- •Alcohol directly induces neutrophil extracellular trap formation in neutrophils.
- •Alcohol-induced neutrophil extracellular trap production increases low-density neutrophils in AH.
- •Low-density neutrophils in AH have a defective phenotype and exhibit reduced homing and clearance.
- •High-density neutrophils in AH have an activated phenotype.
Background & Aims
Impact and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Alcoholic hepatitis.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 2758-2769
- Current trials and novel therapeutic targets for alcoholic hepatitis.J Hepatol. 2019; 70: 305-313
- Baseline neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts response to corticosteroids and is associated with infection and renal dysfunction in alcoholic hepatitis.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 50: 442-453
- Prognostic value of neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio in patients with severe alcoholic hepatitis.Cureus. 2019; 11: e6141
- Neutrophil recruitment and function in health and inflammation.Nat Rev Immunol. 2013; 13: 159-175
- Neutrophil extracellular traps in sepsis.Shock. 2014; 42: 286-294
- An extracellular matrix-based mechanism of rapid neutrophil extracellular trap formation in response to Candida albicans.J Immunol. 2013; 190: 4136-4148
- Neutrophils and neutrophil extracellular traps in the liver and gastrointestinal system.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 15: 206-221
- Neutrophil extracellular traps induce organ damage during experimental and clinical sepsis.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0148142
- Neutrophil extracellular trap induced by HMGB1 exacerbates damages in the ischemic brain.Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2019; 7: 94
- On the origin of low-density neutrophils.J Leukoc Biol. 2020; 107: 809-818
- Low-density granulocytes: a distinct class of neutrophils in systemic autoimmunity.Semin Immunopathol. 2013; 35: 455-463
- Phenotypic diversity and plasticity in circulating neutrophil subpopulations in cancer.Cell Rep. 2015; 10: 562-573
- Mouse model of chronic and binge ethanol feeding (the NIAAA model).Nat Protoc. 2013; 8: 627-637
- Gut-liver axis in alcoholic liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2015; 148: 30-36
- CD14+,CD16+ blood monocytes and joint inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2002; 46: 2578-2586
- Emergency granulopoiesis.Nat Rev Immunol. 2014; 14: 302-314
- Biomarkers of macrophage activation and immune danger signals predict clinical outcomes in alcoholic hepatitis.Hepatology. 2019; 70: 1134-1149
- Functional characterization of mitochondria in neutrophils: a role restricted to apoptosis.Cell Death Differ. 2004; 11: 143-153
- Infection-induced NETosis is a dynamic process involving neutrophil multitasking in vivo.Nat Med. 2012; 18: 1386-1393
- Viable neutrophils release mitochondrial DNA to form neutrophil extracellular traps.Cel Death Differ. 2009; 16: 1438-1444
- CXCR4, the master regulator of neutrophil trafficking in homeostasis and disease.Eur J Clin Invest. 2018; 48e12949
- Engulfment signals and the phagocytic machinery for apoptotic cell clearance.Exp Mol Med. 2017; 49: e331
- Eat-me signals: keys to molecular phagocyte biology and “appetite” control.J Cel Physiol. 2012; 227: 1291-1297
- Neutrophil extracellular traps (NET) induced by different stimuli: a comparative proteomic analysis.PLoS One. 2019; 14: e0218946
- Neutrophil dysfunction in alcoholic hepatitis superimposed on cirrhosis is reversible and predicts the outcome.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 831-840
- Abnormal neutrophil traps and impaired efferocytosis contribute to liver injury and sepsis severity after binge alcohol use.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 1145-1154
- Gene-selective histone H3 acetylation in the absence of increase in global histone acetylation in liver of rats chronically fed alcohol.Alcohol Alcohol. 2012; 47: 233-239
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor delays neutrophil apoptosis by inhibition of calpains upstream of caspase-3.Blood. 2008; 112: 2046-2054
- Efficacy of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and N-acetylcysteine therapies in patients with severe alcoholic hepatitis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 16: 1650-1656 e2