- •Carvedilol significantly decreases the risk of decompensation in patients with cirrhosis and CSPH, mainly by reducing risk of ascites.
- •Even more importantly, carvedilol significantly improves survival in compensated patients.
- •Early initiation of carvedilol could prevent disease progression in patients with compensated cirrhosis and CSPH.
- •Patients with compensated cirrhosis should be screened for CSPH, so that treatment can be started early.
Background & Aims
PROSPERO registration number
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Liver cirrhosis.Lancet. 2014; 383: 1749-1761
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient predicts clinical decompensation in patients with compensated cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 481-488
- Portal hypertensive bleeding in cirrhosis: risk stratification, diagnosis and management: 2016 practice guidance by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 310-335
- Development of hyperdynamic circulation and response to β-blockers in compensated cirrhosis with portal hypertension.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 197-206
- Banding ligation versus beta-blockers for primary prevention in esophageal varices in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 8: CD004544
- Comparison of therapies for primary prevention of esophageal variceal bleeding: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Hepatology. 2019; 69: 1657-1675
- β blockers to prevent decompensation of cirrhosis in patients with clinically significant portal hypertension (PREDESCI): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1597-1608
- Beta-blockers to prevent gastroesophageal varices in patients with cirrhosis.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2254-2261
- Systematic review with meta-analysis: the haemodynamic effects of carvedilol compared with propranolol for portal hypertension in cirrhosis.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 39: 557-568
- Carvedilol for primary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patients with haemodynamic non-response to propranolol.Gut. 2013; 62: 1634-1641
- Carvedilol.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1759-1765
- Carvedilol for portal hypertension in patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 2214-2218
- The hyperdynamic circulation of chronic liver diseases: from the patient to the molecule.Hepatology. 2006; 43: S121-S131
- Randomized controlled trial of carvedilol versus variceal band ligation for the prevention of the first variceal bleed.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 825-833
- Carvedilol delays the progression of small oesophageal varices in patients with cirrhosis: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Gut. 2017; 66: 1838-1843
- Carvedilol vs esophageal variceal band ligation in the primary prophylaxis of variceal hemorrhage: a multicentre randomized controlled trial.J Hepatol. 2014; 60: 757-764
- Efficacy of carvedilol versus propranolol versus variceal band ligation for primary prevention of variceal bleeding.Hepatol Int. 2018; 12: 75-82
- Meta-analysis of individual participant data: rationale, conduct, and reporting.BMJ. 2010; 340: c221
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analyses of individual participant data: the PRISMA-IPD statement.JAMA. 2015; 313: 1657-1665
- Comparison of carvedilol and esophageal variceal band ligation for prevention of variceal bleed among cirrhotic patients.Park J Med Health Sci. 2017; 11: 1046-1048
- Is carvedilol better than propranolol in preventing variceal bleeding.J Hepatol. 2019; 70: e645
- Evaluation of carvedilol in prevention of first attack of variceal hemorrhage in patients with liver cirrhosis.Afro-Egypt J Infect Endem Dis. 2012; 2: 87-91
- Evaluation of treatment with carvedilol in comparison to propranolol in primary/secondary prophylaxis of gastroesophageal variceal bleeding.Indian J Gastroenterol. 2011; 30: A46
- Carvedilol versus propranolol effect in the primary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patients with portal vein thrombosis.United Eur Gastroenterol J. 2017; 5: A405
- Endoscopic variceal ligation alone versus endoscopic variceal ligation plus carvedilol in variceal bleeding prophylaxis in cirrhotic patients.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: S261-S262
- Endoscopic band ligation versus carvedilol for primary prevention of bleeding oesophageal varices clinical, biochemical and Doppler ultrasonographic evaluation.AAMJ. 2010; 8 (Available from:)
- EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines for the management of patients with decompensated cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 406-460
- Baveno VII-Renewing consensus in portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2022; 76: 959-974
- Carvedilol is associated with improved survival in patients with cirrhosis: a long-term follow-up study.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2021; 53: 531-539
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts with covered stents increase transplant-free survival of patients with cirrhosis and recurrent ascites.Gastroenterology. 2017; 152: 157-163
- Small diameter shunts should lead to safe expansion of the use of TIPS.J Hepatol. 2021; 74: 230-234
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient response in non-selective beta-blocker treatment—is it worth measuring?.Curr Hepatol Rep. 2019; 18: 174-186
- Short-term hemodynamic effects of b-blockers influence survival of patients with decompensated cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2020; 73: 829-841
- Randomized comparison of long-term carvedilol and propranolol administration in the treatment of portal hypertension in cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2002; 36: 1367-1373
- Protective antioxidant effects of carvedilol in a rat model of ischaemia-reperfusion injury.J Int Med Res. 2005; 33: 528-536
- New therapeutic aspect for carvedilol: antifibrotic effects of carvedilol in chronic carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012; 261: 292-299
- Assessment of publication bias, selection bias, and unavailable data in meta-analyses using individual participant data: a database survey.BMJ. 2012; 344: d7762