- •We identified 78 high-confidence cases of NTF-DILI in US DILIN studies from 2004-2020.
- •Liver injury could occur following, short, intermediate and long drug exposures.
- •Long-exposure NTF-DILI cases had greater frequency of AST > ALT, ANA or SMA positivity, and corticosteroid use.
- •No one in the short-exposure group died or underwent transplantation compared to 12% from the other groups combined.
- •There was a significant association between NTF-DILI and HLA-DRB1∗11:04
Background & Aims
Impact and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- LiverTox: clinical and research information on drug-induced liver injury.([Internet]) National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda (MD)2012 (Nitrofurantoin. [Updated 2020 May 1]. Available from:)
Kane SP. Nitrofurantoin, ClinCalc DrugStats Database, Version 2021.10. ClinCalc: https://clincalc.com/DrugStats/Drugs/Nitrofurantoin. Updated September 15, 2021. Accessed December 27, 2021.
- Features and outcomes of 899 patients with drug-induced liver injury: the DILIN prospective study.Gastroenterology. 2015 Jun; 148: 1340-1352
- Drug induced acute liver failure: results of a U.S. multicenter prospective study.Hepatology. 2010; 52: 2065-2076
- Trends in liver transplant waitlisting and outcomes for drug-induced liver injury in the United States.Liver Transplant. 2022; 28: 169-179
- Hepatic injury associated with use of nitrofurans: a clinicopathological study of 52 reported cases.Hepatology. 1988; 8: 599-606
- Adverse reactions to nitrofurantoin. Analysis of 921 reports.Am J Med. 1980; 69: 733-738
- Drug-induced hepatic injury: an analysis of 1100 cases reported to the Danish Committee on Adverse Drug Reactions between 1978 and 1987.J Intern Med. 1992; 232: 133-138
- Drug associated hepatic reactions in New Zealand: 21 years’ experience.N Z Med J. 1996; 109: 315-319
- Hepatic toxicity of nitrofurantoin. Cases reported to the center for monitoring adverse drug reactions 1968-1998. Danish.Ugeskr Laeger. 1999; 161: 6650-6652
- HLA-B-∗5701 genotype is a major determinant of drug-induced liver injury due to flucloxacillin.Nat Genet. 2009; 41: 816-819
- Susceptibility to amoxicillin-clavulanate-induced liver injury is influenced by multiple HLA class I and II alleles.Gastroenterology. 2011; 141: 338-347
- The role of HLA-A∗33:01 in patients with cholestatic hepatitis attributed to terbinafine.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 1317-1325
- Human leukocyte antigen B∗14:01 and B∗35:01 are associated with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole induced liver injury.Hepatology. 2021; 73: 268-281
- Nitrofurantoin: another cause of drug-induced chronic active hepatitis? A report of a patient with HLA-B8 antigen.Am J Med. 1979; 67: 117-121
- Features of autoimmune hepatitis in patients with drug-induced liver injury.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 15: 103-112
- Drug-Induced Liver Injury Network (DILIN) prospective study: rationale, design and conduct.Drug Saf. 2009; 32: 55-68
- Causes, clinical features, and outcomes from a prospective study of drug-induced liver injury in the United States.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135 (1934 e1-4): 1924-1934
- A missense variant in PTPN22 is a risk factor for drug-induced liver injury.Gastroenterology. 2019; 156: 1707-17016 e2
- HIBAG--HLA genotype imputation with attribute bagging.Pharmacogenomics J. 2014; 14 (PMCID: PMC3772955): 192-200
- Principal components analysis corrects for stratification in genome-wide association studies.Nat Genet. 2006; 38: 904-909
- Discovery of ERAP2 gene expression as a risk factor for drug-induced liver injury due to amoxicillin-clavulanic acid.Hepatology. 2019; 70 (Abstract): 137A-138A
- qvalue: Q-value estimation for false discovery rate control.(R package version 2.28.0)2022
- Death and liver transplantation within two years of onset of drug-induced liver injury.Hepatology. 2017; 66: 1275-1285
- HLA-B∗35:01 and green tea induced liver injury.Hepatology. 2021; 73: 2484-2493
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/020064s019lbl.pdf (Accessed on May/8/2022).
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/016620s068lbl.pdf (Accessed on May/8/2022).
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/009175s037lbl.pdf (Accessed on May/8/2022).
- Preferential use of nitrofurantoin over fluoroquinolones for acute uncomplicated cystitis and outpatient Escherichia coli resistance in an integrated health care system.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 461-468
- Setting up criteria for drug-induced autoimmune-like hepatitis through a systematic analysis of published reports.Hepatol Commun. 2022; 6 (8): 1895-1909
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship