- •Currently there is no finite cure for chronic HBV infection.
- •Combination therapy with immune modulators and other HBV-specific agents are being explored.
- •The immune modulator selgantolimod is an oral agonist of Toll-like receptor 8.
- •Selgantolimod once-weekly was given to individuals with chronic HBV for 6 months.
- •Six months after treatment, a minority experienced serologic changes associated with durable cure.
Background & Aims
Impact and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Therapeutic potential of TLR8 agonist GS-9688 (Selgantolimod) in chronic hepatitis B: remodeling of antiviral and regulatory mediators.Hepatology. 2021; 74: 55-71
- Discovery of GS-9688 (Selgantolimod) as a potent and selective oral Toll-like receptor 8 Agonist for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.J Med Chem. 2020; 63: 10188-10203
- The history of Toll-like receptors - redefining innate immunity.Nat Rev Immunol. 2013; 13: 453-460
- TLR8: the forgotten relative revindicated.Cell Mol Immunol. 2012; 9: 434-438
- Synthetic TLR agonists reveal functional differences between human TLR7 and TLR8.J Immunol. 2005; 174: 1259-1268
- TLR8 agonists stimulate newly recruited monocyte-derived cells into potent APCs that enhance HBsAg immunogenicity.Vaccine. 2010; 28: 6273-6281
- Toll-like receptor agonists influence the magnitude and quality of memory T cell responses after prime-boost immunization in nonhuman primates.J Exp Med. 2006; 203: 1249-1258
World Health Organization. Hepatitis B Key Facts. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/hepatitis-b. Accessed February 18, 2021.
- Asian-Pacific clinical practice guidelines on the management of hepatitis B: a 2015 update.Hepatol Int. 2016; 10: 1-98
- Prevention of hepatitis B virus infection in the United States: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2018; 67: 1-31
- Chronic hepatitis B: Virology, natural history, current management and a glimpse at future opportunities.Antivir Res. 2015; 121: 47-58
- Regression of cirrhosis during treatment with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for chronic hepatitis B: a 5-year open-label follow-up study.Lancet. 2013; 381: 468-475
- Hepatitis B virus-related decompensated liver cirrhosis: benefits of antiviral therapy.J Hepatol. 2012; 57: 442-450
- Long-term hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) kinetics during nucleoside/nucleotide analogue therapy: finite treatment duration unlikely.J Hepatol. 2013; 58: 676-683
- Update on prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of chronic hepatitis B: AASLD 2018 hepatitis B guidance.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 1560-1599
- Adaptive immunity in HBV infection.J Hepatol. 2016; 64: S71-S83
- Blockade of immunosuppressive cytokines restores NK cell antiviral function in chronic hepatitis B virus infection.Plos Pathog. 2010; 6e1001227
- Safety, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of selgantolimod, an oral Toll-like receptor 8 agonist: a Phase Ia study in healthy subjects.Antivir Ther. 2020; 25: 171-180
- Characterization of cytokine response to toll-like receptor 8 agonist selgantolimod (SLGN) in viremic and virally suppressed chronic hepatitis B (CHB) patients.Hepatology. 2020; 72: 437A
- Toll-like receptor 8 agonist GS-9688 induces sustained efficacy in the woodchuck model of chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology. 2021; 73: 53-67
- HBeAg seroconversion as an important end point in the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.Hepatol Int. 2009; 3: 425-433
- Safety, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of the oral TLR8 agonist selgantolimod in chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology. 2021; 74: 1737-1749