Bulevirtide recently received conditional approval from the EMA for the treatment of chronic hepatitis delta, but the ideal duration of therapy is unknown. Herein, we describe the first case of hepatitis delta cure following 3 years of bulevirtide monotherapy in a patient with compensated cirrhosis and esophageal varices. During the 72-week off-bulevirtide follow-up, virological and biochemical responses were maintained. In the off-therapy liver biopsy, intrahepatic HDV RNA and hepatitis D antigen were undetectable, <1% of hepatocytes were hepatitis B surface antigen positive and all were negative for hepatitis B core antigen. Ishak grading and staging were improved following treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hepatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 2019 EASL-AASLD HBV treatment endpoints conference faculty. Guidance for design and endpoints of clinical trials in chronic hepatitis B - report from the 2019 EASL-AASLD HBV treatment endpoints conference.J Hepatol. 2020; 72: 539-557
- Hepatitis D virus in 2021: virology, immunology and new treatment approaches for a difficult-to-treat disease.Gut. 2021; 70: 1782-1794
- Final results of a multicenter, open-label phase 2b clinical trial to assess safety and efficacy of myrcludex B in combination with tenofovir in patients with chronic HBV/HDV co-infection.J Hepatol. 2018; 68: S3
- Efficacy and safety of bulevirtide monotherapy given at 2 mg or 10 mg dose level once daily for treatment of chronic hepatitis delta: week 48 primary end point results from a phase 3 randomized, multicenter, parallel design study.J Hepatol. 2022; 77: S4
- Real life study of bulevirtide in chronic hepatitis delta: preliminary results of the ANRS HD EP01 BuleDelta prospective cohort.J Hepatol. 2022; 77: S72
- Bulevirtide treatment of hepatitis D in Germany: multicentre real-world experience.J Hepatol. 2022; 77: S823
- Bulevirtide monotherapy for 48 weeks in HDV patients with compensated cirrhosis and clinically significant portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2022; 77: 1525-1531
- Safety and effectiveness of up to 3 years' bulevirtide monotherapy in patients with HDV-related cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2022; 76: 464-469
- Hepatitis C and D, retroviruses and autoimmune manifestations.J Autoimmun. 2001; 16: 275-285
- Liver-resident bystander CD8+ T cells contribute to liver disease pathogenesis in chronic hepatitis D virus infection.Gastroenterology. 2021; 161: 1567-1583.e9
- Late HDV RNA relapse after peginterferon alpha-based therapy of chronic hepatitis delta.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 87-97
Accepted: December 8, 2022
Received in revised form: December 7, 2022
Received: October 28, 2022
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship
© 2023 European Association for the Study of the Liver. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.