endothelial flow sensing.Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2021; https://doi.org/10.1002/cm.21652
- P300 acetyltransferase mediates stiffness-induced activation of hepatic stellate cells into tumor-promoting myofibroblasts.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 2209-2221 e2214
- Nuclear deformation mediates liver cell mechanosensing in cirrhosis.JHEP Rep. 2020; 2: 100145
- Lipid droplets disrupt mechanosensing in human hepatocytes.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2020; 319: G11-G22
- New aspects of hepatic endothelial cells in physiology and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2020; 318: C1200-C1213
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship.