- •We assessed whole blood platelet aggregation in cirrhosis by means of a PLT ratio.
- •Patients with cirrhosis have a higher PLT ratio than those with chronic hepatitis/healthy individuals.
- •PLT ratio increases significantly with severity of cirrhosis (Child-Pugh C>B>A).
- •In decompensated patients, PLT ratio is associated with progression of cirrhosis.
Background & Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Patterns of blood component use in cirrhosis: a nationwide study.Liver Int. 2016; 36: 522-529
- Platelet count does not predict bleeding in cirrhotic patients: results from the PRO-LIVER study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2018; 113: 368-375
- Reduced clot stability by thromboelastography as a potential indicator of procedure-related bleeding in decompensated cirrhosis.Hepatol Commun. 2021; 5: 272-282
- Vascular liver disorders, portal vein thrombosis, and procedural bleeding in patients with liver disease: 2020 practice guidance by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.Hepatology. 2021; 73: 366-413
- Periprocedural management of abnormal coagulation parameters and thrombocytopenia in patients with cirrhosis: guidance from the SSC of the ISTH.J Thromb Haemost. 2021;
- Reversal of hypercoagulability in patients with HCV-related cirrhosis after treatment with direct-acting antivirals.Liver Int. 2018; 38: 2210-2218
- Acute kidney injury in decompensated cirrhosis is associated with both hypo-coagulable and hyper-coagulable features.Hepatology. 2020; 72: 1327-1340
- Mortality in liver transplant recipients with portal vein thrombosis - an updated meta-analysis.Transpl Int. 2018; 31: 1318-1329
- Current knowledge and management of portal vein thrombosis in cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: 442-453
- Incidence, predictive factors and clinical significance of development of portal vein thrombosis in cirrhosis: a prospective study.Liver Int. 2019; 39: 1459-1467
- Predicting portal thrombosis in cirrhosis: a prospective study of clinical, ultrasonographic and hemostatic factors.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: 1367-1376
- Hemostatic alterations in patients with cirrhosis: from primary hemostasis to fibrinolysis.Hepatology. 2020; 71: 2135-2148
- Low-grade endotoxemia and platelet activation in cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 571-581
- Pitfalls in assessing platelet activation status in patients with liver disease.Liver Int. 2012; 32 (author reply 1028): 1027
- Perioperative management of antithrombotic treatment.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2020; 34: 35-50
- Platelet aggregometry testing: molecular mechanisms, techniques and clinical implications.Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18
- Multiplate® platelet aggregation findings are dependent on platelet count but can be corrected by use of a ratio.Appl Sci. 2020; 10: 7971
- Implementing pre-procedural thrombopoietin receptor agonists in cirrhotic patients with severe thrombocytopenia: indiscriminate, selective or unneeded?.Dig Liver Dis. 2021; 53: 1394-1395
- Role of hemostatic factors in hepatic injury and disease: animal models de-liver.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 1337-1349
- Baveno VII - renewing consensus in portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2021;
- Portal hypertensive bleeding in cirrhosis: risk stratification, diagnosis, and management: 2016 practice guidance by the American Association for the study of liver diseases.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 310-335
- Subcommittee on Control of Anticoagulation of the S, Standardization Committee of the International Society on T, Haemostasis. Definition of major bleeding in clinical investigations of antihemostatic medicinal products in non-surgical patients.J Thromb Haemost. 2005; 3: 692-694
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure is a distinct syndrome that develops in patients with acute decompensation of cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144 (1437 e1421-1429): 1426-1437
- Natural history and stages of cirrhosis.in: De Franchis R. Dell’Era A. Variceal hemorrhage. Springer-Verlag, New York2014 2014
- Influence of hepatocellular carcinoma on platelet aggregation in cirrhosis.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13
- EASL clinical practice guidelines: management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 182-236
- Diagnosis and management of acute kidney injury in patients with cirrhosis: revised consensus recommendations of the International Club of Ascites.Gut. 2015; 64: 531-537
- More pronounced hypercoagulable state and hypofibrinolysis in patients with cirrhosis with versus without HCC.Hepatol Commun. 2021;
- Thromboelastographic evaluation of hemostatic balance in cirrhotic patients with infection.Dig Liv Dis. 2017; 49
- Platelet function in patients with cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2012; 56 (author reply 994-995): 993-994
- Elevated levels of von Willebrand Factor in cirrhosis support platelet adhesion despite reduced functional capacity.Hepatology. 2006; 44: 53-61
- Coagulopathy is not predictive of bleeding in patients with acute decompensation of cirrhosis and acute-on-chronic liver failure.Liver Int. 2021; 41: 2455-2466
- Risk and outcome of venous and arterial thrombosis in patients with cirrhosis: a Danish nation-wide cohort study.Hepatology. 2021; 74: 2725-2734
- Eltrombopag for thrombocytopenia in patients with cirrhosis associated with hepatitis C.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 2227-2236
- Impedance aggregometry reveals increased platelet aggregation during liver transplantation.J Clin Med. 2019; 8
- Platelet functions beyond hemostasis.J Thromb Haemost. 2009; 7: 1759-1766
- Platelets as modulators of liver diseases.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2018; 44: 114-125
- Pathophysiology of decompensated cirrhosis: portal hypertension, circulatory dysfunction, inflammation, metabolism and mitochondrial dysfunction.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: S49-S66
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship