- •HBsAg carrier rates have fallen below 2% in the Taiwanese population born within the last 35 years.
- •Approximately 5% of vaccinated individuals had occult HBV infection (OBI).
- •<1% of vaccinated pregnant mothers were HBsAg carriers, whereas around 6% had OBI in the present study.
- •It was possible for mothers with OBI to transmit HBV to their babies.
- •Viremia was cleared 1 year after completing the hepatitis B vaccination series.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hepatitis B virus infection among pregnant women in Taiwan: comparison between women born in Taiwan and other southeast countries.BMC Public Health. 2008; 8: 49
- The impact of universal infant hepatitis B immunization on reducing the hepatitis B carrier rate in pregnant women.J Infect Dis. 2019; 220: 1118-1126
- Effects of maternal screening and universal immunization to prevent mother-to-infant transmission of HBV.Gastroenterology. 2012; 142: 773-781
- Failed postnatal immunoprophylaxis for hepatitis B: characteristics of maternal hepatitis B virus as risk factors.Clin Infect Dis. 1998; 27: 100-106
- Quantitative analysis of HBV DNA level and HBeAg titer in hepatitis B surface antigen positive mothers and their babies: HBeAg passage through the placenta and the rate of decay in babies.J Med Virol. 2003; 71: 360-366
- Antepartum immunoprophylaxis of three doses of hepatitis B immunoglobulin is not effective: a single-centre randomized study.J Viral Hepat. 2006; 13: 597-604
- Vertical transmission of hepatitis B virus despite maternal lamivudine therapy.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1488-1489
- Lamivudine in late pregnancy to prevent perinatal transmission of hepatitis B virus infection: a multicentre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.J Viral Hepat. 2009; 16: 94-103
- A prospective and open-label study for the efficacy and safety of telbivudine in pregnancy for the prevention of perinatal transmission of hepatitis B virus infection.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 1215-1221
- Effect of elective cesarean section on the risk of mother-to-child transmission of hepatitis B virus.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2013; 13: 119
- Antiviral therapy in chronic hepatitis B viral infection during pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 319-333
- EASL 2017 Clinical Practice Guidelines on the management of hepatitis B virus infection.J Hepatol. 2017; 67: 370-398
- Update on prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of chronic hepatitis B: AASLD 2018 hepatitis B guidance.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 1560-1599
WHO. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of hepatitis B virus: Guidelines on antiviral prophylaxis in pregnancy. Last update 27 Jul 2020. Retrieved on 12 Dec 2020 from https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/978-92-4-000270-8.
- Asian-Pacific clinical practice guidelines on the management of hepatitis B: a 2015 update.Hepatol Int. 2016; 10: 1-98
- Hepatitis B in pregnancy.Frontline Gastroenterol. 2014; 5: 111-117
- Vaccine-induced escape mutant of hepatitis B virus.Lancet. 1990; 336: 325-329
- Survey of hepatitis B surface variant infection in children 15 years after a nationwide vaccination programme in Taiwan.Gut. 2004; 53: 1499-1503
- Update of the statements on biology and clinical impact of occult hepatitis B virus infection.J Hepatol. 2019; 71: 397-408
- Nucleic acid testing to detect HBV infection in blood donors.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 236-247
- Occult HBV infection.Semin Immunopathol. 2013; 35: 39-52
- Low doses of hepadnavirus induce infection of the lymphatic system that does not engage the liver.J Virol. 2004; 78: 1730-1738
- Hepatitis B viremia in completely immunized individuals negative for anti-hepatitis B core antibody.Medicine. 2016; 95e5625
- Intra-familial evidence of horizontal transmission of hepatitis B virus surface antigen mutant G145R.J Infect. 2000; 41: 260-264
- Transmission of occult hepatitis B virus by transfusion to adult and pediatric recipients in Taiwan.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 39-46
- Multiple HBV transfusion transmissions from undetected occult infections: revising the minimal infectious dose.Gut. 2019; 68: 313-321
- Persistence of infectious hepadnavirus in the offspring of woodchuck mothers recovered from viral hepatitis.J Clin Invest. 1999; 104: 203-212
- Vertical transmission of hepatitis B virus (HBV) from mothers negative for HBV surface antigen and positive for antibody to HBV core antigen.J Infect Dis. 2009; 200: 1227-1231
- Peginterferon is superior to nucleos(t)ide analogues for prevention of hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis B.J Infect Dis. 2016; 213: 966-974
- MEGA X: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis across computing platforms.Mol Biol Evol. 2018; 35: 1547-1549
- Hepatitis B virus genetic variability and evolution.Virus Res. 2007; 127: 164-176
- Continuing decrease in hepatitis B virus infection 30 years after initiation of infant vaccination program in Taiwan.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14: 1324-1330
- Epidemiology of HBV S-gene mutants in the Liguria Region, Italy: implications for surveillance and detection of new escape variants.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013; 9: 568-571
- Emergence of hepatitis B virus S gene mutants in patients experiencing hepatitis B surface antigen seroconversion after peginterferon therapy.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 101-108
- Occult persistence and lymphotropism of hepadnaviral infection: insights from the woodchuck viral hepatitis model.Immunol Rev. 2000; 174: 98-111
- Incidence and duration of hepatitis B surface antigenemia after neonatal hepatitis B immunization.J Pediatr. 1994; 125: 621-622
- Diverse immune responses to HBV surface epitope variants after vaccine booster in adolescents immunized in infancy.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 1140-1146
Acute Hepatitis - Taiwan Centers for Disease Control. Assessed on 20 Oct 2021 from https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Category/ListContent/bg0g_VU_Ysrgkes_KRUDgQ?uaid=gvF-US_HVAZXQLg1VUXkTw.
- Effect of age on the incidence of acute hepatitis B after 25 years of a universal newborn hepatitis B immunization program in Taiwan.J Infect Dis. 2012; 205: 757-762
- Clinical features and outcome of acute hepatitis B in pregnancy.BMC Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 1-7
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship