- •Silencing hepatocyte TAZ in pre-tumor NASH suppresses subsequent HCC.
- •Cybb is the key TAZ-induced gene in NASH hepatocytes that triggers tumor formation.
- •Cybb encodes NOX2, which promotes HCC by inducing oxidative DNA damage.
- •Silencing hepatocyte Cybb in pre-tumor NASH, or blocking DNA damage, suppresses HCC.
- •TAZ, NOX2, oxidative DNA damage are strongly correlated in human NASH-HCC liver.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The global NAFLD epidemic.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 10: 686-690
- Obesity and liver disease: the epidemic of the twenty-first century.Clin Liver Dis. 2014; 18: 1-18
- NAFLD, NASH and liver cancer.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 10: 656-665
- Global epidemiology of NAFLD-related HCC: trends, predictions, risk factors and prevention.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 18: 223-238
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in the absence of cirrhosis in United States veterans is associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14: 124-131 e121
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in the setting of non-cirrhotic nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and the metabolic syndrome: us experience.Dig Dis Sci. 2015; 60: 3142-3148
- Hepatocellular carcinomas in patients with metabolic syndrome often develop without significant liver fibrosis: a pathological analysis.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 851-859
- Hepatocyte TAZ/WWTR1 promotes inflammation and fibrosis in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Cell Metab. 2016; 24: 848-862
- The generation of carcinogenic etheno-DNA adducts in the liver of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2015; 4: 117-123
- A dual role of caspase-8 in triggering and sensing proliferation-associated DNA damage, a key determinant of liver cancer development.Cancer Cell. 2017; 32: 342-359.e310
- Accumulation of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine, L-arginine and glucose metabolites by liver tumor cells are the important characteristic features of metabolic syndrome and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis-associated hepatocarcinogenesis.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 7746
- Hepatocyte-specific TAZ deletion downregulates p62/Sqstm1 expression in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2021; 535: 60-65
- Downregulation of hedgehog ligands in human simple steatosis may protect against nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: is TAZ a crucial regulator?.IUBMB Life. 2019; 71: 1382-1390
- Cholesterol stabilizes TAZ in hepatocytes to promote experimental non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.Cell Metab. 2020; 31: 969-986 e967
- Molecular characterisation of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: 865-878
- 8-Hydroxy-2'-deoxy-guanosine is a risk factor for development of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 23: 1431-1436
- The Hippo pathway effector TAZ induces TEAD-dependent liver inflammation and tumors.Sci Signal. 2018; 11eaaj1757
- An imbalance in TAZ and YAP expression in hepatocellular carcinoma confers cancer stem cell-like behaviors contributing to disease progression.Cancer Res. 2015; 75: 4985-4997
- Distinct and overlapping roles of hippo effectors YAP and TAZ during human and mouse hepatocarcinogenesis.Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 11: 1095-1117
- Hippo pathway effector Yap promotes cardiac regeneration.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 13839-13844
- Obesity-induced gut microbial metabolite promotes liver cancer through senescence secretome.Nature. 2013; 499: 97-101
- A therapeutic silencing RNA targeting hepatocyte TAZ prevents and reverses fibrosis in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in mice.Hepatol Commun. 2019; 3: 1221-1234
- Notch activity characterizes a common hepatocellular carcinoma subtype with unique molecular and clinicopathologic features.J Hepatol. 2021; 74: 613-626
- Hepatocyte Notch activation induces liver fibrosis in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Sci Transl Med. 2018; 10eaat0344
- High risk of hepatocellular carcinoma development in fibrotic liver: role of the Hippo-YAP/TAZ signaling pathway.Int J Mol Sci. 2019; 20: 581
- Role of the transcriptional coactivators YAP/TAZ in liver cancer.Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2019; 61: 64-71
- From NASH to HCC: current concepts and future challenges.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 16: 411-428
- Inflammatory mechanisms underlying nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and the transition to hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13
- Mammalian Ogg1/Mmh gene plays a major role in repair of the 8-hydroxyguanine lesion in DNA.Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol. 2001; 68: 107-123
- The central role of DNA damage in the ageing process.Nature. 2021; 592: 695-703
- The role of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase-derived reactive oxygen species in the acquisition of metastatic ability of tumor cells.Am J Pathol. 2006; 169: 294-302
- Oxidative stress and hepatic Nox proteins in chronic hepatitis C and hepatocellular carcinoma.Free Radic Biol Med. 2014; 72: 267-284
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship